Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

The stuff I ordered from America the week before last and delivered to the American addresspal depot last week arrived for me today. I will say I'm delighted with my purchases and with addresspal and glad it all went well for me because reading here there are a few people who run into issues and disappointing ones at that with stuff being delivered. I very rarely have cash in my wallet nowadays because I use card more often than not. Amazingly I had the correct amount of money for paying the customs to the postman.

As happy as I am with all this, I definitely won't be ordering much if anything else again from America. The costs all add up. For example with me my purchases and American delivery came up to under 108 euro. Then there was the address pal fee of 15.99. Then the customs tax which came up to under 24 euro. Then An post charge for handling the customs charge.

If I was to order from America it would only have to be for something I desperately want and if I can't source similar or an alternative here at home or the UK or Europe.

I have yet to come across any customs charges using USA address pal. Must of gotten lucky, I only paid the delivery fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Got scammed again today because the sender didnt put the EXACT number on my package for PO pickup..but THEY decide its for home delivery, no email with an option.....now its costing me €9.99 instead of €3.75...They must love when this happens..anyone else get caught out this way..??

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

Got scammed again today because the sender didnt put the EXACT number on my package for PO pickup..but THEY decide its for home delivery, no email with an option.....now its costing me €9.99 instead of €3.75...They must love when this happens..anyone else get caught out this way..??
    Happened to me twice, I even got DPD in the UK to change the delivery address and they still delivered it to my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

ahbell wrote: »
    Happened to me twice, I even got DPD in the UK to change the delivery address and they still delivered it to my home.

Its an absolute joke..i have 3 packages that should have been delivered a week ago...must have got blown away..!!!
    The whole country has PO's, thousands of people working for them..they could put every courier service out of business if they got their act together...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Its an absolute joke..i have 3 packages that should have been delivered a week ago...must have got blown away..!!!
    The whole country has PO's, thousands of people working for them..they could put every courier service out of business if they got their act together...:rolleyes:

Hmm... I wonder how widespread this is. If it's happening all over the country, I'd suspect there might be an undeclared policy of starving the small rural POs of work. After all, AP want to close hundreds of them.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Anyone ever used address pal in the USA when purchasing from Apple? Are there custom charges?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Shn99 wrote: »
    Anyone ever used address pal in the USA when purchasing from Apple? Are there custom charges?

Yes- and yes.
    I will never ever use their US service ever again.
    I've over to sendit.com instead.
    No nasty surprises with them (so far).
    An Post need to cop the hell on.

Yes- and yes.
    I will never ever use their US service ever again.
    I've over to sendit.com instead.
    No nasty surprises with them (so far).
    An Post need to cop the hell on.

A no go so? Thinking of getting the iphone XR through the american store for €640 instead of 879 here...does it all add up in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Discodog wrote: »
    Uk Addresspal seems to be getting slower. Packages used to arrive earlier than I expected, now they are slower.

Anyone else notice this?

I find AP from the UK waaaay slower than Parcel Motel..Im currently waiting for 6-8 working days for packages to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I find AP from the UK waaaay slower than Parcel Motel..Im currently waiting for 6-8 working days for packages to arrive.

I don't think I have ever waited that long. Usually they are quick - 2 to 3 days but lately more like 4 or 5 days.

• Advertisement

Shn99 wrote: »
    A no go so? Thinking of getting the iphone XR through the american store for €640 instead of 879 here...does it all add up in the end?

+ VAT @ 23%
    + Duty @ (I think 3.7% + 25% extra from the US)

=

+ 192
    + 29.60

= 862......

For the sake of 17 quid- just get it here- its safer- you get the Irish localised keyboard, you get an Irish warranty- and you don't have to worry about it getting damaged in shipping etc (you're only covered for EUR40 of insurance when shipping from the US- not the price of the item............)

Seriously- do the sums- its not worth it.

The only time it makes sense to use this sort of service- is for items that you simply can't get here (for whatever reason). I got a robot for my wife at Christmas (she loves gadgets)- it worked out at about 30 quid more than Smyths eventually sold it for (when they started selling it in March).

If you think you're going to save a fortune using this service- you're probably going to be very very disappointed.........

+ VAT @ 23%
    + Duty @ (I think 3.7% + 25% extra from the US)

=

+ 192
    + 29.60

= 862......

For the sake of 17 quid- just get it here- its safer- you get the Irish localised keyboard, you get an Irish warranty- and you don't have to worry about it getting damaged in shipping etc (you're only covered for EUR40 of insurance when shipping from the US- not the price of the item............)

Seriously- do the sums- its not worth it.

The only time it makes sense to use this sort of service- is for items that you simply can't get here (for whatever reason). I got a robot for my wife at Christmas (she loves gadgets)- it worked out at about 30 quid more than Smyths eventually sold it for (when they started selling it in March).

If you think you're going to save a fortune using this service- you're probably going to be very very disappointed.........
    Feck that

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

Ive been a on and off user with both addresspal and parcelmotel. Id use addresspal if I thought the package might be slightly over weight, or larger, had to motorbike helmets double boxed with addresspal and no nasty extra charges like parcelmotel. I bought a used coffeemachine from ebay 8 pounds (krups) excellent buy but guy sent it double boxed it in huge boxes with newspaper and was hit with 17 euros by parcel motel. I like address pal but it is slower , its tues and had a parcel delivered friday and still waiting. I like the option on parcelmotel where you can see when it was delivered and track it. Badly missed on addresspali used addresspal from states I bought some electronic gear from radioshack. And was no customs charge. Good service and tracked all the way. Ive bought some used watches on ebay.com and used shipito one watch was a nice citizen eco and was a bering ceramic, both i bought on ebay under 30, but had to pay customs each time as shipito didnt do any customs declaration. and postman came and wanted payment before handing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I ordered something through Addresspal. Dispatched last Wednesday (from within the UK) and no word from An Post. I used their old address as they had said only use the new one from 1st October.

They're usually quicker than this. Is this common now?

Wheety wrote: »
    I ordered something through Addresspal. Dispatched last Wednesday (from within the UK) and no word from An Post. I used their old address as they had said only use the new one from 1st October.

Usually they are quick, mine at old address since Fri. If you email them they are quick to respond.
    addresspalsupport@anpost.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

When are you informed about customs if theres any due ?

MOD: <SNIP> Read the charter. Next time its a ban.

I had a parcel delivered 2.5 weeks ago to the St Alban's address... Still no sign of it... :( Anyone else having such a delay? I've just sent an email in so hopefully they'll trace it for me. :confused: Thankfully, the eBay seller used a signed- for delivery...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Wheety wrote: »

This is shaping up to be the usual fustercluck from the AP Ass-Finding Hands-In-Barrel Team. I too have a parcel that should have gone to the old address a couple of days ago and I should have been notified by now that it's been received and now languishing at Heathrow for onward Home Delivery Service.
    In light of an above poster (deleted post) who said his parcel was marked "Recipient Moved" and undelivered by DHL, I can safely assume that one hand has found the ass, but it's not really an ass, more of a donkey.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

I had a parcel delivered 2.5 weeks ago to the St Alban's address... Still no sign of it... :( Anyone else having such a delay? I've just sent an email in so hopefully they'll trace it for me. :confused: Thankfully, the eBay seller used a signed- for delivery...;)

Well, I sent all my info to AP, and guess what? They found my package that they had been storing. as they say that the sender had not put either my name or AP reference code on the package. What??

So, as so often in life, never go looking for reasons behind a failure without first checking out the obvious. Mind you, AP should not have accepted a package with no name or reference either. They ought to have know it was undeliverable. Hopefully I'll finally see my package next week...

BTW, AP were very good to deal with. Prompt customer service through both e-mail and phone. A lady in the AP depot even rang me at 9 pm after my 8 PM e-mail..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

So, as so often in life, never go looking for reasons behind a failure without first checking out the obvious. Mind you, AP should not have accepted a package with no name or reference either. They ought to have know it was undeliverable. Hopefully I'll finally see my package next week...

This happens all the time; more than once I've received emails asking me was I expecting a parcel (it was sent to all the Spockers on their list) - if you reply with the right details, then they know who to deliver to. I've also had a parcel opened (as the sender didn't put the AP number in the address) but it was on the included invoice, and I received it no problem.

Spocker wrote: »
    This happens all the time; more than once I've received emails asking me was I expecting a parcel (it was sent to all the Spockers on their list) - if you reply with the right details, then they know who to deliver to. I've also had a parcel opened (as the sender didn't put the AP number in the address) but it was on the included invoice, and I received it no problem.

I'll certainly know for the next time.

However, I wonder is the AP addressing a bit too complicated. Like, is a number like "AP 19C 0537 1140335" really needed? A name and this long reference is a lot for some ppl to have to write onto the package (particularly if its a small one).

Parcel Motel can manage with PM93427. The translation/routing to your registered delivery location is handled automatically by the routing system. And they send a photo of the item to your account as soon as the package is logged inwards at the depot. I find all that very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

"Mind you, AP should not have accepted a package with no name or reference either."

I not sure how this would work as they get volume deliveries. They won't see a problem until they try to sort it for delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

I've an item missing at the post office end

Is the claim process straightforward?

I see the max is40 euro

Anyone received anything from the new AP address ? Is it working ok ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Anyone received anything from the new AP address ? Is it working ok ?

2 items received on Monday and again today. Ironically- both were delivered to the new address at various dates last week (aka last week in Sept) and not to the old address (as I messed up- I didn't realise the start date). However, they seem to have been happily accepting parcels at the new address for the last forthnight.............

2 items received on Monday and again today. Ironically- both were delivered to the new address at various dates last week (aka last week in Sept) and not to the old address (as I messed up- I didn't realise the start date). However, they seem to have been happily accepting parcels at the new address for the last forthnight.............

Good I have a watch on the way to AP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

do i just put the uk address in my ebay address account that i received from an post addresspal?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

bassy wrote: »
    do i just put the uk address in my ebay address account that i received from an post addresspal?.

You.might need to shorten it

Make sure you get the AP and the postcode and use the new address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭bassy

Thammer wrote: »
    You.might need to shorten it

Make sure you get the AP and the postcode and use the new address

i have put the complete address in to my ebay address account that i got from addresspal.

Advertisement