Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these components all compatible with each other? Help!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

The cpu and motherboard won't be compatible. Different socket types. If that's the motherboard you want then you need a socket 1151 cpu. Like this: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-4x-4-00GHz-So-1151-WOF_1010017.html

Cheap is not a good idea when it comes to power supply better to spend a bit more and have the peace of mind.

To get windows 10 get windows 7 or 8 either from ebay or reddit if you want it cheap or currys etc... if you want to pay extra for peace of mind and then do free upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ is pretty good for flagging potential incompatibilities. It'll list any ones it knows about when you put a system together on it. Worth giving a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Thank you both, and thanks especially for pointing out the CPU and motherboard won't work with each other.

I will give that partpicker website a go, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

SLI allegedly doesn't work the best with VR at the moment. NVidia are working on it, but you might want to keep a bit of cash in reserve for a 980Ti down the road

SLI allegedly doesn't work the best with VR at the moment. NVidia are working on it, but you might want to keep a bit of cash in reserve for a 980Ti down the road

Thanks.

Yeah I have read that - I will not be investing in another GPU immediately anyway, it is just that I wanted the motherboard to support it if I decided to later.

• Advertisement

one more quick question if I may:

I am probably going to use an optical drive from my existing PC. As I said the existing pc is very old and i can't imagine i will use it for anything else. It just occurred to me - should i use the existing case and maybe include the existing 600gb Hard drive as well? The case does not have USB 3.0 on the front- the existing pc is around 9 years old. Is there anyway I can add some newer USB slots to the existing case? It is a pretty large tower case (Dell XPS 420). The case I had selected is €200 so re-using the existing one would be an almost 20% saving off my current budget.

I will probably want a second HD along with an SSD anyway, but maybe I should just get a SSD and install a new HD later?

I guess there is no reason not to use the existing media card reader either - although it does not have a micro SD slot, but I do have adapters to convert them into the larger SD slot.

It is just occurring to me that i will not realistically get any use out of the existing PC because i would need to buy a new monitor even to pass it on to the kids as a homework computer or something, anyway we have a laptop that is much newer than the current pc.

Is there any reason i should not canabilise these functional (though old) components? I figure teh tech on cases at least can't have changed much?

You may find a different motherboard won't fit that case as the pre built dells and such are usually designed for specific motherboards etc... and have limited scope to be used for a custom build. You could get a much cheaper case anyways from as low as about 20 euro but they would be tough to build in and have poor air flow etc... I would just choose a cheaper case if it was me even half the price will get you a very decent one.

As for the optical drive as long as it's sata then no problems there. If it's ide then you'll need a new one but they are about €12 so not too bad and that's assuming you need one as most people don't even bother with them anymore.

Ant695 wrote: »
    You may find a different motherboard won't fit that case as the pre built dells and such are usually designed for specific motherboards etc... and have limited scope to be used for a custom build. You could get a much cheaper case anyways from as low as about 20 euro but they would be tough to build in and have poor air flow etc... I would just choose a cheaper case if it was me even half the price will get you a very decent one.

As for the optical drive as long as it's sata then no problems there. If it's ide then you'll need a new one but they are about €12 so not too bad and that's assuming you need one as most people don't even bother with them anymore.

Thanks. Yes makes sense to just go for a cheaper case and actually probably to leave the existing pc as a spare / beater in the kids homework room, if I can find a cheap monitor for it. I should have a keyboard lying around for it somewhere.

Just had a look at my bank balance after a shocker of a credit card bill went out, looking to shave what i can because the alternative is to wait until after christmas is out of the way. I hate September - January between summer holiday, back to school, tax returns, health insurance, sports/music fees and christmas itself. I should probably listen to my wife and wait until the new year, despite the temptation of Fallout 4 coming soon.

Thanks to all for the help, really appreciate it. I should be good to go now when I do pull the trigger.

It is an expensive time of year all right. One option also if the old pc is struggling would be to stick linux on it as it will be alot less resource hungry and the kids could still do most of the same stuff on it also to extend its life a little bit.

Just had a quick look on adverts as well and you can get a very basic monitor for about €20-25 which would more than suffice for homework and stuff.

Advertisement