Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet rats

• 02-11-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if there are many people in Ireland that have pet rats? I have always had rats back home but I recently got 2 girls over here as well and I keep getting so many surprised reactions, there doesn't seem to be a lot of knowledge (or interest?). Although the pet shop owners told me they sell quickly, I don't see any breeders, or maybe my Google skills are failing me :)

Kind regards,
    MNV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

MNV_Dub wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I was just wondering if there are many people in Ireland that have pet rats? I have always had rats back home but I recently got 2 girls over here as well and I keep getting so many surprised reactions, there doesn't seem to be a lot of knowledge (or interest?). Although the pet shop owners told me they sell quickly, I don't see any breeders, or maybe my Google skills are failing me :)

Kind regards,
    MNV

I know of one very reputable breeder here in Ireland, based in Cork if memory serves me ;)
    I had two ladies for 3 years, got much the same response as you and very few in the family were very accepting of them even though they came when called, could give me a kiss on command and were extremely hand-tame and affectionate!

They sell quick in pet shops because they are generally less nippy than hamsters, very intelligent and affectionate and pet shop assistants will usually let you walk away with one and tell you a hamster cage is fine for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MNV_Dub

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I know of one very reputable breeder here in Ireland, based in Cork if memory serves me ;)
    I had two ladies for 3 years, got much the same response as you and very few in the family were very accepting of them even though they came when called, could give me a kiss on command and were extremely hand-tame and affectionate!

They sell quick in pet shops because they are generally less nippy than hamsters, very intelligent and affectionate and pet shop assistants will usually let you walk away with one and tell you a hamster cage is fine for them.

Would they be on facebook or anything? Cork would be too far away for me but it is always good to find some likeminded people within the country anyway, 2 heads know more than one.

It is funny how people can be, at least most of them around here are pretty accepting at the moment, there are actually a surprising amount of people that don't even know you can keep them as pets. But sure my housemate is after throwing a fit and moving out even though the girls are in my room in a cage :D

I really don't like how they are kept half of the time!! I paid some 300 quid for the girls, a cage and bedding/food, and I actually still find it quite small, I'd love to have a furplast tower for them, but so many people will put them in the tiniest cages! My old girls came from their previous owner with a very small bird cage as well, so I bought a new big cage straight away.

I've PM'd you the name of the breeder because I'm not actually sure if I'm allowed to name publicly!

Our girls were in a hand-made cage that they loved. It was about 5.5 feet tall with four levels and I do a lot of crafting/knitting/crochet, so they always had something different in it! In the end I had to move them to a much smaller cage because they couldn't climb any more :o

I've PM'd you the name of the breeder because I'm not actually sure if I'm allowed to name publicly!

Our girls were in a hand-made cage that they loved. It was about 5.5 feet tall with four levels and I do a lot of crafting/knitting/crochet, so they always had something different in it! In the end I had to move them to a much smaller cage because they couldn't climb any more :o

I got the message, thanks!

That sounds great! I had a lot of that in my old cage at home as well, would go to the euro shop and buy loads of cheap stuff to make them into toys and hammocks for my girls. The girls I have now are not so fond of climbing (yet?), they spend most of their time racing around like crazy, and occasionally I see them climbing up, but my old girls spent literally half of the time at the top of the cage.

I've one of the girls sitting in my neck now, she went cooking with me and everything haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Hi

I had pet rats before. Can't now as we've a terrier and a few cats. They were wonderful pets and great little characters. Only planned to get one but the pet shop had a sign saying "one for fifteen euro, two for twenty" and I felt sorry for them so took two girls (Lucifer and Jezzabelle). Smart little things. When we'd let them out, stuff would vanish. I remember finding one hiding behind the sofa one evening munching on a box of cigarettes. Another time one of them jumped on the table and started drinking from my glass of beer. They always knew when the time came to put them back in their cage and would run along the bookshelf to get away :P Loved holding them. They are not like hamsters or mice. They're heavy and substantial and like to sniff and tickle your face with their whiskers :)

Used to give them a corn on the cob as a treat, which they loved :)

I miss having rats!

As far as people are concerned, Irish can be very narrow minded when it comes to animals and I often met with comments about sewer rats etc. After a while, you realise they've just been conditioned that way and we can only show by example. Rats are no different to any other pet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Makes me all nostalgic for my pet rats of times past too!

OP I'm sure it's okay to mention the Irish Fancy Rat Association? They have an open group on facebook. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No rats here but I did have a pair of degus years ago and everyone thought they were rats. They were the most mild mannered pets I ever had, even my dad who was extremely squemish at even the sight of them at first eventually took to carrying one of them around the house in his shirt pocket whenever he was home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I used to have two pet rats in uni but had the same problem as you finding a breeder when I moved to Ireland... And I'm pretty sure my current dog would try to have them for breakfast if I got some now! They're great pets though - so many people met mine and their opinions completely changed. They were fab- coming running when you called them or riding round in a pocket.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Hi

I had pet rats before. Can't now as we've a terrier and a few cats. They were wonderful pets and great little characters. Only planned to get one but the pet shop had a sign saying "one for fifteen euro, two for twenty" and I felt sorry for them so took two girls (Lucifer and Jezzabelle). Smart little things. When we'd let them out, stuff would vanish. I remember finding one hiding behind the sofa one evening munching on a box of cigarettes. Another time one of them jumped on the table and started drinking from my glass of beer. They always knew when the time came to put them back in their cage and would run along the bookshelf to get away :P Loved holding them. They are not like hamsters or mice. They're heavy and substantial and like to sniff and tickle your face with their whiskers :)

Used to give them a corn on the cob as a treat, which they loved :)

I miss having rats!

As far as people are concerned, Irish can be very narrow minded when it comes to animals and I often met with comments about sewer rats etc. After a while, you realise they've just been conditioned that way and we can only show by example. Rats are no different to any other pet!

I think the Irish can be pretty narrowminded about pretty much anything haha, but in all fairness, my mum used to hate them as well when I first got them and now she is a big fan, sharing all ratty videos she can find with me.

I just picked up 2 ratty girls in Carlow that were dumped with someone who didn't want them. They're a bit older, they weren't sure but anywhere between 6 and 12 months, and they are HUGE. But I suppose that is also because I am used to my 2 baby girls that are 2 months now :)

boomerang, cheers! I just requested to join that group :D

I think they are wonderful pets. I would love to get some bucks as well eventually to see the difference, I've always only had does and they're super sweet but don't like sitting still and it is hard to keep track of them when they're roaming!

MNV_Dub wrote: »
    I think the Irish can be pretty narrowminded about pretty much anything haha, but in all fairness, my mum used to hate them as well when I first got them and now she is a big fan, sharing all ratty videos she can find with me.

I just picked up 2 ratty girls in Carlow that were dumped with someone who didn't want them. They're a bit older, they weren't sure but anywhere between 6 and 12 months, and they are HUGE. But I suppose that is also because I am used to my 2 baby girls that are 2 months now :)

boomerang, cheers! I just requested to join that group :D

I think they are wonderful pets. I would love to get some bucks as well eventually to see the difference, I've always only had does and they're super sweet but don't like sitting still and it is hard to keep track of them when they're roaming!

I see you got into the group anyways :p What absolute cuties! I'd love to keep them again, but we have a very reactive rescue collie and a second baby on the way - I'd never have the time for them! I've been told the bucks are incredibly laid back and myself and partner discussed getting two males next time, but he feels a bit intimidated by their obvious manhoods :pac:

• Advertisement

I see you got into the group anyways :p What absolute cuties! I'd love to keep them again, but we have a very reactive rescue collie and a second baby on the way - I'd never have the time for them! I've been told the bucks are incredibly laid back and myself and partner discussed getting two males next time, but he feels a bit intimidated by their obvious manhoods :pac:

I did indeed :D Yeah exactly, think that's not so bad then. You can always come cuddle my kids if you want to, haha :D The bucks are supposed to be very laidback yeah :D more the couch potato type where the does are a bit more active and adventurous :D I get what he says about the manhoods hahaa, people were asking me if I was sure mine were girls.. it would be very..obvious if they weren't :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Can I hijack a little?

Only today I passed a pet shop and went in for a look, there were rodent looking animals, rat sized but not rats, back legs were ever so slightly longer than the front.

Got me thinking I'd like a pair of rats or mice, my only issue is I rent an apartment. I assume they like to chew on things? Things that I'll need to replace when I leave, like skirting, doors, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I had pet rats years ago before I had children.
    Now they are all older I'd love to get them again, knowing they would be safe from little hanrds.
    My only problem is I have 2 dogs that might worry them.
    Has anyone had them while having dogs and have they settled down and got used to them?

Can I hijack a little?

Only today I passed a pet shop and went in for a look, there were rodent looking animals, rat sized but not rats, back legs were ever so slightly longer than the front.

Got me thinking I'd like a pair of rats or mice, my only issue is I rent an apartment. I assume they like to chew on things? Things that I'll need to replace when I leave, like skirting, doors, etc.?

Of course you can :) They do like to chew on things, although my ones in Holland never chewed on doors or skirting, and the girls here so far are mostly interested in the blanked we have on our sofa and bedsheets. I am renting an apartment as well but I am not too worried about them destroying the place, it would hardly be noticeable in here, but that depends on your landlord as well and what state he apartment is in now
    I had pet rats years ago before I had children.
    Now they are all older I'd love to get them again, knowing they would be safe from little hanrds.
    My only problem is I have 2 dogs that might worry them.
    Has anyone had them while having dogs and have they settled down and got used to them?

We had dogs back in Holland as well, but it really depends on the breed and the dog's character in general. If you have little ratters then I wouldn't recommend it, for obvious reasons, but we had bullmastifs and they couldn't care less about the rats, although I wouldn't let them run freely when the dogs where in the room, more because I was afraid that the dogs would not look where they're going than that I was afraid they would intentionally hurt the rats. But surely where I picked up the rats the lady had a little terrier type dog that was absolutely fine with the rats as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Can I hijack a little?

I had all sorts of smallies when I was younger and the only problem with chewing I ever had was cables and that was chinchillas, chewed through the cable of my laptop (unplugged) without me noticing and they were always trying to get in behind the tv up on the shelf. Obviously don't let any pet do this as they can get a shock. We had a dog that ate the plaster off the wall in the back hall and a hole in the door, but never any problem with smallies. You might want to get the carpet in any rooms they are in professionally steam cleaned if you are moving out at some stage as rats and degus tend to dribble urine as they walk around, we never bothered as we are in our own house and the carpet in the sitting room gets replaced every few years anyway. It might have been degus you saw in the pet shop, they are usually brown but also can be 'blue' which is a grey colour. If you are considering degus, avoid the blues as the colour is caused by a genetic mutation which also causes health issues and a short life-span.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

The only problem i ever had with my rats chewing was when I accidentally left the cage too close to the bed and they helped themselves to a blanket... Oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Blankets I could live with or anything mine for that matter.

Thankfully (or not) there aren't any carpets, it's all hard wood flooring, sure that could handle some urine, they have so far :p.

A few years back I was in a house and the teenage daughter had two pet rats, they sat on her shoulders and seem really friendly. It kinda planted the seed then. I couldn't have dogs here but rats seem more and more viable.

Thankfully (or not) there aren't any carpets, it's all hard wood flooring, sure that could handle some urine, they have so far :p.

A few years back I was in a house and the teenage daughter had two pet rats, they sat on her shoulders and seem really friendly. It kinda planted the seed then. I couldn't have dogs here but rats seem more and more viable.

They make fantastic pets in situations where larger ones aren't a good choice. Source them from a reputable breeder though, they can have a host of health issues as more often than not the pet store ones are just snake feed they decided to sell as pets :( They need rather a large cage that needs to be cleaned out very regularly as they (both males and females) have rather a distinct smell. Don't be misled into thinking that they are "easier" to look after than a dog or cat. They need exercise, a healthy and varied diet, mental stimulation and love/affection/handling for any sort of an enjoyable life. You should also make sure that there is a vet in your locality that has at least some experience dealing with small furries.

I think tiles is actually the best as it will most likely go into wood flooring as well if you miss a spot :D

I can definitely recommend getting them, but I would also recommend a good breeder over pet shop rats. You could get one from a rescue as well but there are chances that they have more issues (socially or physically) than if you get babies from a breeder, as they know exactly what the characters of their litter are and they carefully select the does and bucks for the litter to get as little health issues as possible.

As previously mentioned, get them a proper big cage. You don't have to go and get the 1.40m high cage I have but they do not live in a hamster cage, and they look small when you get them as babies but they will grow a lot bigger so I would recommend trying to get a cage that will last them until they're adults!

They are extremely sweet and clever pets though, especially girls can be taught a trick or 2, boys are a bit more laidback couch potato types in general, but they all have their own personalities and they have never failed to make me smile every time I come home :)

Advertisement