Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor black until I switch it to onboard graphics, then back

Options
  • 02-11-2015 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Odd problem. Have a desktop PC with a GTX 960 graphics card and 2500K chip with onboard graphics.

Occasionally the PC boots up but the monitor won't come on (amber standby light instead of "On" blue light.) Rebooting doesn't resolve it.

What does resolve the issue is (a) temporarily switching the monitor from the graphics card output to the onboard graphics output (b) booting up (c) booting down, switching _back_ to the graphics card, then booting up again.

No idea why this works. Could it be a simple overheating problem or something else?

Thanks,

#P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

Since no-one else responded heres a couple of ideas.

1. Try disabling the onboard graphics in the BIOS
    2. Try reseating the GPU.

Are you using VGA or DVI/HDMI?
    When you boot it up does the issue only happen when the PC has been off for X hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hmm, it's not my day. Swapping cables around, I got the PC working. Then, moving it back into position, I killed it stone dead (no light on motherboard).

Currently having a large glass of wine.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Hmm, it's not my day. Swapping cables around, I got the PC working. Then, moving it back into position, I killed it stone dead (no light on motherboard).

Currently having a large glass of wine.

P.

Are the fans starting up?
    I'm starting to think you might have a power supply issue, is it a known brand one?

mad turnip wrote: »
    Are the fans starting up?
    I'm starting to think you might have a power supply issue, is it a known brand one?

Corsair 750, so decent enough. No fans, no motherboard light, nothing. Either PSU or motherboard fried I guess?

P.

Sounds more like a PSU issue as I would expect to see some kind of light / fan even attempt to spin. Do you know someone you could borrow a PSU from and just remove the GPU to ensure enough power that will let you eliminate one of them.

• Advertisement

mad turnip wrote: »
    Sounds more like a PSU issue as I would expect to see some kind of light / fan even attempt to spin. Do you know someone you could borrow a PSU from and just remove the GPU to ensure enough power that will let you eliminate one of them.

I did the paperclip test and the PSU fan spins up, so I'm assuming that the problem is the motherboard (not 100% certain of course). Could a loose screw have short-circuited it when moved?

P.

Advertisement