Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Star Trek TV show - Star Trek Discovery

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

pixelburp wrote: »
    TV certainly is a 13-episode world these days. I like it, there's no question it helps the pacing and story when the writers aren't forced into writing half a seasons worth of filler.

Indeed. The 20-23 episode season arcs seldom work as well as the 10-13 eps for anything other than sitcoms these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 daywatcher

I'd heard that some "insiders" let it be known that the new series would not be set in Abrams' alternative timeline. Partly because Abrams had pitched a Trek TV series based in his timeline 3 times to CBS and was rejected each time. CBS makes $20 million per year from selling Prime Universe merchandise. New Movie merchandise barely sells. So simple economics said the new series would be in the Prime Universe.

I'm still hoping for a TOS-era or pre-TOS-era set series. A post-TNG series doesn't appeal to me - tech gets too magical making it easy to get characters out of peril. Showrunner Bryan Fuller did say though when asked:

MOVIEFONE: Would you like to revisit any characters? Is there a window open to bring in characters that have been established in the canon?
    FULLER: Eventually. Eventually.

Those characters (not necessarily played by the original actors) could range from Captain Robert April / Christopher Pike up to Picard et al.

Guess we'll get a bit more info once ComicCon comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great news; Netflix seem to be ramping up these 'next day' broadcast deals with networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Feck netflix What about Sky?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I'm really surprised at this as I had thought it was to be the main attraction for CBS' new streaming platform.

Still, not complaining, it's awesome news!

I'm really surprised at this as I had thought it was to be the main attraction for CBS' new streaming platform.

Still, not complaining, it's awesome news!

It won't be available on Netflix US or Canada.

CBS All Access is only available in the States it's probably easier and cheaper for the to sell the rights to Netflix than go into competition with them in the global streaming market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Brilliant news.

Ms

Its terrible news what about Sky? Feck netflix it should be on Sky.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

AMKC wrote: »

Fcuk sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Cancelled Sky years ago. I don't have any sports interest so the only thing I miss is Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭squonk

Absolutely Fcuk Sky. They're pretty much a waste of money IMHO and if you only sign up to Netflix for a month at a tenner you'll get to watch the relatively short season of the new show. I'd doubt you'd have change out of a fifty if you were paying Sky, and you wouldn't be able to back out after a month either. This is a great development!

Ms

squonk wrote: »
    Absolutely Fcuk Sky. They're pretty much a waste of money IMHO and if you only sign up to Netflix for a month at a tenner you'll get to watch the relatively short season of the new show. I'd doubt you'd have change out of a fifty if you were paying Sky, and you wouldn't be able to back out after a month either. This is a great development!

I don,t think Sky are a waste of money and I certainly don,t pay 50 for it not even half that. I don,t have any of the sports or movie channels no interest in them. The only sport I want to see is on one of the standard channels and I can watch it live or record it and watch it whenever I want the same with all my other shows that I follow. I don,t need to be on a computer to view it and don,t need expensive internet either.
    If the show is only on Netflix a guess I will not be watching it maybe I will buy the box set in a few years when its cheap.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Great news about Netflix. It's the only TV I pay for these days. That's a real coup for them. If SKY had gotten it they'd almost certainly have put it on SKY Atlantic.

I think back to 1987 and my intrigue at the introduction of TNG. I watched 3 episodes and said Feck This ... it's crap (which it was to begin with). It took until SKY had it in syndication before I got into it.

Jesus, that series left a gap when it ended. The only times I've ever felt so invested in characters since were DS9 and VOY. So there's something special about Star Trek that really hooks me. Let's hope the new series does the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DubTony wrote: »
    I think back to 1987 and my intrigue at the introduction of TNG. I watched 3 episodes and said Feck This ... it's crap (which it was to begin with). It took until SKY had it in syndication before I got into it.

With the remastered versions popping on Netflix I'm finally getting around to watching TNG in sequence and yeah, wow, that first series really is as bad as people say and remember. In fact it's fricking dreadful & I'm forcing myself through it purely for the later, better material.

The background stories about those first couple of seasons make for fascinating reading and seemed like infighting and Rodenberrys slavish devotion to a utopian world made the scripts tricky to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

With the remastered versions popping on Netflix I'm finally getting around to watching TNG in sequence and yeah, wow, that first series really is as bad as people say and remember. In fact it's fricking dreadful & I'm forcing myself through it purely for the later, better material.

The background stories about those first couple of seasons make for fascinating reading and seemed like infighting and Rodenberrys slavish devotion to a utopian world made the scripts tricky to work with.

You think season 1 was bad, season two had to recycle ideas which were deemed unfit for season 1 due to the writers' strike. They even had a clip show episode...

If The Next Generation were made today it wouldn't have received it's back end renewal, let alone a season 2. Let's hope such a fate does not await this new show, hopefully they'll give it time to find it's feet.

A recent show which might bear some similarities would be Stargate Universe which had only started to find it's feet in the second half of season 2 but at that stage it was already too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The official name of the new show is Star Trek Discovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭geecee

great military feel to that trailer!

Especially the triangular body of the ship... which is shaped like the Starfleet insignia!

As someone that loved DS9 I hope that the new series will be true to the DS9 military concept and not the 1960s Gene Rodenberry hippy peace concept!

The design is apparently based on the concept art of Ralph McQuarrie for the original film. Nice shout out but the ship looks at odds with the standard 'trek' design.

Also, supposedly at comic con it was also revealed that this show will take place in the 'main' timeline, not the rebooted one from the current films

• Advertisement

Bit of a departure in terms of vessel design but at least it's not an upside down spoon like Voyager, the 1701-E or newer federation designs. It's only a clip of course but it screams BSG with touches of DS9 to me, and that's such a good thing. I also love that they've used the name from one of the shuttles. Looking good so far!!

“It’s not going to be episodic,” Fuller said, noting that there have been 772 episodes of various “Star Trek” series. “We’re going to be telling stories like a novel.”

All five “Star Trek” series have been episodic in nature, featuring episodes whose stories were largely self-contained. Fuller’s comment indicates that the series will feature longer, ongoing storylines, along the lines of more contemporary television drama series. That model, he said, will fit the show’s position as the first original series for CBS’s streaming service.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-comic-con-2016-1201821525/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ugly brown ship, stupid design, crappy CGI that they actually managed to make look worse than some ST games, not a good trailer at all.

Ms

geecee wrote: »
    great military feel to that trailer!

Especially the triangular body of the ship... which is shaped like the Starfleet insignia!

As someone that loved DS9 I hope that the new series will be true to the DS9 military concept and not the 1960s Gene Rodenberry hippy peace concept!

DS9 was not about a military concept. it was about a starfleet crew on a space station on the edge of Federation space. The Defiant had been designed to fight the Borg. They were the same as every other crew out to discovery new aliens accept they came to the station until they got the Defiant. Even when the war started with the Dominion it was not the Federation that went out looking for war like the Klingons or maybe Cardassians would do it was the Dominion that started it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Bit of a departure in terms of vessel design but at least it's not an upside down spoon like Voyager, the 1701-E or newer federation designs. It's only a clip of course but it screams BSG with touches of DS9 to me, and that's such a good thing. I also love that they've used the name from one of the shuttles. Looking good so far!!

Nothing wrong with the 1701-E or Voyager they are both beautiful brilliant starship designs.

As for the new ship it looks interesting nice looking from the bottom view not sure I am mad about the design of the nacelles do or blue impulse engines instead or red. Will be interesting to see what it looks like inside and what period the show is set in. It certainly looks like a big ship.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

There is no new timeline when talking about jj Abrams movies despite what he and pegg would have you believe. The TPD prevents that from occurring which is canon through all previous incarnations of the trek-verse. As a stand alone scifi movie franchise star trek jj Abrams is ok but it bears no relationship to the 50yr vision of Roddenberry. I grew up on tos and have watched every incarnation since. Had Abrams not brought old Spock in and instead created his own universe I'd give it a go but to claim that the Kelvin incident set up a new timeline/universe without explaining why the TIC didn't rectify it shows contempt for the lore of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That is a super ugly ship. It looks like a Klingon one....without the menace. Awful. It's like something you would design with a pencil and ruler in 3 minutes. Comparing it to the Enterprise D and E and Voyager......it falls woefully short. They even had cooler names. The Galaxy class. The Sovereign class. The Intrepid class.

Ugh. I hope that is something they cobbled together in a hurry as not only does the ship look ugly, the CGI looks super cheap.

Their reveal that it will not be episodic in nature and more of an arc show pleases me. I really hope they get this right. We haven't had new trek on tv for a decade. It's about time and this needs to go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

It looks like its from Star Trek: Planet of the Titans concept, from before the 1st movie.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-mcquarries-lost-concept-art-for-a-star-trek-movie-in-1976-1977/

38c5SmZ.jpg

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

It looks like there'll be a lot of people looking to catch STD later this year.

They will have to work on that initialism. It really doesnt work. :p

judeboy101 wrote: »
    There is no new timeline when talking about jj Abrams movies despite what he and pegg would have you believe. The TPD prevents that from occurring which is canon through all previous incarnations of the trek-verse. As a stand alone scifi movie franchise star trek jj Abrams is ok but it bears no relationship to the 50yr vision of Roddenberry. I grew up on tos and have watched every incarnation since. Had Abrams not brought old Spock in and instead created his own universe I'd give it a go but to claim that the Kelvin incident set up a new timeline/universe without explaining why the TIC didn't rectify it shows contempt for the lore of the show.

Ah STOP, will ya? You're killin' the buzz.

Every time I see BSG in a post I think Big Friendly Giant :o

Then I wonder what Big Friendly Giant has to do with Star Trek, and realise it has as much to do with it as BSG. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
    Ms

Good news about the new show. It is going to be set in the Prime timeline:)

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

BTW, for those not exactly enamoured with that new ship design (or for that matter the CGI), apparently the design isn't final and may yet change:
    UDPATES: During the subsequent press interviews producer Heather Kadin exclusively told Trekmovie.com that the design for the U.S.S. Discovery is not final.
    Source: http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/

Bryan Fuller also commented that the design is so like Ralph McQuarrie's " ... to a point that we can’t legally comment on it until we figure out some things." so it sounds like it's still all up in the air ATM. If the public reaction isn't great that could also spur them to rethink the aesthetics a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

judeboy101 wrote: »
    There is no new timeline when talking about jj Abrams movies despite what he and pegg would have you believe. The TPD prevents that from occurring

Not so. The TPD is a directive, something that can be broken, & certainly not something a rogue Romulan miner is bound by. Plus canon also accounts for this on screen, First Contact shows how the Borg changed history, Yesterday's Enterprise showed how one ship changed the entire timeline, and various other episodes thought various series' had similar plots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

BTW, for those not exactly enamoured with that new ship design (or for that matter the CGI), apparently the design isn't final and may yet change:

Source: http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/23/breaking-fuller-announces-new-series-titled-star-trek-discovery/

Bryan Fuller also commented that the design is so like Ralph McQuarrie's " ... to a point that we can’t legally comment on it until we figure out some things." so it sounds like it's still all up in the air ATM. If the public reaction isn't great that could also spur them to rethink the aesthetics a little.

Sounds to me that the "not exactly ringing" endorsement of the design from many fans has forced a rethink already.

Remember they're also hoping this show will launch a subscription service, not just Star Trek.

Probably dropped in time to gauge the reaction it would get and give them time to change it if it wasn't positive.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Looking forward to this. Given that we know it is set in the main timeline, I assume we don't know when yet? Will it be between TOS and TNG, or after Voyager I wonder?

It'll be after Voyager i would wager......But although I expect a few cameos down the line, I would be very surprised if any of the other shows or events are even mentioned. They will want this to be it's own thing for sure.

No way it's post Voyager. That saucer section looks like it has more in common with TOS or even pre TOS.

Thats just the bad CGI though surely?

Maybe but it's a more hard edged looking design. Looking at Voyager or the Enterprise E, their saucers are much more steamlined and the deflector dish is placed in a flowing metal area. This ship is very square and has hard edges by comparison. The more I think of it, the more it seems to look like and older design. Having said that, the Enterprise NX-01 actually ended up looking more 'modern' than the Constellation Class NCC-1701 from TOS so I could be completely wrong.

• Advertisement

There's a running theory that it's going to be set between Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and Next Generation, so during that period when the Kilngons came into the Federation fold. The back of the Discovery does look a bit like a Klingon cruiser & their presence would certainly add some in-built tensions on a mixed crew where the bruises of conflict are going to be quite fresh.

Ms

Looks like its a prequel set before TOS. August 10th going to be a big day we should find out a lot more about it that day.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75876

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Looks like its a prequel set before TOS. August 10th going to be a big day we should find out a lot more about it that day.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75876

So it'll be short lived then. Because, as we already know, nobody gives a shite about what happened before TOS.

I'm still hoping that this is a revamped ship pulled out of moth balls or something and set post TNG. That'd be one way to explain the registration. And if it is Section 31 all the better. Those guys are likely to be using the same ship for centuries with super-duper never before seen upgrades along with new and elaborate torturing equipment.
    Plasma-boarding anyone?

Actually, best of all would be a Mirror Universe / Terran Empire Section 31. Now they'd be bad-ass bad-asses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

DubTony wrote: »
    Mirror Universe

Oh noooooo.

Ms

Oh noooooo.

Don,t think there would be anything wrong with it ok it would not be the Federation that we know and love but it would also be interesting to see how the Terran Empire worked and operated and it would probably do well in todays TV internet market where people like shows like Game Of Thrones.

I don,t think it is going to happen do not anytime soon anyway. Maybe they will have some Mirror Universe episodes in the new show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

More info. I can't really think of what this event is. Something to do with Vulcan maybe?
    Fuller revealed that Star Trek: Discovery, which will debut on CBS in January 2017 before the show makes its permanent home on the streaming service CBS All Access, will have a female, human lead and that they are hoping to cast a diverse actress for the role. The star won’t be the captain but rather a lieutenant commander.

The male lead might also be diverse, and there will be robots as well. “We’ll probably have a few more aliens than you typically have on the show. We wanted to paint a picture of Starfleet where we’re going to have new exciting aliens and also new imagining of existing aliens,” Fuller said (via EW). And will there be a gay character? “Absolutely we’re having a gay character,” he added.

The first season of Star Trek: Discovery will be told over 13 episodes. Fuller said that “each episode is a chapter, within each chapter will be a beginning, middle and end.”

Star Trek: Discovery is set about 10 years before Captain Kirk’s mission. “There’s an incident and and event in Star Trek history, that’s been talked about but never been explored. To do this series, we’re telling a much more serialized story, to dig deep into a very tantalizing storyline. And we have a character who’s on a journey, and in order to understand something that is alien she first has to understand herself,” Fuller added.

Fuller also said that for the first season, they will be sticking to new characters, but moving forward, original “Star Trek” characters could appear in some form.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/755755-star-trek-discovery-details-revealed-by-bryan-fuller

"There’s an incident and and event in Star Trek history, that’s been talked about but never been explored"

Any Trek experts out there with a good idea what Fuller's talking about? Presumably it's something from the Prime universe already known about prior to the 2009 film.

The idea of the main character not being the captain is an interesting one; presumably there still will be a captain, we just won't see or hear much of them? Certainly a good way to keep things cheap mind you: if the show is following events 'below decks' so to speak, it's unlikely the main cast will ever get to beam down anywhere more expensive!

Check the last page of posts on the Discovery thread in the Star Trek forum. Lots of speculation there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057625896

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Early 2220's was first big incident with klingons

• Advertisement

Star Trek: Discovery is set about 10 years before Captain Kirk’s mission. “There’s an incident and and event in Star Trek history, that’s been talked about but never been explored. To do this series, we’re telling a much more serialized story, to dig deep into a very tantalizing storyline. And we have a character who’s on a journey, and in order to understand something that is alien she first has to understand herself,” Fuller added.

:(

Seven of 9 and to a lesser degree B'Elanna Torres on Voyager were both on this type of personal journey. My biggest concern is the setting between Archer and Kirk. Pre-TOS didn't work before. If it turns out to be the commercial dog that Enterprise was, it'll be the end of TV Star Trek. There's no way CBS will do it again after 2 failures in a row.

Given that Fuller wasn't involved in Enterprise, and that he's a die-hard fan (well, at least he was back in the day) he might bring us something recognisable and worthwhile. According to interviews one of his reasons for moving on was the lack of allowed story arcs, so lets hope this suits him and he pulls off a masterpiece.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement