Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Star Trek TV show - Star Trek Discovery

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,972 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Supposedly leaked photos of the Klingons.

C4bjHtOVYAEWrJw.jpg

Terry Serpico, Maulik Pancholy, & Sam Vartholomeos join the cast as Starfleet officers.

'Star Trek: Discovery' to Premiere in Late Summer or Fall, CBS CEO Says
    "We're not going to rush it in. There's lots of postproduction, but I'm very confident based on what I've seen so far," Leslie Moonves told investors.
    Star Trek: Discovery is now set to premiere later this year on CBS All Access.

Leslie Moonves, CEO of CBS, on Monday told the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media & Telecom Conference that the reboot of the sci-fi franchise will debut "in late summer, early fall we're looking at probably, right now."

Originally slated to debut last month as CBS All Access' first original scripted series, the project has been delayed several times, most notably due to the departure of Bryan Fuller as showrunner.

But Moonves said the drama, currently in production in Toronto, will not be hurried into the market. "It's important to get it right. Star Trek is the family jewels. We're not going to rush it in. There's lots of postproduction, but I'm very confident based on what I've seen so far," he told investors.

CBS' new Star Trek was picked up picked up straight to series and hails from prolific producer Alex Kurtzman. The project is a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic, with the show to feature new crews, villains, heroes and worlds.

Moonves cited the enormous fan base of the Star Trek franchise likely to tune into the series when it eventually launches on CBS All Access, the network's digital subscription VOD service. "We get a lot of mail on it, every single day, they're very anxious about it. We think it's the perfect show for All Access."

The CBS topper touted Star Trek: Discovery for CBS All Access after Netflix signed a deal with CBS Studios for worldwide rights to the upcoming drama. "We know the other versions of Star Trek, seven other series ... they all did really well on Netflix. That gave us confidence that this was the right show to give a full court press on All Access," he said.

Netflix will make each episode of the new series available in 188 countries, minus the U.S. and Canada, within 24 hours of its U.S. premiere. "They paid a very good license fee," Moonves added.

The premiere episode of Star Trek: Discovery will air on CBS' main network with all subsequent episodes streaming on CBS All Access. The series will mark the first new Star Trek series since Star Trek: Enterprise went off the air in 2005.

In Canada, Bell Media will take all TV and SVOD rights to the new series, which will be available simultaneously with its U.S. release.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-premiere-summer-early-fall-cbs-ceo-says-981164

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Kind of shocked this is happening, thought there would be more buzz about it tbh. Fair play to them for doing it. Hope its a success and ST series become a regular thing again like in the good old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thargor wrote: »
    Kind of shocked this is happening, thought there would be more buzz about it tbh. Fair play to them for doing it. Hope its a success and ST series become a regular thing again like in the good old days.

There was until they said it had been delayed again until end of Summer or early Autumn. Hard to keep the buzz up when there is nothing to talk about.
    There is a trailer on You Tube about production starting so I guess the next trailer will be for the actual series but no point in them releasing that until they have something to put in it, have the first series done and when they know the date the show is going be available from.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's still in production so stands to reason there's little news, hopefully some proper promotional photos and/or a trailer pop up soon, but at the same time the last 12-18 months have suggested CBS/Paramount has a fairly flippant, if not negligent, attitude towards arguably its biggest property.

The 50th anniversary of Star Trek passed in 2016 with only a pittance of material released (I think there was a small documentary released, that was about it); Star Trek Beyond got very little by the way of promotion and IMO contributed to a lower box office; a fairly aggressive set of rules were enforced on fan-productions, presumably off the back of the 'Axanar' fiasco; and as for Discovery itself, it lost Brian Fuller as its head very early into production. Felt like a deal could have been thrashed out to keep him working on it & his other commitments, but they let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Plus it's another feckin' prequel series, so who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Aw hell, based on that, just cancel this mess, and make a series set post-Nemesis. Is there a fundamental problem creating Trek set post-Nemesis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The other thing is it's star trek, so they don't need to advertise it as much, just tell one star trek fan it's coming and all star trek fans will know about it by the end of the week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

So he has been cast as the captain of the titular Discovery, Captain Lorca, at least according to the Hollywood Reporter anyway.

A very good choice to be the lead actor.

A very good choice to be the lead actor.

Ah but if the tattle about this show is to be believed, he ain't the lead; it's Sonequa Martin's Lt. Rainsford, the second in command. So I suspect Isaacs will pop up in any bridge or ready-room scenes & that'll be it.

That would be such a waste of a talent like Isaacs if they are only going use him as a sounding board character for the rest of the cast to bounce off.

This whole project just seems to be a complete mess looking at it from the outside.

Ms

That would be such a waste of a talent like Isaacs if they are only going use him as a sounding board character for the rest of the cast to bounce off.

This whole project just seems to be a complete mess looking at it from the outside.

What shows has in been in before? Has he been a lead in any of them?

Am sure if he is a good actor then maybe the Captain of the Discovery will get plenty of screen time too and more than just the bits you think. Riker got plenty of good screen time in TNG and he was only 2nd in Command.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

AMKC wrote: »

Am sure if he is a good actor then maybe the Captain of the Discovery will get plenty of screen time too and more than just the bits you think. Riker got plenty of good screen time in TNG and he was only 2nd in Command.

He was the lead in a TV show called Brotherhood. I thought he was great in that.

Lucius Malfoy as a Captain in Starfleet maybe he'll be an evil Captain :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

AMKC wrote: »

Is he not main due in the OA

Rainn Wilson to play a legendary character
    Harry Mudd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Jason Isaacs in a supporting role as the captain is an interesting choice.

I wonder if the producers are hedging. If Senoqua Martin-Green's lead character doesn't hold the publics attention they can easily change to a more standard Trek series with the captain as the main character. I don't think Isaacs is high profile enough for him to steal the show (à la Martin Sheen in The West Wing) but he's certainly capable and recognisable enough to take the lead should it be deemed necessary.

Having said that I'm really looking forward to seeing what Martin-Green can do in the role. I feel that her character in TWD isn't challenging her at all.

• Advertisement

Ill keep expectations low, fully expecting it to be a pile of kaka

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ms

http://trekmovie.com/2017/05/16/star-trek-discovery-will-be-intelligent-cinematic-and-grittier-says-cbs-exec/

Well at least they are saying the right things. Hope its true and its not just all big explosions and fighting. Hope it is well scripted and written with stories that ask questions about the human condition and real world issues but in the way that Star Trek does it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer was released on the CBS website but locked to the USA.

Someone has it on vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/217909620

Here's the CBS site in case they change their minds:
    http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/video/LeDfVOm_JkJcYJF9ju2izuFJBnF_qJsG/star-trek-discovery-first-look-trailer/

Netflix have a different trailer up. I think it's a tidier trailer:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So the new aliens are Klingons after all...

Not sure what I think of that trailer to be honest... will need to sleep on it

wow, everythings getting taken off youtube.

They've put it on their twitter:
    https://twitter.com/StarTrekNetflix/status/864967404933140480

Ms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeB-_XjcTNs

Not everything just need to look deeper.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Not sure about that trailer it really didn't grab me.

Before Kirk, things looked like this:

DAD3jjdW0AANkUf.jpg:large

Prequels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks pretty polished. Some nice digital effects work.

Hard to judge much else from that trailer though.

Im just afraid they will kill the older style and go for adhd effects and pacing and try to make it more like the movies. They did some of the filming in Jordan so it should look good . Something about the Captain not being the lead character? that is kind of weird. will keep expectations super low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why before Kirk again, why!!

Didn't they learn from Enterprise? UGH!

It does look good tho visually, they've taken a lot from Abrams presentation.

I've read a fair bit from those behind the show, albeit mostly from executives, and I've yet to come across a justification for the era.

If I had to guess, I suspect it's a lack of confidence from the money-men that post-Kirk Trek is a strong enough brand. Voyager and DS9 (though recent opinions are revising the initial poor reception of the latter) are probably seen as spin-offs that poisoned the TNG well a little - witness Paramounts absolutely dismissal of any BluRay remastering of those series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've read a fair bit from those behind the show, albeit mostly from executives, and I've yet to come across a justification for the era.

If I had to guess, I suspect it's a lack of confidence from the money-men that post-Kirk Trek is a strong enough brand. Voyager and DS9 (though recent opinions are revising the initial poor reception of the latter) are probably seen as spin-offs that poisoned the TNG well a little - witness Paramounts absolutely dismissal of any BluRay remastering of those series.

A re-watch of DS9 last year and im currently rewatching Voyager now i'd still rank them very highly.

But yeah, Paramount have really dropped the ball with Star Trek.

Vicxas wrote: »
    A re-watch of DS9 last year and im currently rewatching Voyager now i'd still rank them very highly.

But yeah, Paramount have really dropped the ball with Star Trek.

also all the stuff with going after fan made media has probably peed off a lot of hard core fans.

I don't think I could rewatch Voyager but could imagine rewatching DS9 and wouldn't rewatch Enterprise even if paid :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I liked it overall. Less keen on the Abrams inspired aesthetics, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

So it looks like when it says "10 years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise" it referring to the Abramsverse versions based on the overall look , the uniforms and the redesigned Into the Darknessesque Klingons. Makes sense I suppose to tie it into the aesthetic of current trek films rather then tying themselves up in knots trying to blend in with the Aesthetics of the Original series/films.

Midight's Edge recent news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

^^ If even half of that is true, Discovery is pretty much dead from the off - "The Orville" wasn't something I was aware of though.. interesting!

Total speculation and jumping to wild conclusions based on uncited 'rumours'. The suggestion The Orville has somehow received the blessing of Trek alumni actually made me laugh. Some of it may be true but it came across like typical YouTube navel-gazing.

Not the original timeline or the Abrams' timeline, but a third, "reboot" timeine? In part because they don't want to mess with the messy Klingon canon? Oh this is going to suck so bad.

I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wanted them to do a full on reboot. But I wanted them to bring it up to date with modern scientific knowledge, not go further down the fantasy star wars route. This is turning into a production by committee where they've tried to please everybody and made a complete pile of junk in the process.

It will Premiere on September 24th on CBS and the second episode will be shown straight after on CBS All Access.

I would guess Confirmed it will appear on Netflix here on the 25th.

The season will be split into two chapters: The first part (eight episodes) will run from September to November, with the second chapter to resume in January 2018.

https://twitter.com/StarTrekNetflix/status/876832355612213248

Wow, an actual air-date. No turning back now!

• Advertisement

It will Premiere on September 24th on CBS and the second episode will be shown straight after on CBS All Access.

I would guess Confirmed it will appear on Netflix here on the 25th.

The season will be split into two chapters: The first part (eight episodes) will run from September to November, with the second chapter to resume in January 2018.

Oh, of course this is still a weekly broadcast. So despite airing on an online, premium channel, they're STILL going to be beholden to US season splits. Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If I had to guess, I suspect it's a lack of confidence from the money-men that post-Kirk Trek is a strong enough brand. Voyager and DS9 are probably seen as spin-offs that poisoned the TNG well a little

What? It was Enterprise - pre-Kirk - that poisoned the well.

In the words of Futurama's George Takei: Way to ruin the franchise, Bakula!

Zillah wrote: »

Maybe a touch of hyperbole on my part, and while Enterprise was absolutely the kill-shot so to speak, I think the rot set in with Voyager; a fantastic premise that consistently dropped the ball. And while latterly there has been a retrospective groundswell of support for DS9 (myself included), IIRC it got a lukewarm reception at the time. In either case, neither show pierced the non-fan public consciousness in the same way TNG managed, though Netflix & co. could change that.

Ultimately I don't get the impression CBS / Paramount actually know what to do with Star Trek, hence this third time they've explored the Kirk'y era (if we include the Kelvinverse). They have one of the biggest fictional franchises around yet have no clue how to use it. Meanwhile, half of Hollywood are dredging up any half-baked idea for their own 'shared universe'...

Ms

Zillah wrote: »

Awe come on now thats a bit harsh. It was not Scott Bukala,s fault that Enterprise failed. It was the producers for going back in the past and then not knowing what to do with it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Oh, of course this is still a weekly broadcast. So despite airing on an online, premium channel, they're STILL going to be beholden to US season splits. Sigh.

I think the mid-season split is to give them even more time to finish off production on the later episodes. Those new Klingon make-up designs take forever to apply!
    Maybe a touch of hyperbole on my part, and while Enterprise was absolutely the kill-shot so to speak, I think the rot set in with Voyager; a fantastic premise that consistently dropped the ball. And while latterly there has been a retrospective groundswell of support for DS9 (myself included), IIRC it got a lukewarm reception at the time. In either case, neither show pierced the non-fan public consciousness in the same way TNG managed, though Netflix & co. could change that.

Ultimately I don't get the impression CBS / Paramount actually know what to do with Star Trek, hence this third time they've explored the Kirk'y era (if we include the Kelvinverse). They have one of the biggest fictional franchises around yet have no clue how to use it. Meanwhile, half of Hollywood are dredging up any half-baked idea for their own 'shared universe'...

I think thats the saddest thing of all really. They've had this "shared universe" before there was even such a thing and they still can't seem to branch off and try something different.

Enterprise went back to the past, the movies went back to the past to create alternate timelines and this show is going back to the past yet again. But I guess at least this time they aren't going with a ship called enterprise....... :pac:

Although the same trepidation can been seen in the Star Wars movie juggernaut. Hopefully after their young Han Solo/ young Boba Fett / young Lando movies, they'll feel confident enough to venture off into some other as-yet-unseen part of the Star Wars universe.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Michelle Yeoh commanding a starship though. BRING IT ON!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement