Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New firearms renewal forms.

Options
  • 02-11-2015 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My Firearms Certificate renewal form arrived today. Almost completely pre populated, just the section about "previous history" needs filling up (if all other details same as before)
    But in the section dealing with a rifle Silencer (4.2) you only get the option of ticking "yes" or "no" to the question "Does your current Certificate authorise the possession of a Silencer?"
    There seems to be no option to request a Moderator/Silencer.
    Or do I just write a letter to the Super and include it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My Firearms Certificate renewal form arrived today. Almost completely pre populated, just the section about "previous history" needs filling up (if all other details same as before)
    But in the section dealing with a rifle Silencer (4.2) you only get the option of ticking "yes" or "no" to the question "Does your current Certificate authorise the possession of a Silencer?"
    There seems to be no option to request a Moderator/Silencer.
    Or do I just write a letter to the Super and include it?

AFAIK they are two separate issues, one being a renewal and the other getting permission for a moderator, if you currently don't have permission, you can't request a renewal.

I would imagine that you get your renewal and then send in an FCA 2 requesting a moderator.

Might be worth a call to your firearms officer too as he might be able to help you streamline the process.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Tick "No" because you don't have one, and then submit a separate piece of paper outlining your request and reasons for wanting one. The FCA2 is only used to amend details of or cancel a current license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Or you simply ignore the pre-populated form and fill out the standard FCA1 form ticking the box that you've held a cert for this firearm in the last three years. Then on the form tick the box for a mod and include a letter with your reasons.

You cannot. AGS will NOT accept an FCA1 in place of an FCR. Says so on their website:
    Please note that only the PRE POPULATED FCR form will be acceptable to An Garda Síochána when renewing a firearm certificate
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

As above, one of mine came up recently and it clearly states only the issued form my be used for renewal.

Options for mod as stated above - tick NO, and attach a application for one...

Or

Wait until your new license is renewed and apply for a moderator and the magic 'S' to be added.....some will say this could require you to pay again, but in my case and others I wasn't charged for the change .

• Advertisement

Sent two in for the uncle on the standard form as he misplaced the original pre-populated ones. Both were issued without a problem.
    Didn't realise it said they only accept the FCR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

hexosan wrote: »
    Sent two in for the uncle on the standard form as he misplaced the original pre-populated ones. Both were issued without a problem.
    Didn't realise it said they only accept the FCR

I sent a pre populated fcr in and it was returned to me with a blank fca1. :D note attached said 'not completed'.

Rang Supers office and mentioned that it was prepopulated, I was asked to send it back in, problem solved, nothing was changed. Go figure :)

The OP has his FCR, and the post above shows how to apply for the suppressor when returning it.

amadablam wrote: »
    I sent a pre populated fcr in and it was returned to me with a blank fca1. :D note attached said 'not completed'.

Rang Supers office and mentioned that it was prepopulated, I was asked to send it back in, problem solved, nothing was changed. Go figure :)

So as with all things firearms related, doesn't matter what the national policy is it all depends on where you live in the postcode lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

hexosan wrote: »
    So as with all things firearms related, doesn't matter what the national policy is it all depends on where you live in the postcode lottery.

Jeez, don't put your post code on it,
    it'll never be seen again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement