Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agent won't give deposit back

Options
  • 02-11-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

We were looking at a house. Went sale agreed and got an engineer report done on the property. The report showed numerous structural defects. I contacted the EA and said we were pulling out. He is refusing to give us our deposit back until we give him the report. I told him he can pay me the 450 euro to see the report. We still don't have our deposit. What are our options now? Surely he can't do this?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Tell him he has no right to retain the deposit and tell him that if he doesn't return it immediately you will be lodging a formal complaint with the PSRA (property services regulatory authority).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

assume you haven't signed contracts? If so, he has to return it to you, you don't have to give any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Thanks. Yeah that is what I thought. Will contact them about it and take it further if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If hes that keen to see the report, get him to make a contribution towards it. At this stage its no good to you,but if you even got €50 off him it would be all right.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There might not be an entitlement to sell on the report, as the engineer may have a clause restricting it to the party who paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Victor wrote: »
    There might not be an entitlement to sell on the report, as the engineer may have a clause restricting it to the party who paid for it.

The exhaustion of Intellectually Property rights doctrine would apply, but I think the OP means he'll sell the report for the deposit money...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

My structural report stated clearly that it was for mine and my solicitors and banks viewing only. Even if you never got a structural report you are still entitled to change your mind prior to signing of contracts and to get your deposit back. I would report the agent as suggested above immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Terrible behaviour, report him immediately to the regulator.
    This happens all the time and you are absolutely entitled to your deposit back!

Advertisement