Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible rodent issue

Options
  • 02-11-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

I live i a ground floor apartment. Today I noticed what appear to be rodent droppings. They are probably rat as they are large. I only found 3 individual droppings in 3 different locations - the first one was noticeable as it was stuck on the kitchen floor next to the bin, there was another about 12 feet away under the kitchen table, and the last in the hall by the front door (the hall is separate to the kitchen/dining room).

I have no other signs of rodents - no grease marks or tracks, no gnawed wood, no chewed wires or food packages tampered with, no noise that I've heard at night. I'm hoping if it is a rat that its an isolated one that has gotten in and not a nest due to the lack of other signs bar 3 separate droppings.

I've bought a bait box and 2 spring traps and I'll see what happens. Has anyone else had similar minor signs that have turned out to be an infestation?

Also - can't attach an image as nt enough posts but here's a link to a pic - do these look like rat droppings? i64.tinypic.com/312wenb.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

itsme2015 wrote: »
    Hi

I live i a ground floor apartment. Today I noticed what appear to be rodent droppings. They are probably rat as they are large. I only found 3 individual droppings in 3 different locations - the first one was noticeable as it was stuck on the kitchen floor next to the bin, there was another about 12 feet away under the kitchen table, and the last in the hall by the front door (the hall is separate to the kitchen/dining room).

I have no other signs of rodents - no grease marks or tracks, no gnawed wood, no chewed wires or food packages tampered with, no noise that I've heard at night. I'm hoping if it is a rat that its an isolated one that has gotten in and not a nest due to the lack of other signs bar 3 separate droppings.

I've bought a bait box and 2 spring traps and I'll see what happens. Has anyone else had similar minor signs that have turned out to be an infestation?

Also - can't attach an image as nt enough posts but here's a link to a pic - do these look like rat droppings? i64.tinypic.com/312wenb.jpg

It appears to be rat dropping s . But it looks like a long hair or something on the second bit. I would try and locate the point of entry asap. I don't want to scare you but rat in the house is so dangerous. If you have kids get them out till you locate the problem . If your renting call your landlord immediately. Failing that call Rentokil

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

castle2012 wrote: »
    It appears to be rat dropping s . But it looks like a long hair or something on the second bit. I would try and locate the point of entry asap. I don't want to scare you but rat in the house is so dangerous. If you have kids get them out till you locate the problem . If your renting call your landlord immediately. Failing that call Rentokil

Three suspected rat droppings and you want to move any kids out? Obviously you need to take precautions but lets not over react here. OP should try and find any possible entry point and make sure there is no potential food source. Either empty the cupboards or seal up all food in plastic bags etc, lay traps and poison. If the problem persists or worsens you need to increase your efforts, possibly even call an exterminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 itsme2015

Three suspected rat droppings and you want to move any kids out? Obviously you need to take precautions but lets not over react here. OP should try and find any possible entry point and make sure there is no potential food source. Either empty the cupboards or seal up all food in plastic bags etc, lay traps and poison. If the problem persists or worsens you need to increase your efforts, possibly even call an exterminator.

Thanks! No kids or pets. Just the ick factor of going asleep tonight and wondering if theyre in the bedroom! As i say, the only signs being 3 droppings has me hopeful that its currently a lone guy so want to sort it out before he brings his mates. Hopefully the traps will sort it. Laying them down and combing the place tonight to look for entry signs and seal up food etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP Check the soles of your shoes/trainers for dog poo or other animal poo. Often with trainers or walking shoes with certain patterns muck and dirt can get caught in the pattern on the sole and can fall off as it dries out when you are walking around indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

may I suggest calling the HSE rodent / pest control (free service) based in Blanchardstown I think. They come in a regular van and put poison down. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

How is the waste stored in the block? All the bin lids always closed? Is the bin store door shut at all times? Is there a proper rodent management plan in place?

Rodent control 101 is you dont use poison in a residential unit. If they die in your house under the floor or behind a built in wardrobe. It will stink. Use a rat trap similar in still to this one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Cheese-Rat-Cage-Trap/dp/B000QVSCH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446503302&sr=8-1&keywords=rat+trap

This is traps the likes of rentakil use in houses(my dad called them out and the trap was like this). You should pick up this in a decent hardware or maybe a farmers co-op

• Registered Users Posts: 16 itsme2015

Thanks all. Laid traps last nite and put down some flour to pick up their tracks. All clear this morning, no trails or new droppings, nothing in the traps. I know one night alone tells me nothing but how likely is the possibility that a lone opportunistic rodent has come in through a briefly open door or something, as opposed to infestation? As I say, we dont hear anying gnawing, scratching it squeaking. Tore the place apart last nite looking for any signs or entry points and found none.

Advertisement