Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming compensation from KLM for delayed luggage

Options
  • 02-11-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently abroad outside Europe and on the flight over from Dublin, KLM didn't manage to get my bags on the same flight. My bags didn't arrive for 48 hours so I had to buy a fresh change of clothes and toiletries (apparently I'm allowed up to 100 euro according to the KLM leaflet they gave me at the airport). I have all receipts.

To file a claim I have to do it online.

I see from their contact form that they need my bank details (https://www.klm.com/travel/ie_en/customer_support/customer_support/contact/ecomplaints_customercare.htm) but I don't have those with me.

I'll be able to file the report when I get back home later this week, and I already have the PIR so does it matter that I file the report after 7 days have elapsed? It will be around 9 days after the incident when the report will be submitted as I'll have my bank details then.

Additionally, is 100 euro the limit for compensation in these circumstances or should I claim with my credit card supplier first?

Has anyone done similar with KLM and any advice? cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why do you think there may be a problem submitting the claim after 7 days have elapsed? You reported the bag missing, presumably you got a reference number so they have a record of the event.

Your credit card supplier will only compensate you if there is built-in travel insurance cover when you purchase a flight using that card. That won't be the case unless it's a card with an annual fee over and above the Govt levy e.g. a Bank of Ireland Platinum card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You've 21 days from the date the luggage eventually arrived to lodge a claim for delayed luggage.
    http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/air-travel/baggage/
    Timely notice of complaints For Delayed lugagge you have 21 days from the date on which your bag was eventually delivered to submit a written claim for compensation. Remember to keep a copy of your letter for your records and to enclose copies of the relevant documentation, e.g. copy of the baggage tags, PIR, booking confirmation and receipts.

If the luggage is damaged you have 7 days from receipt to claim for the damage.
    Timely notice of complaints Under the Montreal Convention you only have 7 days from the date of the receipt of the damaged luggage to submit a written claim for compensation. Remember to keep a copy of your letter for your records and to enclose copies of the relevant documentation, e.g. copy of the baggage tags, PIR, booking confirmation and receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Use a friend's bank account details if you are stuck. KLM won't be able to tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Klm cover you for 100 for delayed baggage? You sure? Never heard of any airline doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Klm cover you for 100 for delayed baggage? You sure? Never heard of any airline doing that?

EU regulations cover costs for "essentials" in delayed baggage. I don't think a limit below the overall limit for lost baggage (About a grand) is actually legit, but what is 'essential' is debatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Montreal Convention
    https://www.klm.com/travel/ie_en/plan_and_book/booking/book_a_flight/ebt_help/travel_information.htm#p7

I had baggage delayed on a BA long haul flight many years ago. The delay was only 1 day but I received €20 on the spot at the lost baggage desk. €20 was plenty to cover my needs at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

You need to be on the outward leg to a strange place AFAIK. If its delayed on the way home to Dublin you get nothing. Mine took 2 days after I got home and I got nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Hmm....where is this 100€ thing on klm site? I think klm delivering your baggage to you as soon as they can precludes the application of Montreal.. Bare essentials IE some toiletries and sleeping clothes maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hmm....where is this 100€ thing on klm site? I think klm delivering your baggage to you as soon as they can precludes the application of Montreal.. Bare essentials IE some toiletries and sleeping clothes maybe...

It was written on a document that KLM gave me on arrival at the "strange place" :)

If your baggage is delayed on arrival in Ireland you get nowt as you can just pop home to get other clothes/toiletries, whereas if you are without these in a foreign country you need to get new underwear/clothes/toiletries up to €100 in value.

Advertisement