Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2015/2016 off season thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Chapman won't face any criminal charges resulting from the domestic violence incident

What's the story with discipline and MLB? Is it like the NFL where no charges need to be brought for you to get suspended and they get you under the banner of 'bringing the game into disrepute!? Or is he off the hook now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

What's the story with discipline and MLB? Is it like the NFL where no charges need to be brought for you to get suspended and they get you under the banner of 'bringing the game into disrepute!? Or is he off the hook now?

I still think he'll get a ban but it won't be much. Just to lay down a marker that MLB won't accept it considering they only introduced the domestic abuse rules recently

Mets fans' heads have been exploding on Twitter over the past couple of days with all this Cespedas stuff. If I wasn't one myself, I'd be finding it hilarious.

Mets fans' heads have been exploding on Twitter over the past couple of days with all this Cespedas stuff. If I wasn't one myself, I'd be finding it hilarious.

And he's staying with the Mets on a 3 year deal with an option to bolt after 1. A good result for the Mets not having to give him a long term deal but of course if he has a good year, there's no way they'll be able to keep him beyond 2016.

Also nice to see a player turn down more money to play for a team he wants to instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And he's staying with the Mets on a 3 year deal with an option to bolt after 1. A good result for the Mets not having to give him a long term deal but of course if he has a good year, there's no way they'll be able to keep him beyond 2016.

Also nice to see a player turn down more money to play for a team he wants to instead.

Ahh, I knew moving to Ireland would improve my luck. Wow! Now to find cheap airfares for the playoffs!

OT: Is it just my connection, or is boards like, way slower than it was a few weeks back? Everything's forever to load now.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ahh, I knew moving to Ireland would improve my luck. Wow! Now to find cheap airfares for the playoffs!

OT: Is it just my connection, or is boards like, way slower than it was a few weeks back? Everything's forever to load now.

Yeah, the site definitely is slower than usual. Still recovering from the DDOS attack earlier in the week I suppose.

Just read that he gets 27.5 mill if he opts out next season.. Nice if you can get it..

Rockies trade OF Corey Dickerson to the Rays for multiple pitchers including RP Jake McGee

Just read that he gets 27.5 mill if he opts out next season.. Nice if you can get it..

I found a very detailed analysis of the Mets offer vs. the gNats offer in my favorite NYC mets blog (Occasionally post to it usually badmouthing the owners):
    http://metsmerizedonline.com/2016/01/how-much-did-cespedes-leave-on-table-to-stay-with-the-mets.html/

• Advertisement

Brewers acquire 2B Aaron Hill and P Chase Anderson from the Diamondbacks for package of players including SS Jean Segura

Greg Bird of the Yankees out for the year apparently. Even though he wasn't a starter he's a pretty good backup from the little bits I saw of him. And with Texeria's injury history, the chances are he would have seen plenty of action this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I don't understand the Cory Dickerson and Jake McGee trade!?

After a 5 year gap, I'm finally getting back over to see some games. Booked a trip to see the Mets play the Dodgers (and one against the White Sox) in late May. They're honouring the 1986 team that weekend so hopefully there'll be a good buzz about the place.

After a 5 year gap, I'm finally getting back over to see some games. Booked a trip to see the Mets play the Dodgers (and one against the White Sox) in late May. They're honouring the 1986 team that weekend so hopefully there'll be a good buzz about the place.

If you get a chance, best pizza I found in my last year in Manhattan was 'Prince Street Pizza,' especially the Grandma's.
    Walking distance is "Il Laboratorio de Gelato," across from Katz's famous deli. They train chefs in the making of Gelato and there are just some wicked good flavors there.

Enjoy

Tyler Clippard's signed a deal with Arizona. Watch the time of their games increase by at least 20 minutes. He takes an age from when he gets the ball to actually pitching the ball.

• Advertisement

Tyler Clippard's signed a deal with Arizona. Watch the time of their games increase by at least 20 minutes. He takes an age from when he gets the ball to actually pitching the ball.

Who have you got closing, him or Ziegler?
    Arizona were very good last year (and definitely have better pitching this year) but when you look at their batters, you really struggle to see where it all came from.

Blue Jays and Donaldson sign a 2yr deal for around 29 million to avoid arbitration

Who have you got closing, him or Ziegler?
    Arizona were very good last year (and definitely have better pitching this year) but when you look at their batters, you really struggle to see where it all came from.

I don't think Clippard will close. He'll be the 8th inning guy I'd say.

Looks like the new rule change for sliding into second base will be in place for the start of this season. It makes sense in my opinion, You can still slide and take out the fielder if he's in the vicinity of the base but no following him out to the outfield to take him out anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

will it really make much difference? still going to have slides like Chase Utley's on Tejada as that was right at the bag and still caused a crazy amount of controversy

• Advertisement

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    will it really make much difference? still going to have slides like Chase Utley's on Tejada as that was right at the bag and still caused a crazy amount of controversy

The Utley slide was well to the right of the bag (and late!) if my memory serves me right. But I'm biased on this one ha ha!!

The new rule though will make it necessary for the runner to at least make an effort to touch the bag so if the fielder is even a bit away from it, he should be alright. To balance it out and make it fair to the runner, they should get rid of the neighbourhood play and make the fielder touch the bag every time. Some of the ones they get away with are ridiculous.

Didn't notice this earlier, but it looks like mlb.com might be a little cheaper going forward.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3d58da5f969a41108ac4d7a384ddbd6e/trial-was-start-settlement-reached-mlb-tv-dispute

If you're a subscriber you probably will receive an e-mail about this today like I did.

Didn't notice this earlier, but it looks like mlb.com might be a little cheaper going forward.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3d58da5f969a41108ac4d7a384ddbd6e/trial-was-start-settlement-reached-mlb-tv-dispute

If you're a subscriber you probably will receive an e-mail about this today like I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

they should get rid of the neighbourhood play and make the fielder touch the bag every time. Some of the ones they get away with are ridiculous.

I agree some of the slides are crazy but I kind of like the neighbourhood play, don't want to sanitise the sport too much like they are doing with football.

Igotadose wrote: »

Didn't get my email yet. What's the price for us when you add in the tax?

I think we gave Jenry Mejia of the Mets the 'Moron of the Year' award last season when he was caught using PEDs for the second time, while he was still under suspension for his first offence. And that got him a 162 game ban which wasn't due to end until July/August. Well now he's topped that by getting done a third time and has been banned for life. How dumb can someone be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I think we gave Jenry Mejia of the Mets the 'Moron of the Year' award last season when he was caught using PEDs for the second time, while he was still under suspension for his first offence. And that got him a 162 game ban which wasn't due to end until July/August. Well now he's topped that by getting done a third time and has been banned for life. How dumb can someone be?
    Moron is an understatement! The PED he was juicing is strong...meant for cattle and horses and stays in the system a long time. Should have just banned him for life the second time he was caught and everyone the bother...

A's acquire OF Khris Davis from the Brewers for a couple of prospects

haven't subscribed yet :(

Jenrry Mejia... *headslap*. Good riddance, there'll be another to take his place.

One article I read pointed out just how fragile he's been, lots and lots of injuries. The first PED ban came when he was having a 'stiff elbow' problem.

Thank goodness Familia stepped up, though I'm far from sold on him long-term, reminds me too much of Armando Benitez and he didn't shine in the WS.

Got to say, as hard as this is, makes what Mariano Rivera did all that more impressive, I think what, 1 blown save in all those WS appearances? There, going to go do some penance after praising a member of THAT team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Currently (as per xe.com's exchange rate) it's €121.64 including tax.

• Advertisement

Orioles sign P Yovani Gallardo to a 3 yr 35 million deal but in turn have to forfeit the 14th pick of 2016 draft.

Orioles sign P Yovani Gallardo to a 3 yr 35 million deal but in turn have to forfeit the 14th pick of 2016 draft.

Anyone got a clue about how the ALE is going to end up? You could put an argument for and against all the teams winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anyone got a clue about how the ALE is going to end up? You could put an argument for and against all the teams winning it.

Jays
    Yankees
    Red Sox
    Orioles
    Rays

My short term memory is appalling so most off season moves that took place before Christmas. it's only now as players are reporting to camps that I remember who has signed with who.

I completely forgot that Johnny Cueto was with the Giants now until I saw it in my Twitter fead. I'm sure I'll have a few more "oh yeah, I forgot he was playing with them" moments before the season starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Barry Bonds was just hired as a hitting coach for the Marlins.

Convenient for him, can go visit Aroids juice bar!

So they've hired Barry Bonds and banned facial hair. Bit of an odd off season for the Marlins!

So they've hired Barry Bonds and banned facial hair. Bit of an odd off season for the Marlins!

Wow Bonds really slimmed down. Off the juice, big hulk muscles gone, he looks like he did when he played for the Pirates. What a loser.

Silly money for an average pitcher (at best) AND they lose a draft pick....

• Advertisement

I loved the quote from Jose Bautista yesterday about his contract negotiations. No messing, just like his bat flips.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/tor/toronto-blue-jays

The Dan LeBatard clip on the link is worth a listen

The problem with giving young men ridiculous amounts of money is that they spend it on yolks like this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/02/23/you-will-not-believe-what-yoenis-cespedes-drove-to-mets-spring-training-facility/

Apparently he's had 8 custom cars made up including a $300k Lamborghini. He'd better be able to back up the extravagance with his performances at the plate!

I don't know what to make of this....

http://deadspin.com/d-backs-pitcher-josh-collmenter-teaches-physics-to-team-1760815145

Seems a bit weird but whatever keeps you happy I suppose.

They've just signed Dexter Fowler to a deal too so certainly trying to make a push this season. I've always liked him but the fact that he was unsigned for so long makes me think I'm missing something

They've just restructured his deal to 2 years with option

They've just signed Dexter Fowler to a deal too so certainly trying to make a push this season. I've always liked him but the fact that he was unsigned for so long makes me think I'm missing something

Scrap that. He's ended up with the Cubs after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Scrap that. He's ended up with the Cubs after all.

The vid of him walking out to his teammates with the GM was kinda cool. The first to spot him thought he was coming to say bye then, as they all turned, he said he was staying and it was hugs all round. There were a few exclamatory expletives issued! :D

So the Cubs had a deal in place with Victorino before Fowler went through.
    Now he's been signed, the OF is jammed!
    Will Soler get traded now for pitching?

I need to get a life. I am currently watching a Mets intra squad game (with none of the big name players playing) on Periscope and getting updates on Twitter. There is basically one camera behind home plate with no commentary.

30 game ban for Chapman which I presume will be reduced on appeal.

EDIT - Just read he won't be appealing so 30 games it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Interesting that he won't be appealing.
    Appealing seems to be the done thing in American sports so I would imagine this was the Players Union, the Yankees and Chapman's agent all convincing him to just serve the suspension and move on. This is not something you want over your head for longer than is needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement