Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget laptop for RDP to workstation

• 02-11-2015 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to see if any one has good bargin for a budget laptop.

The laptop would just be used as a remote for my powerfull desktop.

I was looking at this

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/laptops/1403982/toshiba-satellite-c40-c-review/page/0/1 €250 in argos

It is clearly a low end machine but if all i need is a decent screen size i.e not too small ( i am a software dev and i like to work away when i can). light and once powerful enough to RDP.

Is there any other better spec'd laptops for the money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

2 GB of Ram, na, you need that just for the operating system, you'll need 4GB really minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭L1011

2 GB of Ram, na, you need that just for the operating system, you'll need 4GB really minimum

If he's solely RDPing, that's pretty much irrelevant. Thin client RDP terminals often have 256MB still.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭shawnxxiong

Try raspberry pi if you are solely RDP, much cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd go 2nd hand no?

L1011 wrote: »
    If he's solely RDPing, that's pretty much irrelevant. Thin client RDP terminals often have 256MB still.

Yep but if he wants to listen to music or anything at all outside of RDP then its a no surely, The operating system alone is going to use 2GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

this might do you

https://www.groupon.ie/deals/gg-titanium-computers-5-52?CID=IE_AFF_5600_225_5383_1&mediaId=375610&utm_medium=afl&utm_source=GPN&utm_campaign=207436

the laptop I use for RDPing into work is a piece of crap running XP! But it does the job, it's used for nothing more than a portal to connect to my work PC. And I'll continue to use it until the day it gives up the ghost

I use my phone for music, if I want music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭poitinstill

seems to be a lot of them on groupon.... Refurbished
    HP Probook 6460b Core i5 for 249 ?
    Dell Latitude E4310 Laptop 13.3” Intel Core i5 for 269

Yep but if he wants to listen to music or anything at all outside of RDP then its a no surely, The operating system alone is going to use 2GB

What memory leaking music player do you use?

L1011 wrote: »
    What memory leaking music player do you use?
    Again the OS uses 2GB so anything on top of that no matter how small will have an impact

Again the OS uses 2GB so anything on top of that no matter how small will have an impact

No OS in existance uses 2GB when idling.

RDP client and a music player are going to use 100MB tops.

You clearly have some hideously leaky background cruft if your OS is using 2GB idling.

• Advertisement

Boards is great isn't it,(tangents and all) anyway in opinion for an extra €50 you should easily be able to pick something up with 4GB ram, you's want to be mad in this day and age to run a window laptop on anything less than 4GB

Advertisement