Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom vanity light...Where to take power from?

Options
  • 02-11-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

It has it's own switch. Just wondering should I take a feed from the ceiling rose or could i take it from the main bathroom switch. The latter would be so much easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

Anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

when you say main bathroom switch - do you mean the light switch?

I would have thought "a bit of both".
    In my my house, one of the wires (live or neutral - cant rem which... nearly sure its neutral) is daisy chained around each of the ceiling lights.
    The opposite wire (nearly sure its live) is daisy chained around the light switches and the other side of the switch is run to the light to break/make the supply.
    So in that case - if you take supply from the switch there'll be live there all the time but no neutral.
    If you take it from the ceiling light, there'll be a live and a neutral but the live will depend on whether the corresponding switch is on.

So if it were me doing it id add it on to the end of my existing circuit (which actually happens to end in my bathroom)

Disclaimer - im not a sparks, im going from memory of my *old* system (the wires are red and black :) ) and my basic understanding of electrics. So you should get a second opinion before you do anything and be sure you know what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

If you don't know what you are doing then you should get a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) to do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Anyone? :)

If there is a neutral at the switch you can take a permanent feed and neutral from there. Otherwise take your feed supply from he switch and neutral from the existing light.

Sometimes it's not easy to get two neutral wires connected from your bathroom globe, but it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

No neutral at the switch so i took the live and neutral from the ceiling rose.
    Done deal ....

YtoGE22h.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement