Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Degag wrote: »
    It's a disease. Most alcoholics think there is nothing wrong with their drinking and don't realise the damage it is doing to them.

I do not agree with that in any way shape or form. IMO thats just an excuse gave by people to take responsibility away from the alcoholic for their own actions.

*You'd be wasting your time if you try to convince me otherwise & let's not get off topic of the grand slam :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I agree that it's self inflicted and alcoholism isn't a disease, it's a bad habit but jesus that wouldn't stop me having sympathy for him. People die of heart disease all the time from eating fatty foods or smoking.

I was delighted to see Andy back,you can see how humbled he was to get a second chance. I hope it gives him a boost now and he can qualify for lakeside 2017

I'm glad we don't have to hear anymore of that non story about him not liking Taylor.

Longer format now and most of the donkeys knocked out, it starts getting intersting. I hope Adams beats Hybreachts because I want to see him play MvG or Taylor.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I agree that it's self inflicted and alcoholism isn't a disease, it's a bad habit but jesus that wouldn't stop me having sympathy for him. People die of heart disease all the time from eating fatty foods or smoking.

I was delighted to see Andy back,you can see how humbled he was to get a second chance. I hope it gives him a boost now and he can qualify for lakeside 2017

I'm glad we don't have to hear anymore of that non story about him not liking Taylor.

Longer format now and most of the donkeys knocked out, it starts getting intersting. I hope Adams beats Hybreachts because I want to see him play MvG or Taylor.

Aye but I'm a real **** that way though :D I have sympathy for his family/friends who had to live/deal with him but for him, nah. As I said though I wish him best for future & hope he stays off the drink.

I really like Kim and want to see him back in PL next year so I'm hoping he does well over next few tournaments to try and cement his spot although Watching MVG roaring while battering Wolfie would be quite fun to watch too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Wolfie gave a great interview after his win and has defo gone up in most darts fans estimation. He knows deep down he won't live with the big boys but hey who cares he is enjoying himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Degag wrote: »
    It's a disease. Most alcoholics think there is nothing wrong with their drinking and don't realise the damage it is doing to them.

No it isn't, calling it a disease is a lame excuse for someone unwilling to quit and face life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

No it isn't, calling it a disease is a lame excuse for someone unwilling to quit and face life.

Can we stop this bitching please, and just enjoy the fact that Andy has came a long way as all darts fans should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

look at big andy and ask yourself,is that a sportsman? serious by the way, there are far too many of them very overweight for the mainstream to take darts as a sport seriously, we have the big bucks right now,it may not last though. im not saying the should be slim or musclebound, but the likes of aidy lewis,merv king,michael smith to a lesser extent as hes very young ,keegan brown.. could all do with dropping weight,they cant be fit and it must affect them under the lights,especially the longer formats ..

its very noticeable with aidy lewis in the bigger he has got the less consistent he has become,does not look like winning a major any time i see him these days,same with king

Yes 99% of darters are overweight. MvG put on a lot over the last few years, I noticed how heavy hybrechts is after getting too. It's the lifestyle I suppose, always travelling so lots of fast food, lots of pints. I often wonder if being a bit chunky gives you an advantage throwing a dart? Maybe a steadier hand or something seen as there is none of the top 20 players you would consider thin or fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Yes 99% of darters are overweight. MvG put on a lot over the last few years, I noticed how heavy hybrechts is after getting too. It's the lifestyle I suppose, always travelling so lots of fast food, lots of pints. I often wonder if being a bit chunky gives you an advantage throwing a dart? Maybe a steadier hand or something seen as there is none of the top 20 players you would consider thin or fit.

Wade, Anderson, Wright, Whitlock and Klassen are all top 20 and not huge.

Lewis and Smith are still young enough to try and drop the weight.
    Would be a big advantage to not be sweating like a beast under the the lights.

It must be the lifestyle but that's just an excuse. With the money involved now it's worth it to eat healthier and hit the gym a bit.

wade is borderline ,was heavier a few months ago,could be his meds affecting his appetite though

• Advertisement

Wade is heavy enough, massive beer belly, peter wright has another huge beer belly? I'll give you the other three. Gary is probably so full of coffee he keeps the weight down haha

I would pretty much put over eating in the same category as over drinking, its down to the individual and their choices. There are some medical exceptions, which I'm no expert about but I believe theroid gland problems effect what you eat and some people process food in different ways(metabolism I think its called). I don't believe its great for the sport. I don't think lifestyle can be used as an excuse. You just need to look at musicians, they to travel like crazy eating fast food and a lot of them drink like fish but there are plenty which are not overweight.

Anyways, back to actual darts talk and after the group stages is anyone wondering how PDC Vs BDO matches went?

PDC won 17(103 legs) - BDO won 7(64 legs)

Thorn on fire

Thorn on fire

:mad: WTF happened to his sore foot is what I want to know(Yeah I heard Harrington talking about it)? Instinct told me clear win, remembered about his foot and bet on 16+ legs in the match :rolleyes: If stays with throw I'm ok.

Damn breaks now too, its been great being able to watch games straight through the last few days. I wonder how the breaks will effect the BDO players.....oh yeah theres only 1 left and he's going out anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wade is heavy enough, massive beer belly, peter wright has another huge beer belly? I'll give you the other three. Gary is probably so full of coffee he keeps the weight down haha

Hmm they must wear flattering clothes because I don't see it really :pac:

Rod Harrington scud Thorntons foot at 4-1 lol. This has been a very enjoyable game, Green upto near 99 averagge! I didn't think he had that kind of game in him

good game that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Was hoping Robbie would sneak it. Thornton was there for the taking.

I think for the good of the tournament its better Thornton got through. Got Taylor -3.5 legs here, think Jenks form has been pretty miserable but Taylor missed 7 at duble in 1st leg is not a good start

What is with Thornton bouncing his head around the place and giving out to himself even when he hits a 180. His face annoys me so much! Green lacks the killer instinct but still threw brilliant darts.

Slow start from Phil here, he's all over the place. Cmon Terry!!

• Advertisement

What is with Thornton bouncing his head around the place and giving out to himself even when he hits a 180. His face annoys me so much! Green lacks the killer instinct but still threw brilliant darts.

Everytime I hear the phrase "looks like a bulldog chewing a wasp" I think of Thornton :D

Good comeback here although Terry is giving it away

Great 158 from Jenks after Taylor passed on the bull(HAA btw)

Devastator wrote:
    Great 158 from Jenks after Taylor passed on the bull(HAA btw)

That's so annoying and I love seeing it punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Never saw this coming from Webster fair play to him.

Webster really has come back from the dead. He's in a great run of form the last 3 or 4 months. I still fancy Gary to win this but he is leaving it late.

Alot of dirty underwear tonight for punters id say after watching Phil and now this.

Here comes the fightback Gary is up for it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

crasy dash wrote: »
    Here comes the fightback Gary is up for it now

Fair play to Webby back to his best

Great finish by Webster delighted for him thought Gary was going to come back

• Advertisement

Fair play to Webster he didn't slow down at all. Lethal on the doubles. Apart from MvG this tournament is wide open

Advertisement