Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

10 out of 14 doubles, thats great finishing! I thought Ando would slaughter him tonight! Ruins my tipster comp!! Was 4th & thats gonna hurt but I expect most others to have bet on Ando to

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Brilliant from Webster. He is completely focused for the entire game and his finishing was spot on. Delighted for him and great to see him back playing good darts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Can't see Barney coming close to wade here on current form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Depends what barney shows up though.
    Hope its a belter of a game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

James getting really annoyed there. It will sicken me to see Barney win this with pure gamesmanship.

• Advertisement

Well fek that anyway James not happy he had his chances though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Wade refused to shake his hand. Barney slowed it down but he's well within his rights to do so. It's part of the game and Wade let it get to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Disgraceful from Barney, sickening to see him win like that. Wade was dead right not to shake his hand and Barney knew it. Hope he gets stuffed in the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Disgraceful from Barney, sickening to see him win like that. Wade was dead right not to shake his hand and Barney knew it. Hope he gets stuffed in the next round.

The only disgrace was Wade and his petulance, Barney did absolutely nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

danganabu wrote: »
    The only disgrace was Wade and his petulance, Barney did absolutely nothing wrong.

There's a difference between taking your time and taking the piss. Barney took the piss big time there and as the commentators mentioned, I have never seen him do that before. He's struggling to keep up now and he's resorting to the kind of underhanded tactics that he would have condemned if they were used against him while he was still playing at his best.

• Advertisement

Barney slowed down to disrupt Wade thats obvious. Barney is usually a fast thrower. Although James still missed a few darts at doubles it was because he had lost focus. Barney is within his rights to slow down but it's horrible to see. He couldn't beat him playing his own game so he has to try sly tactics.

Who is Barney playing next round?

Its rvb v Webster next I think

crasy dash wrote:
    Its rvb v Webster next I think

Really hope Webby can keep up his form. If Barney goes deep here he is a cert for premier league and he will still be in all the top 16 tournaments. . Please barney, just retire. We know you hate playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Wade is misplacing his anger. He should be furious with himself, not Barney. Barney taking his time before throwing had nothing to do with all those missed doubles.

Some of these players are so fúcking precious.

Barney slowed down a lot there. I hate that kind of play. Fair enough if he takes a few seconds to compose but it got to a bad level.

A good night of darts and expected comebacks and upsets. Green pushed Thornton. Taylor was 4-0 down to Jenkins. Ando got beat! And Barney/Wade and the antics......but after all that I got my bet up :D

3 sections just inside the wire lol Just under 5/1 on the quad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

mdwexford wrote: »
    Very hard to imagine Taylor or Ando losing.

Thornton should have too much for Green.

Wade is playing brilliant so far but have a feeling Barney may show up tonight. Could be a close one.

Bar MVG tomorrow is rock hard, three very tight games there on paper.

Called it fairly right bar Anderson.

Webster was fantastic, his doubles were class and he never let up the pressure on his own throw. The fact Ando averaged 104 and didn't break him during the whole match is crazy. Fair play to him, seems like a sound guy.

Disappointed in Wade tonight, not shaking hands there was pathetic.
    Just because Barney slowed it down was no reason to behave like that. He missed the doubles and had his chances. Nobody to blame but himself.

Taylor was awful tonight.
    91 average, the bull really let him off the hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Barney didn't break any rules here, Wade had plenty of opportunities and blew them simple as that, also he's been a professional for 10+ years so surely to jaysus he can deal with somebody slowing down the pace. Anybody giving Barney stick most likely lost an accumulator because Wade messed up.

Ps, has Wade never played Justin Pipe or Andy Hamilton??? Those lads take an age to throw 3 darts, no excuses for Wade, he only has himself to blame and very bad form not shaking hands!

Ps, has Wade never played Justin Pipe or Andy Hamilton??? Those lads take an age to throw 3 darts, no excuses for Wade, he only has himself to blame and very bad form not shaking hands!

I thinks its different though, every one knows Pipe throws very slowly, but when the game starts at a good pace but then all of a sudden the opponent starts arsing around on the oche, it would frustrate you and it worked because it angered James and caused him to get too aggressive with his darts.

Barney broke no rules, but he did a job on Wade there.

mdwexford wrote:
    Taylor was awful tonight. 91 average, the bull really let him off the hook.

I don't recall ever seen Phil play as poorly as he did tonight? Really inconsistent. Surprised he even managed the 91 average. Terry Jenkins just couldn't handle it, he probably thought he was going to win 10 nil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Disgraceful from Barney, sickening to see him win like that. Wade was dead right not to shake his hand and Barney knew it. Hope he gets stuffed in the next round.[/QUOT

I don't agree as someone else said he did nothing wrong, Wade's mind is fragile and Barney played on that. He should have shook hands made him look petty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I thinks its different though, every one knows Pipe throws very slowly, but when the game starts at a good pace but then all of a sudden the opponent starts arsing around on the oche, it would frustrate you and it worked because it angered James and caused him to get too aggressive with his darts.

Agreed so no issue, bar Wade not shaking hands.

ComfortKid wrote: »

But I don't think that slowing down the game works on everybody, Wade seems susceptible to these sort of things so naturally some of his opponents are going to take advantage of that, Wade would be far better off just getting on with his game.

Now gamesmanship isn't exactly an admirable thing but Barney wasn't trying to throw Wade off while James was throwing (like Manley did to Lewis at the world's years ago) so again I just think it's Wade looking for excuses after buckling under pressure. We've seen him do it before, remember he accused Lewis of stamping on the floorboards after losing another half time lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Wade was back and standing behind Barney before he'd even moved forward to the oche.
    How slow would you have to go before the ref would tell a player to hurry up?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

gramar wrote: »
    Wade was back and standing behind Barney before he'd even moved forward to the oche.
    How slow would you have to go before the ref would tell a player to hurry up?

There is no speed clock at all. Thankfully.

Also, Barney sped back up once it was back on throw and was throwing well again.

He did absolutely the right thing for himself. It was a happy coincidence that Wade imploded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

All wade has done is shown his hand at how to get on his wick..silly move..anyone can try it on him now

All wade has done is shown his hand at how to get on his wick..silly move..anyone can try it on him now

I agree and that's not good heading into the World Championship, a tournament that Wade has consistently underperformed in. You can be certain now that someone will try to get on his tits next month if Wade is beating them heading into a final session and sadly he only has himself to blame for that.

I think Barney probably did take some extra time to try and compose himself when he was loosing but then when he was getting a rise out of Wade I think he pushed it too far. He had to win last night to get into the top 16 in rankings so it was a very important match in which he was losing and going out in.

IF this was the first incident involving Barney then fair enough, we'd probably all more or less give him the benefit of the doubt BUT its not and has happened very recently in very similar circumstances. Remember his match against Ando towards the end of the PL? Ando was 4-0 up I think and by the end it finished 6-6 with Ando accusing Barney of stomping as he walked past him on the oche.....but its never his fault is it? He's Mr Innocent!

I don't think he is a good enough(top 16) player anymore, he can make whatever excuses he wants but IMO he's resorting to these underhand tactics to try and gain a little bit of an edge. Its such a shame to say that about any previous world champion, nevermind a 5 time champ who has been involved in some great games. I dont like to see these sort of tactics from any player, any age or any reputation, if your darts aren't good enough then you're not good enough to still be in the comp.

Anyway I'm still buzzing at getting another bet. Despite the stress I hope I can land another 1 tonight but hope for a little bit of leeway in between

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

barney was like a innocent spoilt child in his interview last night
    oh iv had a terrible few years etc
    hes resorting to the dark arts just like anderson claimed in the premier league
    at least bristow when he done it never denied it, even manley and hankey laughed about doing it
    no laws again doing it but dont try deny it people arnt stupid

chris masons twitter last night summed it up perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Think Mason was a bit of an arse on Twitter myself.
    I do like that he gives his honest views though.

Wade apologised on Twitter last night as well for being unprofessional and not shaking hands.

• Advertisement

What was Mason saying?

I got pissed off when Taylor was 4-0 down and turned my laptop off(Bad loser at gambling lol) and then had to stream the darts so didnt go on twitter last night.

Advertisement