Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What were the handbags? I wasn't really watching, I dislike Lewis so much I can't even look at his face.

snakebite didnt get darts out of board fast enough for lewis's liking as the ref was leaning in to see point of contact,snakebite danced around to try get out of the way ..

lewis complaining,then they jeered at each other after hitting big scores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Real sour note creeping into the games last two nights.it should be about the darts and nothing else.

I turned it off because Lewis is acting the twat and acting like Phil up there tonight.Peter isn't much better to be fair making faces when its Aideys throw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

The big question is Will they shake hands!!!

What's the odds on the hand shake haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Watch yourselves lads.

I suck Adys balls, I'll stab you lot if you keep it up.

Good win there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I met him at an exhibition where he played my son and based upon that experience I would say the complete opposite of what you just said.

Genuinely glad to hear it, because he comes across terribly on TV IMO.

Don't mind Huybrechts but hope Wolfie wins this.

Like to see him have a deep run, although he seems to be on the wrong side the form MVG showed tonight.

Smith will beat Lewis again next round so it's not too bad.

mdwexford wrote:
    Don't mind Huybrechts but hope Wolfie wins this.

Same here, I think he will win too. I'd love to see a Adams Taylor final, don't know if its possible but it's very unlikely anyway

"The two times world champion don't crumble"

Yes you do crumble Ady, thats why you haven't won a major since

• Advertisement

Just have to love Adams a true professional talk about enjoying himself not playing bad either.

Crowd getting behind him fair play to them.

To think we all thought Martin would be sent home early because he wouldn't handle the crowd, he's bloody singing with the crowd while throwing some brilliant darts. Great to see

Doubles are costing him at the moment.

Not much in it, needs a break this mini session though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

That 92 finish was glorious.

Great game nothing in it.
    Adams has been the highlight of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Really enjoyed that match, Adams really enjoyed himself up there. I've huge respect from him after this, true professional. Some player's could learn a thing from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Anyone tell me who had most 180s in lewis match and Adams match?...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah I always like watching Adams, I'm glad he played well and enjoyed himself.

I thought what the lads said about rejigging the entry format into the Grandslam to be interesting. The BDO ranking system should count for something as well, it was ridiculous that their current no 1 Glen Durrant wasn't playing this week.

Gotya wrote:
    Anyone tell me who had most 180s in lewis match and Adams match?...

Hubrechts and Lewis im nearly sure. Check out the dartsdata website to be sure.

In a way, it feels like the tournament is over or something. The exciting element of it is gone once BDO players are gone. Back to the same old ding dong tomorrow. Lets hope we can see a new major winner, Smith or possibly Kim, but I can't see past MvG.

• Advertisement

Fantastic match to finish and Wolfie gave it a hell of a go.
    He really has been a credit to darts this week.

The standard tonight was through the roof, possibly the highest I've ever seen.

104.59 vs 99.82
    109.18 vs 99.56
    104.71 vs 101.36
    100.87 vs 98.47

That is crazy stuff when a 98.47 average is the worst of the 8 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

mdwexford wrote: »
    Fantastic match to finish and Wolfie gave it a hell of a go.
    He really has been a credit to darts this week.

The standard tonight was through the roof, possibly the highest I've ever seen.

104.59 vs 99.82
    109.18 vs 99.56
    104.71 vs 101.36
    100.87 vs 98.47

That is crazy stuff when a 98.47 average is the worst of the 8 players.

Yes he is a credit to the game even Devastator would agree I hope.

mdwexford wrote:
    104.59 vs 99.82 109.18 vs 99.56 104.71 vs 101.36 100.87 vs 98.47

And most of those games went over 16 or 17 legs. It's only a few years away and we will be seeing 120 averages on a regular basis.

And most of those games went over 16 or 17 legs. It's only a few years away and we will be seeing 120 averages on a regular basis.

I have to disagree with you there, the standard is high but with the style of throw with alot of player's I can't see them hitting 10-13 darts each leg, a couple of missed doubles and the average drops quickly.

Taylor probably had the most steady stance and throw, players like Lewis mvg chisnell have certain ticks or jerks in there movement of the throw that means some missed darts.

jamesbere wrote:
    I have to disagree with you there, the standard is high but with the style of throw with alot of player's I can't see them hitting 10-13 darts each leg, a couple of missed doubles and the average drops quickly.

jamesbere wrote:
    Taylor probably had the most steady stance and throw, players like Lewis mvg chisnell have certain ticks or jerks in there movement of the throw that means some missed darts.

Think back to ten years ago and no one would believe you that the standard we have now was possible. Only Taylor could do it regularly back then. MvG has the highest ever televised average (debatable)
    A 15 dart leg will be lucky to win these days, I think in 10 years almost every leg will be won in 12 by the top players.
    MvG, Lewis, and Chizzy and Ando are the biggest 180 hitters in the game?

Sorry, I could have mis read that. You think they cant hit doubles as often. We are seeing more ton plus checkouts every tournament too, especially from the 3 players you mentioned. You nearly expect a top player to take out anything less than 130 now.

Think back to ten years ago and no one would believe you that the standard we have now was possible. Only Taylor could do it regularly back then. MvG has the highest ever televised average (debatable)
    A 15 dart leg will be lucky to win these days, I think in 10 years almost every leg will be won in 12 by the top players.
    MvG, Lewis, and Chizzy and Ando are the biggest 180 hitters in the game?
    Sorry, I could have mis read that. You think they cant hit doubles as often. We are seeing more ton plus checkouts every tournament too, especially from the 3 players you mentioned. You nearly expect a top player to take out anything less than 130 now.

I'm talking about style of throw more then the ability of the above player's, you and I both know how unreal the mentioned player's are but the level your expecting player's to be hitting in the near future is going to be very dependant on a player with a solid throw, grip and stance.

Take Adrian Lewis, great player but his throw is not without it's flaws, there's a lot of movement in his grip on the way back of his throw, a minor deviation in grip and the dart when released will not fly as pure has he would hope and either land above or below the target. It's lovely to watch but the older he gets the muscle's get that bit weaker and you'll find him pushing the dart more and losing that natural touch he has.

MVG has a nice grip, lovely fluid throw but his stance is a problem, he leans a way forward and down, meaning he is working a lot of muscle groups just to keep that stance in the same perfect position on each visit to the board.

Now Phil Taylor's throw is a way more mechanical, solid stance, no mess grip and a steady but consistant throw of the dart. It's very dependable hence why he's still at the top.

There's probably no perfect way to throw, but certain style's take a lot more practice and if not constantly worked on then a drop in standard will occur.
    Darts is a precision sport so trying to hit the 120 average mark which you predict will need player's with a really solid throw plus excellant concentration levels because there's not much room error if a player wishes to throw darts at such a high level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

hate to say it but im a converted wolfie fan, pity hes gone now, its just another tournament

top 16 v 16 bdo pdc for next year be great
    the reason the grandslam is interesting is because of the mix

i wonder whats odds on wolfie playing in premier league next year while still been a bdo player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

"Steve said to me after the game, Michael you're really good. This makes me happy"

Ha, you'd think MvG is shocked that someone told him he was good

lol his interview was good. I seen Beaton talk to him as soon as the double hit, it loked more than the standard handshake & "well done". Its good that MVG still recognises when someone as experiences as Steve says something like that to him.

How good was MVG last night? :eek: Leg on leg it was nearly perfect. Beaton played v.well and every time he left himself on or close to a double MVG checked out. I think the 2 legs Beaton won MVG actually missed a double for him to get it.
    Nib wrote: »
    Why doesn't the referee stand to the players' left? It would avoid all this ducking and diving whenever the referee needs to check a dart.

Great point, I've wondered that for a while. I can only presume for its because of tv cameras. There are usually 2 cameras that film through a split in that side of the stage and sky film from the side of players throwing.
    Yeah I always like watching Adams, I'm glad he played well and enjoyed himself.

I thought what the lads said about rejigging the entry format into the Grandslam to be interesting. The BDO ranking system should count for something as well, it was ridiculous that their current no 1 Glen Durrant wasn't playing this week.

I wouldn't say interesting I would say fairly obvious. Take Wolfie out of the GSOD this week and the standard of the BDO lads was pretty awful. Durrant, O'Shea, Waites and plenty of other lads would have been better additions to the tournament than Harry Potter. The BDO have better players than what was on show(as a collective) this week.

Another great night of darts. I'm still in shock that Smith battered Chizzy on 180s(9-3?), ruined my bet for the night and it wasn't even a close contest! MVG as above was awesome IMO against a very good Beaton. Wright/Lewis some good darts but Ady involved in yet more handbags on the stage(seems like it was only yesterday I was talking about him!)....although I would rather see no handshakes on stage than the lovein hugs between Lewis/Wright lol. Huybrechts/Wolfie was a good close game, some very solid darts & attitude from Kim when he was behind. I think that game, with the crowd, and the whole hype will do Kim a world of good for the future but he's coming up against a near impossible task in the next round lol
    Friday November 13 (7pm-10pm)
    Quarter-Finals
    Mark Webster v Raymond van Barneveld
    Robert Thornton v Phil Taylor

Saturday November 14 (7pm-10pm)
    Quarter-Finals
    Michael Smith v Adrian Lewis
    Michael van Gerwen v Kim Huybrechts

best of 31

:mad: FS sky, these games should be on 1 night, semis on Saturday & final on Sunday :mad: I'm going to miss tomorrow nights which looks the far better of the 1/4s

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote:
    FS sky, these games should be on 1 night, semis on Saturday & final on Sunday I'm going to miss tomorrow nights which looks the far better of the 1/4s

Ya its a pity. Tonight definitely doesn't excite me. I fancy Thornton and Webster to go through.

Saturday though, that treble 20 is going to get battered! :-P

Can't understand this schedule, why have both the semis and final in the same day, it's often an advantage to the player that plays in the first semi to get some rest before the final. I think it would make for better quality game if the final was on its own day.

Advertisement