Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Slam

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Ya its a pity. Tonight definitely doesn't excite me. I fancy Thornton and Webster to go through.

Saturday though, that treble 20 is going to get battered! :-P

Can't understand this schedule, why have both the semis and final in the same day, it's often an advantage to the player that plays in the first semi to get some rest before the final. I think it would make for better quality game if the final was on its own day.

I think they're doing an afternoon & evening session so they can get their arm in for tickets prices. Both players will get some rest but I agree if final was on its own it would probably make for a better match.

I'm going to a gig/awards thing tomorrow night and there isn't even a late night/early morning replay!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I much prefer the final having its own day but they can't have 4 best of 31 legs in the same night.

If they are all tight it could take 6-7 hours.

Starting the whole tournament one day earlier would be the way to go imo.

mdwexford wrote: »
    I much prefer the final having its own day but they can't have 4 best of 31 legs in the same night.

If they are all tight it could take 6-7 hours.

Starting the whole tournament one day earlier would be the way to go imo.

Of course they could, cut down to 2 advert breaks per game(after 7 &14 legs to make sure they get their 2 in) & cut out a load of the sky BS. At least 15 mins is wasted at the start with highlights(?) of the previous night, Mardle/Bristow,Part,Harrington on giving their sit on the fence predictions or sky bet odds. Inbetween game could cut out the repeated interviews(How many times did we have the Fordham hates Taylor interview this week?, usually whenever either played). Thats just a few ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

"The two times world champion don't crumble"

Yes you do crumble Ady, thats why you haven't won a major since

He won the UK Open in 2014 didn't he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Did he? He won the European championship in 2013 I know but don't think its a major? To me these 2 day tournaments cannot be considered majors

Edit: He did win the uk open, I'd forgotten about it. Not to start this argument again, but I don't really think thats a major tournament even though the PDC probably say it is, much like the European Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Devastator wrote: »
    Of course they could, cut down to 2 advert breaks per game(after 7 &14 legs to make sure they get their 2 in) & cut out a load of the sky BS. At least 15 mins is wasted at the start with highlights(?) of the previous night, Mardle/Bristow,Part,Harrington on giving their sit on the fence predictions or sky bet odds. Inbetween game could cut out the repeated interviews(How many times did we have the Fordham hates Taylor interview this week?, usually whenever either played). Thats just a few ways.

Why would Sky agree to cut ads. It's how they make money. Never going to happen.

I enjoy the build up and the lads discussing it, certainly wouldn't want that cut.

There's only two quarters a night at the worlds as well. Games are too long to have 4 a night.

mdwexford wrote:
    Why would Sky agree to cut ads. It's how they make money. Never going to happen.

mdwexford wrote:
    I enjoy the build up and the lads discussing it, certainly wouldn't want that cut.

mdwexford wrote:
    There's only two quarters a night at the worlds as well. Games are too long to have 4 a night.

I like a quik 5 or 10 minute preview of whats to come alright but there is alot of time wasted showing clips of the previous nights and loads of little clips before every game of players pulling shapes. Also, theres at least a half an hour to spare at the the end of each night where they show us half a match we had just seen an hour previously. This happens even when most games go the distance. I think they could easily squeeze in one more game per night, best of 19 legs would never be more than 50 minutes surley?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They've reduced the length of the first round night sessions at the Worlds from 5 games to 4 games - it was common for the last game to be played in an empty auditorium. People have to get home so you have to finish at a reasonable hour especially in a country where you can't get a taxi easily.

This round of the slam is best of 31, no way could you comfortably get four such games in in one evening.

mdwexford wrote: »

I thought they made their money by stroking punters for about a ton every month?!?! lol

I think a quick 2 minute introduction and run through the nights games is enough. Its not like any of them have anything that insightful to say at the start of the night anyway.

The last 2 nights the matches(with all the BS filler) have ended about 10:30. Another way to save 5mins+ per game is to put the interview on a little floating box(bottom corner) during the start of the next match, means we can listen to the interview while still watching the next game and don't have to hear the commentators for a few extra minutes :D

This round of the slam is best of 31, no way could you comfortably get four such games in in one evening.

No way would you get 4 games in now, but maybe 2 extra group games per night when a game on lasts 10 or 12 mins?

I doubt they'll change anything anyway to suit a few of us whinging ha but it would be nice to see the final have its own day like the worlds and matchplay

• Advertisement

Devastator wrote:
    I thought they made their money by stroking punters for about a ton every month?!?! lol

Spot on there.

Spot on there.

Its actually a huge con(charging people then having adverts.....so...sooooooo many adverts). If I were a customer I would feel like writing a harshly worded letter to them but I've never gave them a single penny :D

All of these players tonight for their own reason or another(or how many for Barney lol) means these games could go either way, all the way or clear potential clear winners. I think could see a few tasty checkouts so I've went Webby & Thornton for 120+ checkouts for my bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Anyone else ever notice the resemblence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Websters balance is awful, keeps throwing himself on the last dart. Seems to get worse the longer the game is going on

gramar wrote: »

This is my dart, there are many like it but this one is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Crap..another round with rvb..good to see Webby performing to a decent level again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Fek it my skybox decided to have a malfunction after missing everything up to now.

jamesbere wrote:
    Websters balance is awful, keeps throwing himself on the last dart. Seems to get worse the longer the game is going on

I think he was riddled with dartitus for a while, it still seems to show at times he release the dart way too late.

What a performance from Taylor, Haven't seen him hit doubles like that in a long time, great to see.

Now I'm thinking it's between him and MvG. Would be a cracking final, I don't think they've met in one for a while now.

gramar wrote: »

I hope he keeps his private piles quiet and doesn't use them as an excuse! :eek:

Taylor's checkouts were unbelievable last night! 5 ton+ outs in 1 game when he only threw like 3 during the whole of the last PL season. If he can keep up anything near that type of standard he'll do well over next few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

MVG on fire and looking to embarrass Kim here.
    Absolutely smashing him

Very quite on here to night after one of the best performances ever. MvG is just too good. Never seen a player to play at such a high level in every single leg.

Saying that, I think Smith will beat him tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

What can u say ..after 5 legs mvg was averaging 122 or something... Unreal..unstoppable.. Hope he continues

On this form I don't think anyone in the world could stop MVG. I think Smith will have a tough day.

Totally agree looks to me to be mvg v Taylor in final as barney will just collapse against Phil as always.

Mvg just looks too good no one can touch him this week

Mvg not hitting his usual heights but still looking comfortable.

What a checkout on this form Mvg is unstoppable Smith didn't play bad be great experience for him.

First time I have noticed barney wearing earplugs must be new for him.

crasy dash wrote: »
    First time I have noticed barney wearing earplugs must be new for him.

Yeah I've never seen that either. Not exactly helping his darts but he's still in it. Taught Taylor was pulling away but he's gone off the boil. Neither would beat mvg in this form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Taylor won't lose this from here. Taylor Vs MVG will be more of a final than if Barney was in it, because i think Barney would just fade.

But the way MVG has been playing in this tournament, especially in the KO rounds, nobody could stop him.

Advertisement