Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train from Bagenalstown to Carlow

Options
  • 02-11-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

My daughter is starting St Leo's ne,t year and have been looking at ways to get her to school.
    Does anyone know the cost of the train from Bagenalstown to Carlow on as daily basis per month?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

My daughter is starting St Leo's ne,t year and have been looking at ways to get her to school.
    Does anyone know the cost of the train from Bagenalstown to Carlow on as daily basis per month?

This version is the November 1st/December 1st 2014 fare revision

Station From: Muine Bheag
    Station To: Carlow

Adult Child Student Family
    Single €5.85 €2.50 €5.20
    Open Return €10.75 €5.00 €7.00 €25.50
    Day Return €8.85 €4.00 €16.50
    Weekly €34.50 €29.00
    Monthly €119.00 €86.50
    Annual €1,190.00

This is the current fares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If you can get the child out to the royal oak every morning Kavanagh's run buses. Cheaper than the train too at €4 one way for a student. Timetables are below.

http://jjkavanagh.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Route-Carlow-Bagenalstown-Kilkenny-Service.pdf
    http://jjkavanagh.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Waterford-Dublin-Airport.pdf

Kavanagh's have no services that are timed to deliver a child to St Leos. the only buses at that time get to the coach park at 7.35am and 9.45am. the best option is the train and there is one that gets to Carlow at 8.57am but first classes start at 9am afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Kavanagh's have no services that are timed to deliver a child to St Leos. the only buses at that time get to the coach park at 7.35am and 9.45am. the best option is the train and there is one that gets to Carlow at 8.57am but first classes start at 9am afaik.

Early morning do a child the world of good. Fresh air and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There may be other students from Bagenalstown going there so ask the school to find out how they travel. You may even be able to avail of a car-share.

• Advertisement

there is a Bus Eireann bus at 7.50am from the Royal Oak slip road that gets to the coach park in Carlow for 8.10am. The return bus leaves Carlow at

A child ten journey is €19.70 and valid from Monday to the following Sunday.

ten journey student ticket is €29.

Fares for Route 4
    To: Carlow (Barrack St)
    Service: 4
    Ticket Type:
    Ticket Type Full Fare
    Adult Single €4.10
    Student Single €3.90
    Child Single €2.40
    Adult Day Return €7.60
    Child Day Return €4.60
    Adult Return €7.60
    Student Return €6.80
    Child Return €4.60
    Adult 10 Journey €34.80
    Student 10 Journey €29.00
    Child 10 Journey €19.70

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

€86 for the train monthly is a lot! As for any of the bus options, there's no way I would feel comfortable with a 12 yr old arriving 1.5 hours early for school and roaming the town from 7.35am.
    Looks like driving and then maybe finding a parent to share with is my only option.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    there is a Bus Eireann bus at 7.50am from the Royal Oak slip road that gets to the coach park in Carlow for 8.10am. The return bus leaves Carlow at

A child ten journey is €19.70 and valid from Monday to the following Sunday.

ten journey student ticket is €29.

Fares for Route 4
    To: Carlow (Barrack St)
    Service: 4
    Ticket Type:
    Ticket Type Full Fare
    Adult Single €4.10
    Student Single €3.90
    Child Single €2.40
    Adult Day Return €7.60
    Child Day Return €4.60
    Adult Return €7.60
    Student Return €6.80
    Child Return €4.60
    Adult 10 Journey €34.80
    Student 10 Journey €29.00
    Child 10 Journey €19.70

This could be an option possibly in the spring and summer months, there'd be no issue getting her to the royal oak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

€86 for the train monthly is a lot! As for any of the bus options, there's no way I would feel comfortable with a 12 yr old arriving 1.5 hours early for school and roaming the town from 7.35am.
    Looks like driving and then maybe finding a parent to share with is my only option.
    Its cheaper than you driving her in and out every day until you find a car-share.
    Bagenalstown-Carlow is 20km. So for an average diesel car @50mpg (5.6l/100km) a one-way trip requires 1.12l diesel or 4.48l per school day. Even at current relatively low fuel prices that would cost you well over €5 per day (€100 per month) in fuel alone. The same trip in a petrol car is likely to cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Why leave Bagnalstown . My daughters went to Leo,s and did very well both there and after but my Nephew went to Bagnalstown and did equally as well . Pulling people out of their local environment is not a good idea when you count travel time and missing out on extra after hours activity's and the disruption that causes . Both schools are very good and problems will be encountered in both of them . .

• Advertisement

This could be an option possibly in the spring and summer months, there'd be no issue getting her to the royal oak.

If she gets the bus it will leave her in Carlow bus park at 8.10am with a good half mile walk to the school which will be open for her to go in from about 8am.

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    Why leave Bagnalstown . My daughters went to Leo,s and did very well both there and after but my Nephew went to Bagnalstown and did equally as well . Pulling people out of their local environment is not a good idea when you count travel time and missing out on extra after hours activity's and the disruption that causes . Both schools are very good and problems will be encountered in both of them . .
    Because after going to all the open nights in local and further afield schools, she picked Leo's. She has friends in older years in Leos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Calbus do a service from Bagenalstown to Carlow schools, they're on Facebook calbuscarlow I can't post a link 'cos I'm a new user

Calbus
    7 September ·

Bagenalstown + Leighlinbridge to Carlow Schools Daily!

• Carlow IT
    • Presentation College Carlow
    • St. Leo’s College
    • Knockbeg College
    • Carlow Vocational School
    • Gaelcholáiste
    • St. Mary’s CBS

PRICES:

Single €3.50

Same day return €5.00

Weekly Concession* €20 (€22 to Knockbeg)

Morning / evening only concession* €15

Family concessions* available (1st child full price, each additional child ½ price)

*Concessions are non-transferrable and non-refundable.

Pick Up Locations and Times:

• Royal Oak 07.53 (Royal Oak Stores)

• Rathellen 08.04 (Turn off for L7143)

• Bagenalstown 08.00 (Up from Fire Station)

• Leighlinbridge 08:10 (Church Carpark)

Daily shuttle Carlow Town to Knockbeg €10 per week

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Calbus do a service from Bagenalstown to Carlow schools, they're on Facebook calbuscarlow I can't post a link 'cos I'm a new user

Calbus
    7 September ·

• Carlow IT
    • St. Leo’s College
    • Knockbeg College
    • Gaelcholáiste
    • St. Mary’s CBS

PRICES:

Single €3.50

Same day return €5.00

Family concessions* available (1st child full price, each additional child ½ price)

https://www.facebook.com/calbuscarlow/

Calbus
    7 September ·

• Carlow IT
    • St. Leo’s College
    • Knockbeg College
    • Gaelcholáiste
    • St. Mary’s CBS

PRICES:

Single €3.50

Same day return €5.00

Excellent, thanks for posting the info. Definitely a runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Excellent, thanks for posting the info. Definitely a runner!

I am confused.
    €20 per week for a bus is definately a runner but €86 per month for the train (which would cover weekends too) is expensive.

She could get a €4 day return on the train every day for the same €20 a week. And there may be some days where she does not need to go on the train.
    (For whatever reasons... gets a lift, bank holiday, teacher strikes, teacher meeting etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Hi Betty, Brian Callinan here from Calbus. I drive the bus every day. We have about 10 girls going to, and returing from Leo's every day from Royal Oak, Bagenalstown and Leighlinbridge. Any questions don't hesitate to ask or PM if it's against forum rules. Thanks!

Advertisement