Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yu-Gi-Oh cards - where should Santa start?

Options
  • 02-11-2015 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

My 9 year old is talking about asking Santa for some Yu-Gi-Oh cards to add to his collection of about 50, given that Santa knows nothing about Yu-Gi-Oh where should he start? And please keep it simple as Santa only has a limited amount of space in his ageing brain when it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh cards ;)

I have looked on eBay and Amazon and now my head hurts! A pack of about 50 cards with some decent "rare" or "special" cards seems to fit the bill, but I'm lost, so please help Santa :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Does your 9 year old play the game or is he just collecting the cards cause he likes Yu Gi Oh?

If he's just collecting then you can't really go wrong with a few Starting decks to increase the Volume of cards he has.

If he plays.
    Find out what sort of Deck he likes to use. Most players have a Theme that runs through a deck.
    Dragon, Robots, a particular Elemental force, A monster type that they like. There's a few dozen types and figuring them out would make your head hurt even more. But a quick chat with the Kid should clear up what he's after.

If he has a theme then try to get him cards of that theme to help make his deck better.
    Or he may just want particular cards based on their use in the TV show.

You can get individual cards online. But if you are Dublin based I would suggest a call into Gamers world on Jervis Street.
    They have folders of the cards in stock and you can mix and match what you purchase.
    https://www.facebook.com/gamersworlddublin05/?fref=ts

They also do Deliveries if you can't make it to Dublin.
    worth a call or a facebook PM about the subject.
    (01) 804 4540

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

MarkHall wrote: »
    Does your 9 year old play the game or is he just collecting the cards cause he likes Yu Gi Oh?

If he's just collecting then you can't really go wrong with a few Starting decks to increase the Volume of cards he has.

If he plays.
    Find out what sort of Deck he likes to use. Most players have a Theme that runs through a deck.
    Dragon, Robots, a particular Elemental force, A monster type that they like. There's a few dozen types and figuring them out would make your head hurt even more. But a quick chat with the Kid should clear up what he's after.

If he has a theme then try to get him cards of that theme to help make his deck better.
    Or he may just want particular cards based on their use in the TV show.

You can get individual cards online. But if you are Dublin based I would suggest a call into Gamers world on Jervis Street.
    They have folders of the cards in stock and you can mix and match what you purchase.
    https://www.facebook.com/gamersworlddublin05/?fref=ts

They also do Deliveries if you can't make it to Dublin.
    worth a call or a facebook PM about the subject.
    (01) 804 4540

Fantastic, many thanks for your advice. The cards he has seem to travel everywhere with him so I'll try to figure out whats appropriate and then pop into Gamers World on Jervis St. Thanks for taking the time to reply, its very much appreciated, the world of Yu Gi Oh is way more complicated than I ever imagined!

No Problem.

The Card Games can be very daunting even to a regular Gamer.
    Sounds more like he hordes than plays if the cards go every where with him.
    So you might be best to get him Quantity over Quality on the card front.

You might also consider something like this.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yu-Gi-Oh-YGO-Millenium-Puzzle-YuGiOh-Yugi-Millennium-Cosplay-Pendant-/191566797978
    May be something the 9 yo would dig.

MarkHall wrote: »
    No Problem.

The Card Games can be very daunting even to a regular Gamer.
    Sounds more like he hordes than plays if the cards go every where with him.
    So you might be best to get him Quantity over Quality on the card front.

You might also consider something like this.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yu-Gi-Oh-YGO-Millenium-Puzzle-YuGiOh-Yugi-Millennium-Cosplay-Pendant-/191566797978
    May be something the 9 yo would dig.

I think you're right, had chat about Yu Gi Oh last night and the intricacies of the game seem to a bit vague to him, all about attack and defence points and activating monsters, but when asked why and what happens questions he wasn't sure. The puzzle looks good, I'll add it to the list, also found these in Argos, seems to have about 55 cards and gets good reviews:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3904880/Trail/searchtext%3EYU+GI+OH.htm

Thanks again, you've saved me from many headaches :D

That would seem a good call.

If he wants to pursue the game as a hobby there's some handy vids on Youtube for understanding it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mN7TNtVkto

And the Gamers world crowd are fairly good for demoing games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 makehimanoffer

Hi,
    I would highly recommend the collectors editions packs from Argos. they come with a booster pack and special card and 3 more boosters, and for the price they're really good.

Also, if you wanted maybe go for one collectors edition thing and then maybe a collectors tin which is a special card, and 5 boosters and a tin for holding the cards.
    HOWEVER I would say that these two options aren't great in terms of helping him make a deck to play with. the best options for that are to get maybe a starter deck(which is meant for beginners and includes alot of staple cards as well as very useful cards) and maybe 1-3 of the same structure deck ( a structure deck is a deck of 40 cards which contains various useful cards for the purposes of creating a deck of a specific archetype, eg you might get a samurai structure deck, this would include many if not all of the cards need to create a deck of samurais which would work well together. ) usually with structure decks you'd need 2-3 of the same type to make a decent deck using the cards from them (as structure decks will often only contain one of each card when you'll probably need more than one to use them effectively).

So depending on his preference(the tin and collectors editions options in argos are good for people who just like cards, while the starter deck and -multiple- structure decks are good for people who are going to make a deck of cards to play against people).
    There are many structure decks out there.

Also, if you're getting starter/structure decks, you're better off finding out which ones to get (ask him who his favourite character is and try to get their starter deck) and then choose a structure deck, and then get them on ebay. it's the best pricewise.

At the moment I'd consider that the best way to do it.

Also, I'm not sure if you've got video game consoles or anything like that but theres a FREE version of yugioh called DEVPro you can install on your computer which allows you to make decks using whatever cards you want, follows the official banlist and also instigates the rules of the game upon the cards as they are. This might be a good way to learn.

Also there is Legacy of the Duelist on PS4 and so which is playing against the cartoon characters ai with special decks and also instigates the rules of the game. These can both help to teach him how to play.

Hi,
    I would highly recommend the collectors editions packs from Argos. they come with a booster pack and special card and 3 more boosters, and for the price they're really good.

Also, if you wanted maybe go for one collectors edition thing and then maybe a collectors tin which is a special card, and 5 boosters and a tin for holding the cards.
    HOWEVER I would say that these two options aren't great in terms of helping him make a deck to play with. the best options for that are to get maybe a starter deck(which is meant for beginners and includes alot of staple cards as well as very useful cards) and maybe 1-3 of the same structure deck ( a structure deck is a deck of 40 cards which contains various useful cards for the purposes of creating a deck of a specific archetype, eg you might get a samurai structure deck, this would include many if not all of the cards need to create a deck of samurais which would work well together. ) usually with structure decks you'd need 2-3 of the same type to make a decent deck using the cards from them (as structure decks will often only contain one of each card when you'll probably need more than one to use them effectively).

So depending on his preference(the tin and collectors editions options in argos are good for people who just like cards, while the starter deck and -multiple- structure decks are good for people who are going to make a deck of cards to play against people).
    There are many structure decks out there.

Also, if you're getting starter/structure decks, you're better off finding out which ones to get (ask him who his favourite character is and try to get their starter deck) and then choose a structure deck, and then get them on ebay. it's the best pricewise.

At the moment I'd consider that the best way to do it.

Also, I'm not sure if you've got video game consoles or anything like that but theres a FREE version of yugioh called DEVPro you can install on your computer which allows you to make decks using whatever cards you want, follows the official banlist and also instigates the rules of the game upon the cards as they are. This might be a good way to learn.

Also there is Legacy of the Duelist on PS4 and so which is playing against the cartoon characters ai with special decks and also instigates the rules of the game. These can both help to teach him how to play.

Now my head hurts even more!!

Seriously though, that does explain it nicely. I've got both the collectors edition pack and the tin from Argos so we'll see how it works out. I think its still a case of quantity and variety winning over specific decks, but now at least I can discuss it with him from a less uninformed position. I'm sure he'll want to buy more with Christmas money so I can now point him in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 makehimanoffer

Okay that's good.

Also, not sure how near or so you are to dublin, but gamers world does yugioh tournaments and things often enough, so you might be able to find people he can learn from and such.

Also kilkenny does yugioh stuff too in black kat games ( i think that's what it's called)

Advertisement