Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards - as good as it used to be?

• 02-11-2015 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

looking through old threads from about 2010-2011 and you see a lot of banned posters, messy grammar and people just being pure dicks to each other . all of these are seen at a much lesser extent nowadays it seems. cleaner, more sterilised. a lot of ''trolls'' have been weeded out.

I think the site has grown up a bit and changed, but for the better? is it as good as It used to be? ive only been on 3 years so im not familiar with the early days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Robsweezie wrote: »
    looking through old threads from about 2010-2011 and you see a lot of banned posters, messy grammar and people just being pure dicks to each other . all of these are seen at a much lesser extent nowadays it seems. cleaner, more sterilised. a lot of ''trolls'' have been weeded out.

I think the site has grown up a bit and changed, but for the better? is it as good as It used to be? ive only been on 3 years so im not familiar with the early days.

Prison Forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I remember when this whole site was just fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Tis a bit like me.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It all went downhill when Facekicker and Bubbles were banished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It's not as much fun as it used to be (especially AH), but people have been saying that since I can remember so y'know. Rose tinted specs a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Prison Forum?

AH actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Sure beats reading Irelands Own.....barely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

They dont make em like Trent anymore thats for sure.

*puffs pipe*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

...you see a lot of banned posters, messy grammar and people just being pure dicks to each other . all of these are seen at a much lesser extent nowadays it seems. cleaner, more sterilised. a lot of ''trolls'' have been weeded out...

You just proved it yourself. Of course it's better.

Edit. And there's so much more to it than AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It went downhill when people stopped talking about gibbing noobs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

There's a thread that's explicitly racist from around that time when Ireland lost to France with the infamous hand of God moment .Someone started a thread and called Thierry henry a n##)er and people thanked it.Absolutely disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

There's a thread that's explicitly racist from around that time when Ireland lost to France with the infamous hand of God moment .Someone started a thread and called Thierry henry a n##)er and people thanked it.Absolutely disgusting.

I think the same fella used to pick his nose too IIRC.

The poster, not Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

No new additions to the Legendary threads sticky in three years.

We are not as good as they used to be in the olden days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can't even blast yor ma with piss any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The same question pops up every few months. It's probably not as good as it used to be, or rather the layout really limits it, especially when you're used to other forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Isn't everything gone sterilised now? These days whatever you say there is someone waiting for the chance to get deeply offended over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Isn't everything gone sterilised now? These days whatever you say there is someone waiting for the chance to get deeply offended over it

How fcuking dare you! :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No no your wrong :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Used to be far funnier/fun,far more sniping on it these days, also a lot of the threads that get started and you might think to yourself this might be interesting get closed and you're left with such riveting threads as "I hate my toes"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I looked back at a post from 1999. Somebody said OMG and somebody else said DILDO. Or was it the other way around? They were ahead of the curve, ahead of the curve.

• Advertisement

How fcuking dare you! :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, he can fcuk right off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Got a lot worse!
    it's all too PC now and so many threads get locked and posters banned if they even fart in the general direction of another poster

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Yeah, he can fcuk right off.

The pwrick! :mad:

KilOit wrote: »
    Got a lot worse!
    it's all too PC now and so many threads get locked and posters banned if they even fart in the general direction of another poster

Cloud computing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

KilOit wrote: »
    Got a lot worse!

Back in the day boards was the preserve of nerds preening into 15" CRT monitors waiting for dial up networking to finish screeching so they could fire up Netscrape Navigator that took 4 hours to download. Twas almost like an an obscure underground subculture, if you tried to explain boards or USENET to a 'normal' person in 1999 they'd look at you funny.

There was far less scrutiny back then, nowadays you have whatsherface in the Dail banging on about people getting raped on the internet. Most people have at least 3 devices they can readily access boards on. If some girlie tops herself in the morning because she didn't like a post on boards.ie then you'll have Joe Duffy trying to direct the blame onto DeV

For the same experience now you'd probably have to go onto Tor-based forums or packet radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Of course it was better in the good old days, now feck off I have to empty my colostomy bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

The thunderdome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Page 1 of most threads can be interesting but jump to the last page and it's usually gone miles off topic and you're left with 2 posters going "again you failed to answer my question" and "wow, way to miss the point completely" etc.
    Tedious.

CPL 593H

We lost a lot of fun people with the close account option.

Although, most came back but it's never the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

furiousox wrote: »
    Page 1 of most threads can be interesting but jump to the last page and it's usually gone miles off topic and you're left with 2 posters going "again you failed to answer my question" and "wow, way to miss the point completely" etc.
    Tedious.

Deemed by the government.

Are you going to retract your claim "As soon as you crave out separate groups and give them extra special rights what you are actually doing is taking rights from another group" or back it up anytime soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Nothing on the internet is as good as it used to be

Nothing on the internet is as good as it used to be

Bebo is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

the safe cracking thread and the removing of the clampers clamps, funniest live as it happens thread ever, I broke F5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

This is what the charter looked like for the forum I moderate from 10 years ago, twas seemingly a simpler time but core rules are pretty similar to most forums now too.
    The rules such as we have them...

Thou shalt not be a muppet.
    Thou shalt not curse excessively or be nasty and offensive to people regularly.
    Thou shalt not have multiple registrations.
    Thou shalt not f*ck with other peoples mojo, dude.
    Thou shalt grow a thick skin or go back to AOL, this is the net and its rough-and-tumble sometimes.
    Thou shall be civil at all times or "bad things" will happen.

If you have any questions or want help on anything, please feel free to post on the Admin, Bugs or especially the FAQ section.

Enjoy www.boards.ie. Its what you make of it.

One thing in this forum the admins wont tolerate is blatant personal attacks on anyone. Enjoy your set of six!

Most of its still there, haven't changed it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

We lost a lot of fun people with the close account option.

Although, most came back but it's never the same.

When I'm drinking a bottle of something I always pour a bit out for my homies

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    When I'm drinking a bottle of something I always pour a bit out for my homies

Respect, peace!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That_Guy wrote: »
    It all went downhill when Facekicker and Bubbles were banished.

Didn't you know? I'm Bubbles :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

Link?

Grrrr. That kills it for me. What happened to good old alf garnet style spouting of the first rubbish that entered your head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ye feckin pack of noobs!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There's no playful trolls anymore, the majority now are just agenda driven and it just makes the place a bit depressing at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is what the charter looked like for my forum 10 years ago, twas seemingly a simpler time but core rules are pretty similar to most forums now too.

Most of its still there, haven't changed it yet.
    Thou shalt grow a thick skin or go back to AOL, this is the net and its rough-and-tumble sometimes.

There's one that seems to have disappeared entirely now from the net/real life in general.

As said above, nowadays between people actively looking to take offence and others looking for the latest campaign to crusade against on social media (and thus gain the approval/validation they crave from other such individuals) the only ones who need to grow a thick skin are those who don't fit with either of the above apparently.

There's no playful trolls anymore, the majority now are just agenda driven and it just makes the place a bit depressing at times

But judging by the 'lets all laugh at people with depression' thread, half of AH is depressed anyway! :pac:

But all the net gets old: people on IRC used to talk about all gathering in one chat room when the Gulf War began. The first. I didn't think IRC even existed. The energy and the bants moved to other social media and even they're stagnating.

The new boards? It's probably unplugged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

Back in the day AH was absolutely better. No endless whingefests about immigration and other social issues, people could joke without being inveterate assholes, less agenda-driven posters basically.

There's a reason that over time, mods of other forums took to saying "this isn't AH". Just a reflection of a wider problem, really.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The energy and the bants moved to other social media and even they're stagnating.

have you tried boards.co.uk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Too many bulsh1t threads in AH now, in my opinion. The likes of word association threads and crap like that. They used to get moved to The Cuckoos Nest, now they clutter the forum.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Too many bulsh1t threads in AH now, in my opinion. The likes of word association threads and crap like that. They used to get moved to The Cuckoos Nest, now they clutter the forum.

We can't even revive good threads because it's against the rules :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd say Boards has come a long way. It's still over moderated to f*ck but I still remember the days when you couldn't comment on any event hosted by MCD because they were so terrified of being sued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Links234 wrote: »
    Didn't you know? I'm Bubbles :)

Still waiting on my CD burner ya know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Menas wrote: »
    No new additions to the Legendary threads sticky in three years.

We are not as good as they used to be in the olden days.

The thread where Lenny allegedly walked in on his mother on her knees in front of his da.

Good times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement