Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youthreach Resource Person

Options
  • 02-11-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I wonder can anyone enlighten me on this position...I have being working in Youthreach for a year now covering a sick leave position. I have now been offered the job as resource person. Having gone from 36.70 per hour to €14 per hour I am obviously not happy!!
    I have 4 years experience in tutoring plus a level 8 degree. My colleagues doing the same work are still on 36.70 per hour until their are made take on the new resource person contracts in January. It's crazy really how the ETB's are making us do more hours for less money! Gone from 7.5 hours to 13.6 hours for less money! How can they get away with this. I don't know what to do...taking my diesel into account I am only on minimum wage. Should I stay or should I go!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I wonder can anyone enlighten me on this position...I have being working in Youthreach for a year now covering a sick leave position. I have now been offered the job as resource person. Having gone from 36.70 per hour to €14 per hour I am obviously not happy!!
    I have 4 years experience in tutoring plus a level 8 degree. My colleagues doing the same work are still on 36.70 per hour until their are made take on the new resource person contracts in January. It's crazy really how the ETB's are making us do more hours for less money! Gone from 7.5 hours to 13.6 hours for less money! How can they get away with this. I don't know what to do...taking my diesel into account I am only on minimum wage. Should I stay or should I go!!!!
    It's a terrible dilemma. Unfortunately it's the way the sector is going; I reckon in ten years or so there will be no teacher based contracts going in Youthreach or FE in general.

Is it worth staying in the sector at all, that's the question..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Yvonne Smith

Ye, exactly that is definitely a question I ask myself. Considering these young people are there because formal education did not work out for them for a number of reasons, the sector gets difficult kids that can wear you down over time. Certainly the previous good salary is an incentive but when you feel that the good work you do with them is not even recognised in your pay packet you start to look elsewhere. Studying for 4 years with 4 years experience... to go back to €14 per hour is a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

Its rotten and in some areas they are using the resource position for jobs with a tenuous connection to youthreach . Go to your TUI meetings and make a fuss. It wont become an issue until enough people complain. :)

Advertisement