Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Ops 3 could be great on PC

• 02-11-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭

Now with added mod tools, split screen, dedicated servers and a server browser. Is it time for PC gamers to go back to the COD franchise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

PC gamers have the pick of the litter when it comes to games, why would we waste time on something as mindless as CODBLOPS? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

PC gamers have the pick of the litter when it comes to games, why would we waste time on something as mindless as CODBLOPS?

Because it's mindless fun and a lot of ex console gamers who switched to PC gaming would love to see a good new COD game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Because it's mindless fun and a lot of ex console gamers who switched to PC gaming would love to see a good new COD game.

I played the beta and I could see very little difference from COD:AW. That hazy texture blur in the distance, bad optimisation with occasional stuttering, and a very familiar feeling to COD:AW. It doesn't matter that they have added mod support and server browser, it doesn't feel like a PC game. Its a console port and bad one at that from what I experienced.

The next COD game I will play will probably be when they decide to go back to WW2 and use a 'new' engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'm opened mindedvenough with CoD, haven't played them since mw2 I think, wasn't arsed with black ops or world at war etc but I'll see where this game goes.
    if Total biscuit gives it a seal of approval I'd probably go with it, generally in the same frame of mind to him when it comes to fps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nothing against the franchise and usually enjoy the single players when they're gotten cheap on the XB1 or 360, but I stopped playing them on the PC for MP with MW2. Some else hit it nail on the head when they said they won't be returning until WW2. I'm sick of the whole futuristic thing in any case; one of the reasons I loved the first Black Ops was the fact that it was set in the 60's. That truly was the last great COD game for me personally, I put it up there with MW2 (but not COD4, of course :D). I still think COD is a grand game and I can see why people love it but it's just not for me at the moment with the direction it's in.

Do miss the days of playing COD4 with all the boardsies, such a brilliant game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Played the Alpha also and found it to be so so.

20 quid max for it, the mods altho are interesting. Must be hiring :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

When they get a new engine it might be nice, there are still too many "Daves" with 360's and PS3's though, but this Christmas will likely tip that balance since this year's FIFA doesn't have all the features on the ancient tech.

I had a very brief look at the Blops 3 beta when it was open - I was very meh about it. I enjoyed AW cause it had some interesting movement like Titanfall, but there's no shortage of interesting shooters on PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

After seeing the news about the potential for mods and a map creator, I've decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and I've bought my first CoD since BLOPS2.
    I've always enjoyed the Treyarch games so I don't mind giving them my money. With the extra year they had to develop BLOPS3, I hope they try for something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Shiminay wrote: »
    When they get a new engine it might be nice, there are still too many "Daves" with 360's and PS3's though, but this Christmas will likely tip that balance since this year's FIFA doesn't have all the features on the ancient tech.

I had a very brief look at the Blops 3 beta when it was open - I was very meh about it. I enjoyed AW cause it had some interesting movement like Titanfall, but there's no shortage of interesting shooters on PC.
    Yup, there's still a lot of Daves around. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I normally disliked COD, I played and enjoyed modern warfare quite a lot but the franchise really became horrible with the repetition and I didn't like the community. I played the Beta for BLOPSIII and actually had some fun playing it but the poor optimisation was bad enough to stop me getting this game.

Part of me wants to actually get this game but only if they worked on it a little more and fixed the bloody mouse input. I will keep an eye on it but I don't expect the fixes needed to be done so chances are I will let this pass by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll wait for reviews. I enjoyed Advanced Warfare but online was a disaster at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I only dabbled after COD4, rest were just such a let down in comparison. So many good games to play now any new COD games will be very far down the list unless the critics scream their praise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Activision give no pc features = worst company ever
    Activition give loads of pc features = worst company ever :pac:

Seriously though, I won't buy it as I've no real interest in multiplayer shooters (bar maybe Battlefront), but it's good to see companies giving us these options.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Mouse input lag from beta still not fixed lol just lol

https://twitter.com/pcdev/status/662336434485915648

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am not really in to cod after MW2 binge, but I always liked Black ops series. Black ops 2 has some fantastic Single player campaign too.
    I think I will pick it up, but not on PC. Pc versions of it are just horrible.

Watched some streams last night, i fail to see how the PC version is horrible?
    Granted its a port but it looks better than any console version, plays better with a mouse and kb too.

Watching some of the csgo pro players playing it now on twitch http://www.twitch.tv/meclipse
    They are saying once you cap fps to monitor refresh rate mouse input it fine [same as beta].
    Commenting on it being solid in terms of performance/controls etc.

Mouse lag is ridiculous. Tried a few config changes but its only slightly more responsive.
    Enjoying the MP maps though but getting my arse handed to me because I'm so slow at aiming.

Did you try capping fps to monitors refresh rate? helped me in the beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

My game is downloading now, It's only to tide me over till Fallout comes and something to play for 10 mins here and there.
    I am completely over 'prestige' and weapons mods and customisation after the first Black Ops.
    I still have fond memories of COD4, but not of any since then (though I haven't played the Last 2 or 3 in fairness ) ...I just wanted an FPS to get into now and again.

Dcully wrote: »
    Did you try capping fps to monitors refresh rate? helped me in the beta.

Ya, tried all that. Struggling to reach 60fps which probably doesn't help matters.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed/enjoy still blops2 on PC,ill probably pick this up, watching AnderZel`s first play and it looks so like blops2 only more shiney.

This is my first CoD since BLOPS 2 so I'm only getting used to the double jumps and wall running craic now.
    After a few hours though, it's nearly second nature. The slide mechanic is pretty cool too, especially when you get a kill while doing it.

Kinda sorted my mouse lag issue by bumping a lot of gfx settings down to med. The closer I get to 60 FPS the better the controls feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Every time i tell myself that i wont buy a COD game, and then i stupidly cave and buy a COD game.

This time though its different, I have SCII next week and MGSV to play and Battlefront and Fallout 4 coming this month too. So this might be the first time i give it a miss.

Although judging from some reviews it might be warranted.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I'm generally one of the first to cringe when people talk about games not being "optimised" for the PC but jesus, when you're telling your customers stuff like this on the day of release you really need to take stock of the state of your engine and what you're willing to let through your QA process. :(

What does Jim Sterling do or know?

Decided to take a punt at it, downloading now but steam keeps stopping the download and i have to keep clicking resume, speeds are normal when it is downloading so its a strange one.

Dcully wrote: »
    Decided to take a punt at it, downloading now but steam keeps stopping the download and i have to keep clicking resume, speeds are normal when it is downloading so its a strange one.

I switch to Manchester when that happens.

This is me right about blops3

fence-sitter-23877800.jpg

gizmo wrote: »
    I'm generally one of the first to cringe when people talk about games not being "optimised" for the PC but jesus, when you're telling your customers stuff like this on the day of release you really need to take stock of the state of your engine and what you're willing to let through your QA process. :(

Exactly this. Not saying it's a bad as the Batman debacle, but you do just have to wonder how an earth these things get shipped in these conditions. I just don't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Exactly this. Not saying it's a bad as the Batman debacle, but you do just have to wonder how an earth these things get shipped in these conditions. I just don't understand.

Its just piss poor Q&A testing. I could understand some weird obscure combo of CPU, GPU and motherboard causing problems but I5's, the defacto go to chip for PC gaming having issues is just a joke.

Venom wrote: »
    Its just piss poor Q&A testing. I could understand some weird obscure combo of CPU, GPU and motherboard causing problems but I5's, the defacto go to chip for PC gaming having issues is just a joke.
    You're assuming they didn't catch it though. From reading a few comments it's not confined to just i5s, owners of 4690k, 4770K and 4790k i7 chips have reported having the issue too. Hell, owners of identical CPUs but different GPUs (and more than likely other components) are being hit.

I'd wager it was caught and didn't make it through triage for release. What's the worst that could happen, eh?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What does Jim Sterling do or know?

He's one of the most well known independent games critics out there. Formerly of Destructoid and The Escapist, he now works independently on www.thejimquisition.com.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how this fking CoD engine that is the most ancient thing in computer gaming, be so fking broken time after time - sounds like Ghosts all over again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Reading some forums and appears this game is an absolute mess on the PC

Tweaktown

"There are various issues being reported online about the game on the official Black Ops 3 forums, and the Steam Community forums. The issues range from rendering the game being impossible, it not booting up properly, and if users get to the main menu they can't select any options. There are a myriad of performance problems, with huge performance issues even on high-end hardware like GeForce GTX 980 Ti cards. CPU usage hits 100% even on decent processors, too.

Treyarch is telling gamers to play around with the .ini file for the game, where the studio notes that there are "very low frame rates" on "certain [Intel Core] i5 CPUs" and that it's working on a fix. The studio has also said that players should enable V-sync and setting the frame rate to something below the refresh rate on your monitor. But Activision (and Treyarch) these problems should not exist, not on a game with a $100 million+ budget, and not on a game where the graphics engine hasn't changed for more than a decade.

Get your crap together already - this should also apply to all other game developers. It's 2015, these issues shouldn't be happening on launch."

I want the good auld days of COD back :(

Get rid of this ****e futuristic crap

Headshot wrote: »
    Reading some forums and appears this game is an absolute mess on the PC

Tweaktown

"There are various issues being reported online about the game on the official Black Ops 3 forums, and the Steam Community forums. The issues range from rendering the game being impossible, it not booting up properly, and if users get to the main menu they can't select any options. There are a myriad of performance problems, with huge performance issues even on high-end hardware like GeForce GTX 980 Ti cards. CPU usage hits 100% even on decent processors, too.

Treyarch is telling gamers to play around with the .ini file for the game, where the studio notes that there are "very low frame rates" on "certain [Intel Core] i5 CPUs" and that it's working on a fix. The studio has also said that players should enable V-sync and setting the frame rate to something below the refresh rate on your monitor. But Activision (and Treyarch) these problems should not exist, not on a game with a $100 million+ budget, and not on a game where the graphics engine hasn't changed for more than a decade.

Get your crap together already - this should also apply to all other game developers. It's 2015, these issues shouldn't be happening on launch."
    I'd expect that comment from the Comments section on an article, not from a site like Tweaktown, jesus... :o

Anyway, the game appears to be ****ed. Get a refund. The only way companies will stop with this is if there's a mass drive towards customers demanding their money back for these kinds of shoddy products. Launch day issues are one thing but these appear to be fundamental issues with their tech that, in some cases, have been around since the beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The game works for me, graphics are find, no issues with startup etc...but....it's a crap game.
    There isn't even a server browser. Looks and feels like a console port again.
    I assume it's Treyarch doing this one, they really are the unwanted child of the pair....always letting you down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nothing against the franchise and usually enjoy the single players when they're gotten cheap on the XB1 or 360, but I stopped playing them on the PC for MP with MW2. Some else hit it nail on the head when they said they won't be returning until WW2. I'm sick of the whole futuristic thing in any case; one of the reasons I loved the first Black Ops was the fact that it was set in the 60's. That truly was the last great COD game for me personally, I put it up there with MW2 (but not COD4, of course :D). I still think COD is a grand game and I can see why people love it but it's just not for me at the moment with the direction it's in.

Do miss the days of playing COD4 with all the boardsies, such a brilliant game.

Feeling the same with COd, the futuristic stuff really isn't enjoyable for me. Preferred when the game was focused on current times or WW2.

I remember COD4 came out shortly after Halo 3 on the Xbox 360 ( might be mixing up times of release) but I stopped playing my PC for an entire year and did nothing buy play Halo 3 and COD4 with friends and stuff. Really amazing game.

I've been waiting and waiting for something like that to happen again for me on consoles but just isn't happening.

They cant release a game set/titled Modern Warfare without paying the 2 lads they sacked some monies.

hence 60s and futuristic settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The game works for me, graphics are find, no issues with startup etc...but....it's a crap game.
    There isn't even a server browser. Looks and feels like a console port again.
    I assume it's Treyarch doing this one, they really are the unwanted child of the pair....always letting you down.

Talking to a mate who picked this up over the weekend and he said pretty much the same thing. Graphics are ok but nothing to write home about and the story was just kinda meh. He noticed the odd slowdown in certain parts for a bit but nothing major.

The one thing he thought was "well weird" was the cinematics bits between missions were insanely laggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

dreamers75 wrote: »
    They cant release a game set/titled Modern Warfare without paying the 2 lads they sacked some monies.

hence 60s and futuristic settings.

Modern Warfare 3? Vince Zampella and something West were not at the studio when they made that?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just give me COD2 remake and all is forgiven.

• Advertisement

COD2 was fun but was the start of the road to huge hitboxes in the franchise.
    Before that we had COD and COD united offensive,both fantastic games that required real skill and the best in the series ever imo.
    Used to play on bolt action rifle only servers for hours on end.
    COD4 was also brilliant.

God I hate this game. The multiplayer, anyway. I did like the first Black Ops but I don't even know what this is....it's a million miles away from what COD used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

God I hate this game. The multiplayer, anyway. I did like the first Black Ops but I don't even know what this is....it's a million miles away from what COD used to be.

They need to try and innovate the series, cant always be the WW2 shooter as they have been done to death.

I have always maintained that COD should move away from the yearly rollout. The games are stagnant and usually only fun for a week/month max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Read some strong reviews for the game and am half tempted to pick it up. Although for PS4, no interest for PC. Just want something to ignite my console interest again

I picked it up and to my surprise im enjoying it,once you jump through a few hoops to sort out the mouse lag its a fun shooter.

So i told my son he would get owned going up against mouse and keyboard users if he was to play with his xbox pad on my PC.

I was so wrong,this type of gameplay is consistant from him :eek:.

Second vid is a quick clip of my modest skills :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

COD 1 to 5 were among the best and most popular games on pc, then they changed to console builds and dropped all the things that made it such a good franchise. Our community used to run 4 64player cod servers that were always full.

dedicated servers, browser, mods, custom maps etc were all dropped and you couldn't even tweak settings anymore, never mind getting multi monitor to work and they were surprised that pc gamers stopped liking COD?
    It took years for them to realise their mistakes and start adding them back in but unfortunately it still is now just a bad console port and just feels horrible to play, if you can even get it to work.

I love my consoles, but first person shooters play better with a mouse instead of a joypad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CeltS_Kavo

I got it it's not the best but it's playable it's a change from Battlefield for me, but I prefer Battlefield any day but you need to change games every now and then.. sooner the better they go back to the old stile COD not this jumping around stuff maybe a new WW2 one?

Advertisement