Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Progressing in work

Options
  • 02-11-2015 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've been in my job for a year now as a sales adviser and previously I worked in another retail store before this, so I have 2 and a half years of retail experience.

Don't get me wrong I have settled in really well to this place and love the people I work with but the one problem that has been getting me down is there seems to be no progression for me and a couple of other people. Some people who have been working here a little less time than myself are being offered promotions etc. where as us others have been left out. I always put in a 100% into my work but I feel sometimes this goes unnoticed and I get landed with the same old tasks e.g. the till. I've stood up and asked why but it just gets ignored or when management do listen I get one hour of doing something different.

I was thinking of leaving a few months ago but I wanted to stick it out as I always think it looks better on your cv if you've got a good year or 2 experience and I thought I was enjoying it here but now I'm kind of confused and I am not sure what to do. Do I stick it out, keep up my hard work and see what happens or is now the right time to look elsewhere.

Also the reason I am doubting, is my one friend who works with me is having the same problem and she ended up bursting into tears in front of our manager and doesn't know what to do either :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

What does the rest of your job history look like? Did you leave your last job after 1 year? Did you leave it after less than a year?

If your 2 and a half years of retail experience consists of one previous job for 1 year and a half then this job for 1 year it won't look too bad. It's not exactly going to make you look like a super-loyal employee but you won't look like too much of a job hopper either; you're retail floor staff, turnover is high in those positions.

If you have a string of previous jobs for a handful of months each that make up your other 1 and a half years of experience then leaving this place after just a year might look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you want to progress, look for something better. A year is solid enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

did you take a manager aside and ask them.
    be polite and tell them you are keen for advancement and ask their advice.

that said the only really decent pay rises I ever got was moving jobs and eventually setting up shop on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jesse1993

Thanks for the replies guys. I have tried to take my manager to one side but I normally get fobbed off or they forget when I ask to speak to them. However I have had a few days off and it got me thinking that the only way I am going to progress is if I move on to bigger and better things.

I have gained a lot of skills and experience here off my own back and whenever I have actually got to do something new, so I have added these all to my CV and in the new year I am going to start looking elsewhere. All the people that are being promoted do have a habit of showing off about it but that's there loss I would rather move on and grow rather than be stuck in a place that isn't going to change.

Advertisement