Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1992 Mini Cooper Bodywork

Options
  • 03-11-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, after a bit of a think I've decided this would be the best forum to post this in.

I have recently agreed to buy a Mini as a project car. I'm buying it from a friend of mine and plan to restore it with a different friend to it's former glory! All the mechanical work we plan to do ourselves as well as many other bolt on sort of jobs we can do. Neither of us have any bodywork experience or welding skills so we are planning to outsource that part of the project :p

What I'm hoping you folks will be able to help me with is a rough estimate on what the bodywork will cost, perhaps some of you have mini experiences :)

From what I have seen of the car so far it'll need;

Sills on both sides. I assume inner and outer.

Drivers door

Repairs to the scuttle

Battery tray and some repairs to the boot floor

I'm going to assume some other repairs to the floors too

Roof gutter on the passengers side

Any estimates on price would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Every panel on a Mini can rot...

The bill therefore could be veeeery long, so assume the worst.

A rough estimate? You are joking? There's not even any pics! A gazillion hours and € x per hour = €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Oh and they are like icebergs what you see isn't what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

macplaxton wrote: »
    Every panel on a Mini can rot...

The bill therefore could be veeeery long, so assume the worst.

A rough estimate? You are joking? There's not even any pics! A gazillion hours and € x per hour = €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

Oh and they are like icebergs what you see isn't what you get.

I appreciate that alright. About 3 years ago the car got new wings and A panels, lots of work done on the floor, new passengers side door and sills patched up.

I'm well aware that it'll be relatively expensive, that does't bother me. I honestly think that it won't need any more work than listed and the list I have given overstates the work needed based on what I've actually seen on the car in the interest of being conservative.

Z-TD2U6IwepDe6yECy3C5jI8gUMiywnw6sNf13jAkx0jsewIt93bm-8vQyH00eSCQlLeeg=w1256-h618

pmOs3quEnUfYaEOdbLDBUh2cHBwcbgjsj9IrQO89hq40lNQkfQHKa7qDGukQIsgPyz2m2w=w1256-h618

Vz92CQsUwR8apPlppFLi_YnFuBOdIjhHQzlpEVfLHEg8qxqfW0XVW8Uy55jL3szgf8KgNA=w1256-h618

l5MMKcqAGR3lTFKXP27fLQrirt4BjPlGhskzZiyhVojaMCBOZmHvC6uElOSO9yWsho5i4g=w1256-h618

26qZECUE2VNjdLMTXjUPdOkQ3sGqkyShlo4NSW43JglBAQEhpSO6nQ01YB4mfzfxJZtwPQ=w1256-h618

7_sXYObKXN32rld2cz-o8iNUw3b4wFqoTUuXlYQ9a_Y2Wvm8pjA09evrYYAzEZWhqoH7Pg=w1256-h618

7KrpQL3oXMaqQX8F7AWVjeZSRRqK3NTDY5sH5xBIxolL76GdPMzZx2Ut_MRbNX-9LrFhqg=w1256-h618

Hope those pictures work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Get in touch with Reactive Welding on 086 796 3372, Trevor learn't his trade as welder fabricator for woods and picket in the UK who used to make the coach built mini's
    http://margrave-mini.com/

He has done work on my minis and is doing a full restore on my Mini Clubman estate (pretty much a new front end, floors and the bottom 6" all around)
    Have a look on his facebook page too see some samples of his work https://www.facebook.com/reactivewelding?fref=ts
    He will look over the car and tell you what panels it needs and what he can fabricate then work out a price with you tell him Pete sent you he will look after you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I've heard good things about Reactive as well, nice to see a constructive reply...

There's a chap in Charvey industrial estate in Rathnew with a body shop who was highly recommended to me, obviously would have to produce the car/shell for an idea of cost, unfortunately I don't know what I've done with his info, but as it can't be far from you a quick look round would probably find him..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gholian

I had 2 grand to get panel beating and repaint on a small Fiat a few months ago. I done the welding myself, took me 5 months. It could cost anything for the welding as you don't know til it is all stripped how bad it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

peterk19 wrote: »
    Get in touch with Reactive Welding on 086 796 3372, Trevor learn't his trade as welder fabricator for woods and picket in the UK who used to make the coach built mini's
    http://margrave-mini.com/

He has done work on my minis and is doing a full restore on my Mini Clubman estate (pretty much a new front end, floors and the bottom 6" all around)
    Have a look on his facebook page too see some samples of his work https://www.facebook.com/reactivewelding?fref=ts
    He will look over the car and tell you what panels it needs and what he can fabricate then work out a price with you tell him Pete sent you he will look after you

Thanks for this tip, have a Mini to get sorted too and this is not too far from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

From the above facebook page:
    12088156_1643645695877785_4629829097681937807_n.jpg?oh=677c159f9930c6abe6faa6f96e1369d4&oe=56C7C175

Some serious distortion to be put right there. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

mb1725 wrote: »
    From the above facebook page:
    12088156_1643645695877785_4629829097681937807_n.jpg?oh=677c159f9930c6abe6faa6f96e1369d4&oe=56C7C175

Some serious distortion to be put right there. :eek:

Yea that's only after he sandblasted it I seen that van in the flesh he hasn't welded it yet he reckons there's 3 vans in one there

Advertisement