Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primavera 2016

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Any see / don't see from the Barcelona crew for the Porto crew? Anyone in Porto found a bearable night spot yet? Everything near Baixia is tiny, loud and smokey. I miss Bar Tequila from Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Toast wrote: »
    Any see / don't see from the Barcelona crew for the Porto crew? Anyone in Porto found a bearable night spot yet? Everything near Baixia is tiny, loud and smokey. I miss Bar Tequila from Barcelona.

Maybe not a typical night spot but I loved Catraio - Craft Beer Shop for my craft beer fix.

And must see, if you haven't, would be Titus Andronicus for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

C'mon give some reviews about the actual music guys, Bad Turtle you always give a good description of the music.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tame Impala were amazing. Power cut forced them off stage for about 15 mins, cutting their slot short.
    Brian Wilson was incredible, the band were fantastic. Was great seeing Al Jardine on stage as well as some of the other boys. Was in the pit for that so it was wonderful being so close.
    PJ Harvey was another really great performance.
    Battles were alright when they played the older stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Goat, John Carpenter, Radiohead, Savages, Deerhunter, Brian Wilson/Beach Boys and Beach House all amazing. Got dragged along to see Venom who were...interesting. As were Angel Witch in the Auditori. I'm sure more will come back to me. In airport on way back now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Anyone see Sigur Ros. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pjf2013

Sigur Ros were decent, sound was great for them unlike Radiohead even though I did finally enjoy them.

Saw so much but enjoyed these the mostL LCD Soundsystem, Moderat, Action Bronson, Tame Impala, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Kiasmos, The last shadow puppets, Air, Richard Hawley, Brian Wilson, Floating points, Helena Hauff, Mbongwana Star and the amazing John Carpenter.

As said above Brian Wilson was so enjoyable and maybe Action Bronson were the real stand outs. Moderat never fail

Super people and best one yet!!! Why we bother with irish festivals is still a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

• I don't like the Last Shadow Puppets at all but Alex Turner was freaking hilarious with his stage antics. He just wanted to fúck everything from bandmates to amps!
    • I thought LCD would be unreal and we left Tame Impala early to get into the pit and a good spot. While we were there this sound Liverpool offered us a dab of MDMA. I took a *tiny* bit and 5 minutes later I couldn't get my balance at all! I wasn't taht drunk or fúcked from the Molly but I just *could not* stand up straight, my back was leaning back and I was annoying everyone around me. It was like I was permanently limbo'ing or something! Eventually another English dude (loads of Brits there) said 'mate you gotta go, you just got to fúcking go' after bumping into him one too many times. I agreed and left with my brother.

Anyway, the songs just weren't delivering like I thought they would be. It was nearly the same setlist as Tripod and EP 2010 and I've listened to the live album and Coachella stream loads of times. Just kinda sick of them. They need new songs. I might give them a miss at EP2016 and not because I missed half the set. My back straightened up, the Molly was still good and Battles was great. Pity Hudson Mohawke couldn't make his flight but I still had fun dancing away like an idiot at his replacement, whoever it was.
    • Sound was really bad for Car Seat Headrest, not sure it was our spot close to the bars to escape the 7pm sun, the band itself, or the stage.
    • Roosevelt was my #1 must see and he didn't disappoint. I got a great front-centre spot. Sea was my highlight and my song of the festival. Exact live version of the song here if you wanna listen: https://youtu.be/cHPkZqZGLEQ?t=1774. Bliss. I pogod a bit too much and landed my left leg on the big yellow audio/video thing on ground that goes down the middle from stage to soundstage. Fúcked up my ankle and knee I think, getting old man!
    • Taxi system in Barcelona is a joke. Just not enough fúcking medallions. And they managed to stop Uber coming in. I hate Taxi cartels, let the free market reign. Our hotel was right beside venue and I passed the huge taxi-rank queue as I walked past at 5am, it was still nuts. We had to walk in the Wednesday night to Sala Apolo and missed Empress Of. Also had to walk home after not getting into Ty Segall/Avalanches Sunday night, that was depressing. It's not the tube strike, there still wasn't enough taxis when tube was running.
    • Avalanches were crap. Just a DJ set. Though it was class when they dropped 'A Different Feeling'
    • Sigur Ros were a very close second as top highlight after Roosevelt. We got into VIP and were yards from the front. Here's our view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiNtaPBqJrE. The stageshow with the cage at the start and lights was amazing. Staralfur was #2 for song of the festival. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrcrwbRxT-k. (That's not our video)
    • Brian Wilson was a great surprise, was going to see Richard Hawley instead but decided on Wilson as I'll get loads of chances for Hawley. Good decision, just the perfect timeslot, 8 to 9 when the sun is going down and the calm before the storm. Played all the hits, God Only Knows a highlight. Perfect set, everybody was beaming and spontaneously dancing in an idiot style! Check out a video here: twitter DOT com/SelinaWray/status/739373002714976256
    • Radiohead was meh. I'm not a fan of the latest album. I love OK Computer but think Kid A is one of the most overrated albums ever, so take from that what you will. Talk Show Host was great though. We went back to the Coke Stand loading up on Coke/Rums and spent the last bit of set sitting down just chatting to some friendly Swedes
    • Then we headed over for Animal Collective who were another meh. Again I don't like the new album. We left early for some food and then the gyrations of Last Shadow Puppets.
    • Beach House were magical. I loved them since Teen Dream but kept missing them live. I definitely want to see them in a standalone gig as my brother dragged me off early to get a good spot for the ****ty Avalanches DJ set. We then headed for the Beach Club for Tiger & Woods but just ended up at the bar chatting to Irish lads until the festival kicked us out at 6am. First time I've made it to the end!
    • Raging Freddie Gibbs cancelled, he was on my must-see list. He had a pretty good excuse in fairness.
    • PJ Harvey was great, good stage presence and makes the new album sound way better to me now, but that always happens when I see a band live.
    • Crowd definitely a bit more raucous, probably the influx of foreigners. Nuts the amount of Brits, you'd honestly think it was a British festival hearing accents late at night.
    • Again I saw practically none of the city. Might fly in earlier next time.
    • Hotel beside the venue is expensive but worth every penny. We were woken up in the mornings by Tame Impala and LCD soundchecks though, must get a room on other side next time.
    • They've improved food since two years ago but still not a patch on EP. Lobster Rolls weren't great but only €6. Our favourite was this beef skewer and rice place, I probably had 6 or 7 over the course of the festival.

Thank you for reading my novella!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Highlights for me:
    LCD - even better than they were before
    Pusha T - King Push.
    Avalanches - so much going on in each track they played. Nice hat tips to Bowie and Prince too.
    Brian Wilson, Julia Holter Daughter and a few others. Saw the first few songs of Sigur Ros and bailed to Julia Holter. Great show as ever from them but i've seen em a lot and JH was wonderful.

Radiohead were good in places - sound was good in places for it. Set list was good in places. Overall - not really suited to a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dublinkeith

YES Drive Like Jehu, Kamasi, Floating Points, Beach Slang, PJ
    NO Beach House, Sheer Mag

2017 tix on sale this Wednesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Fun review by georgiecasey above. Funnily enough I had a very similar experience at LCD having to retire from the fray half way through. Blamed me being out of sorts for finding LCD (who I love) underwhelming but have since read a couple of people who got the felt same. I couldn't accuse them of merely going through the motions but I did feel the set never caught fire.

My faves: Kamasi Washington, Richard Dawson, Radiohead, PJ Harvey, Floating Points. I do love the auditori shows, you're guaranteed a good view, sound and attentive audience.

Couldn't get into Car Seat Headrest, perhaps it was the low sound (also a problem at Heineken stage) or chatty crowd. Kicking off with a ten-minute number maybe didn't help. I only stayed for a couple of songs but don't see the fuss some are making about Roosevelt.

Busier than ever this year but crowds are on the whole respectful. Food and cleanliness much improved this year. So many Irish, was the bank holiday w/e a factor?

YES Floating Points
    NO Beach House

I found Beach House just a bit too depressing. Felt the same when I saw them there in 2009/2010.

Really enjoyed Floating Points but a lot of it reminded me of similar music.
    Looking forward to seeing him again this coming weekend at Body and Soul.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

nasty price hike on next years tickets. Finally realised how cheap they are in comparison

How much are they?

€145 "early bird"

http://www.primaverasound.es/noticiaSingle?id=1474

If anyone has any spare VIP codes, I would be most grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

does VIP let you skip the queue at sala apolo and BARTS on the Wednesday and Sunday night?

I believe so, also for Auditori shows.

I've never been VIP but am tempted for next year mainly for above and so I can get a good spot near the main stages. I disagree with them in principle but am beginning to think "if you can't beat them ...".

I had VIP for Saturday. Really is well worth it for the pit at the main stage. Got really close for Brian Wilson and PJ Harvey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Not sure if I can recommend Porto. The problem was the sound wasn't great at the main stages. It seemed to lack volume and I suspect this is part because of the residential area it is in and part because of the wind coming in from the sea. There seemed to be a lack of toilets close to the stages which meant it was necessary to head back to the food court to find some without a queue. The main stage toilet was VIP only. Bars were slow but you could work around it by staying away from the busier ones. Car Seat Headrest were great though in the covered pitchfork stage (which was the only one that got loud) as was Empress Of. I liked Porto the city but they need to turn up the volume on the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Tickets and hotel booked for next year Barcelona how I've missed you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement