Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Fitspo" - An Instagram Fitness Parasite?

• 03-11-2015 12:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

I'm DELIGHTED to see someone come out and expose this instagram bull**** we're now being consumed by.

Wanna know the real secret behind your fitspos amazing photos?

- They probably take at least 20 shots to get the right one

- A lot of photos are touched up and filtered to make them look better

- I bet they're training 2-3x per day every day

- They've an insanely bad relationship with food, their body and exercise

- They display non purging bulimic tendencies (used to describe individuals who compensate through dietary fasting or excessive exercising)

- Most of the value they get in life is from what YOU think of them

Is that the sort of person you want to look up to?

Or even worse... aspire to BECOME!?

Didn't think so.

Read this post: http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/a-teen-instagram-star-is-editing-her-photo-captions-to-show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What is "Fitspo"?

I tend to ignore the vast of majority "look how great I look" photos on social media, because a) I don't care, and b) all the reasons you listed above. But I'm not familiar with "Fitspo", is it something specific, or just general fitness related bolloxology on social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mellor wrote: »
    What is "Fitspo"?

I tend to ignore the vast of majority "look how great I look" photos on social media, because a) I don't care, and b) all the reasons you listed above. But I'm not familiar with "Fitspo", is it something specific, or just general fitness related bolloxology on social media.

Fit + inspiration = Fitspo

tbh lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

It's gone to far now. Just come to the UK - 16-25 year olds specifically... it's like the capital in the Hunger Games. Superficial as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Aspirations, become Instagram celebrity get some sh!tty sponsorship = profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm DELIGHTED to see someone come out and expose this instagram bull**** we're now being consumed by.

I do agree, its great that some one has exposed it....but I feel the exposure will only be seen or heeded by people who already have the maturity and confidence to see through it all and who dont believe in all this crap already.

Thankfully I done most of my growing up before all this social media BS.........

BTW I am probably too old and skeptical, but this girl will be back on social media within 12 months, not that I will notice as I have never heard or her and probably wont ever again either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I don't mind the "look at me" posts if they're accompanied by other more informative posts about training or nutrition. In that case the person is at least adding some value and might actually be a useful resource for people looking to get into similar shape.

But there are some accounts that are practically the same couple of poses...over and over and over again with the odd "post-workout-elevator-mirror-ab-selfie" thrown in for good measure.

Transform had the only post-workout-pump post worth seeing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This isn't an issue specific to health or fitness though is it? Social media 'stars' and an obsession of one's status on the various platforms is a general issue. I'm sure there are people abusing or bastardising film / clothes / music on Instagram also to get attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭CWF

I'm confused, where are does the "o" come from?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This isn't an issue specific to health or fitness though is it? Social media 'stars' and an obsession of one's status on the various platforms is a general issue. I'm sure there are people abusing or bastardising film / clothes / music on Instagram also to get attention.

So should we not discuss its effects on health and fitness in the health and fitness forum? :confused:

CWF wrote: »
    I'm confused, where are does the "o" come from?

'Fitspi' doesn't work.

• Advertisement

'Fitspi' doesn't work.

And an "o" show how changes that?

And an "o" show how changes that?

I'm guessing whoever first used it or popularised it thought 'fitspo' was better than 'fitspi'. They also may have scant regard for the rules of linguistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Amen. Also, drugs. If I'm trying to make a living out of looking good on the gram you can be sure as shït I'd be prioritising my appearance over my health.

Worst part is a lot of what I see on Instagram is people following unsustainable crap from people who have been training <18 months. Of course they have a cert (or are a 'PT in training') but know everything and will inevitably break themselves as well as anyone who follows them.

punishment cardio, good grief

jive wrote: »
    punishment cardio, good grief

lol, wtf is that

lol, wtf is that

When you eat something you didn't plan on eating / something bad and you punish yourself for it in the form of cardio. I thought it was funny but now that I've actually typed it out it's actually sad.

It is definitely a bit funny though hahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

- They probably take at least 20 shots to get the right one

- A lot of photos are touched up and filtered to make them look better

This is something I see a lot of from the typical Instagram 'fitspo's' who go to my gym. The same lads who look like they have 16"+ arms look like twigs when I see them there but thanks to filters, half natty lighting and great angles, they're probably 'fitspo's' to some, unfortunately.

They also hold PT certificates so they obviously know everything about strength training and bodybuilding.

I've casually looked at some of the 'advice' I've seen them give which is absolute rubbish for the most part. "Don't let your knees go past your toes", "arching your back on bench is bad" etc.

When you eat something you didn't plan on eating / something bad and you punish yourself for it in the form of cardio. I thought it was funny but now that I've actually typed it out it's actually sad.

Sounds like something that's symptomatic of an eating disorder.

I'd consider that more weird than funny. Not so much ramping exercise up to meet intake, but the punishment aspect.
    Sounds like something that's symptomatic of an eating disorder.

An exercising disorder imo. It's probably the only time they eat normally and punish themselves.

There's a word for it alright just can't remember what it is. Medical nerds being all smart with their big words. Begins with an O i think...probably ends in an exia. Chris Tarrent here...

Edit; I googled it and it's orthorexia, not sure if it captures it exactly but seems to be an accurate enough description of such behaviour.

• Advertisement

I hadn't hard of that before but googles says Orthorexia (nervosa) is an unhealthy obsession with eating healthy food, perceived to be healthy. Doesn't quite fit imo.
    I'm pretty sure punishment cardio actually falls under bulimia (non-purging).

It's not so much that they're punishing themselves but trying to burn off something that they ate. Psychologically it's symptomatic of an eating disorder. It can go hand-in-hand with food restriction and it can fit with purging as another means of purging calories.

The symptoms of an eating disorder aren't necessarily specific to a given ED. The psychological reason behind someone exercising to burn off something they ate can be exhibited by someone with any of the categories of ED.

Someone totally shoulda mentioned non purging bulimia and ED in the first post.

..oh wait, they did :)

It wasn't missed ;)

Just trying to highlight that that's exactly what 'punishment cardio' is and not some sort of dedication to being fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i like those instragram pages both men and womens.

The negative reaction to these is like the negative reaction to something like if it fits your macros. The reaction is toward an extreme interpretation rather than the main.

I think despite their lack of qualifications the fact that z list Irish models are showing what they eat and how they train is good and promotes healthy eating and a desire to exercise.

sure some people slip in with crap and but we should view the majority rather than the minority.

Take if it fits your macros as a comparison , I have read more articles criticising the pizza and doughnut brigade than I've actually seen people suggest eating more than an occasional pizza.
    The black lash creates it own industry which is bigger than the actual problem.
    the same is happening here....the girl in question required 20 shots before she was happy....big fcuking deal....no girl I know will allow a bad photo on their facebook why would your instrgram be any different especially if it was your livelyhood.

This moany bag will return with a new shtick soon "The real me"...with a book to follow.

Foiled again...

Ah I was just to point it that it was cover by non purging bulimia already mention. No thunder steal.
    arayess wrote: »
    I think despite their lack of qualifications the fact that z list Irish models are showing what they eat and how they train is good and promotes healthy eating and a desire to exercise.
    That's only true if what they are suggesting is conducive to healthy eating, which is almost always isn't.

It's like the Clean9 nonsense.
    Forcing yourself to eat very little for 9 days, but it builds zero healthy habits and the people learn very little about how to go on.

Of course, when you have people paying a lot of money to eat nothing, the goal isn't to educating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Have to agree with Arayess, i really like following some of these people. I can imagine there are plenty that are giving out bad messages and unhealthy advice but there are plenty that are sending out positive, helpful advice.
    I know the posts are directed at those in the latter category but there is definitely a value in Fitspo's once done by genuine, knowledgeable, healthy individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

That's only true if what they are suggesting is conducive to healthy eating, which is almost always isn't.

It's like the Clean9 nonsense.
    Forcing yourself to eat very little for 9 days, but it builds zero healthy habits and the people learn very little about how to go on.

Of course, when you have people paying a lot of money to eat nothing, the goal isn't to educating them.

I see your point but it's the minority rather than majoirty , of course it's just what i've seen I dont dedicate my day to surfing instagram
    Mostly what I've seen is some model type raving about her avocado salad with chia seeds and a kale shake or her early morning workout.
    No my ideal food but nothing wrong with it and it's a good example to young people esp girls .

I fully accept when they jump into 1000calories a day below maintenance preaching then it gets into silly land or esp when they flog a product which is dear but essentially a protein or fiber shake.

arayess wrote: »
    I see your point but it's the minority rather than majoirty , of course it's just what i've seen I dont dedicate my day to surfing instagram
    I didn't even know what fitspo was yesterday so I've no clue what's most common tbh. Maybe I just see more crap making its way to the general population, rather than actively following good sources.

• Advertisement

The thing is there are a lot of people who follow a whole host of 'fitspos'.

The OP isn't suggesting that the whole fitfam be thrown out with the bathwater but just to be aware that there are those who present an image of health and fitness that with a distinct lack of the former.

Picture 1: Quest bar with an inch-thick layer of nutella on it with #iifym underneath

Picture 2: post-spinning class selfie with #eathardtrainhard underneath

What instagram doesn't show is that the spinning class was the last of 4 consecutive classes because the fitspo panicked that it didn't fym and felt the need to cardio the sh*t out of it to shoe-horn those macros in.

Again, it's not a case of the majority is like this but it does exist and sometimes what these fitspos present to impressionable followers is unrealistic and misleading.

Picture 1: Quest bar with an inch-thick layer of nutella on it with #iifym
    Needs peanut butter obv

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I agree that I don't mind the posts if they have something informative in them. I actually never realised how easy it was to manipulate "da gainz" posts till I accidentally did it myself one day when I moved rooms to take a progress photo. I like IG, I find it great for finding out about new ideas for food etc, but some people really extract the urine.

The punishment cardio though - makes people feel like sh*te for eating a slice of pizza. Also makes you think that cardio is useless, and while it's not my thing, there's no need for making others feel like sh*te if they prefer running over lifting a weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]So about the article in the times today... http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/body-fascism-directed-at-young-women-takes-many-forms-1.2731392[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Following Fitspo accounts on Insta was the reason I decided to go to a trainer in the first place. Now honestly had I not paid 12 weeks upfront, maybe I wouldn't have kept going (sorry COH I hated the first 4 weeks or so) [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]So it's the reason I've started but not the reason I've kept going. Its just so convenient being strong and fit just day to day. Grocery shopping, walking, playing with nieces and nephews and for trying other sports (yoga, gaelic, scuba paddle boarding). Anyway my biggest motivation is lifting something heavy today that I know will feel light in a few weeks or months. Eg, the first time I lifted a 20kg bar out of the slot in the gym I had to get help. Now I can press it over my head and then some for several reps... [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nutrition is obviously harder but I'm willing to accept not being ripped looking because I know what it would take nutrition wise to get leaner and I'm not willing to do it honestly. I eat well and train well and love cake and food. While I think many of these ladies who post to Insta may have an unhealthy relationship with food, I think that the general population are largely ignorant to what a portion size looks like, how much sugar is in some products and how blooming difficult it is to get enough protein in without eating loads of meat and its good to show this. Some people's understanding of nutrition is baffling and incorrect. Unfortunately at the other end of the spectrum is the "health food" nuts who sell "replacements" for "bad food" with coconut/peanut butter agave laden balls of ****e. I swear I've had some intelligent women tell me there is no sugar in agave and it doesn't count. Good fats are fine of course but if you make a batch of them and eat them all would you not have just been better off to have had a small treat and save yourself the hassle of making them along with 3,000 calories worth of "healthy fat?"(which by the way probably creates a calorie surplus and makes you fat!) Its easy to see why people think they can't win. Every day something else is causing cancer or is a new super food.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]So as for body image, meh I'd like to say I don't care but I got a bit fat after moving country and I'm 10 times happier now that I've lost it.. not because I now look like someone from Insta or because I'm a supermodel but just because I like looking like I lift. Learned a lot about myself the last few months mainly that if I'm anxious or stressed I overeat. I knew that already. Guess what helps? Planning meals, weighing portions and using my fitness pal to eat enough and eat properly. I definitely don't panic if I go over, I was in Haagen Daaz on Sunday and didn't feel a bit bad because I know its good the majority of the time. When I moved here first I was on the lash constantly and started smoking again with a few drinks but cut it out for the most part. Can have 2 or 3 drinks now and got home, not feel crap the next day and not end up face down in kebab at the end of the night. I forgive myself for doing it for a while though, I had to get out, make friends and now that things have settled down, back on track and feeling better for it. Honestly though how is how you look ever going to be your sole motivator for exercise? There are countless other benefits but try tell some women that. So yeah I like being leanish but take it that I won't always be lean because sometimes life gets in the way and I continue to train regardless because I just love it and it has so many other benefits other than looking good in an insta pic.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Anyway, that article was bullying, plain and simple. Exactly the reason I'd never have the balls to put up anything gym related on social media. I couldn't take the slagging from my mates let alone being singled out in the national paper (even though I'd like some free stuff). Journalist and paper should really be ashamed. I think this particular girl has done great things for fitness in Ireland to be honest. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Shes entitled to do what she wants even though big boobs will get in the way of her bench. Fact. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Actually there is another more balanced article in the times from just this week http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/fitness/should-you-get-your-fitness-advice-on-instagram-1.2729720[/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Some questionable quotes in that too but at least the bloggers were given a chance to defend themselves.[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Absolutely disgraceful. As you said, bullying, plain and simple.

If you really don't like someone's content, don't follow them. Really is that simple.

But about the bench, bigger boobs help reduce the range of motion needed. 😉

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Who are the irish fitspos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I think there is a dangerous amount of 'fitspos' out there at the moment. I'm all for motivating people and I really dont care if people follow IIFYM, Paleo Weightwatchers etc to give them a push start into eating/ being healthier...but what I actually detest, and unfortunately it's featured quite a bit on that particularly fitspos insta in binge eating. I hate seeing fitspos quite regularly boast about putting on 5kg after a 2week holiday...and then publicising there new 2 a day, fasted cardio routine to get rid of the post holiday blub...before doing it all again. There is nothing healthy or sustainable about this at all. But it is becoming more and more common. I actually had a chat with a friend who was telling me that bingeing seems to be the new cool thing among teenage girls. That she actually overheard her sister having a conversation with her friends where they were all trying to outdo each other on the binges they'd had the night before. If this is actually a common trend and not an isolated incident then it's horrifying.

I do disagree with the shaming that went on in the article but I agree with the idea of the article. It was just too obvious that she was referring to one particular fitspo

I was going to get into the binging thing actually but thought I had ranted enough...

Have to agree with you. Whilst balance is important, those extreme up and downs can't be good for you and aren't really feasible for most people. It's quite common not to see a budge on the scale for weeks and then drop a few pounds all at once but women particularly get disheartened if after a week they aren't half a stone lighter. Weight doesn't matter and think that's what she's trying to get across and she also emphases that shes eating enough in order to lose the weight which is good . Sometimes I kind of wonder about full disclosure though. As has been mentioned we only see the posts that are put up and don't know what else goes on. I mean maybe there's a picture of dominos and only had one slice was eaten who knows. I also think that putting up pics of junk saying you don't feel guilty must kind of mean that you do feel guilty really... no need to justify everything you eat be it good or bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I was going to get into the binging thing actually but thought I had ranted enough...

Have to agree with you. Whilst balance is important, those extreme up and downs can't be good for you and aren't really feasible for most people. It's quite common not to see a budge on the scale for weeks and then drop a few pounds all at once but women particularly get disheartened if after a week they aren't half a stone lighter. Weight doesn't matter and think that's what she's trying to get across and she also emphases that shes eating enough in order to lose the weight which is good . Sometimes I kind of wonder about full disclosure though. As has been mentioned we only see the posts that are put up and don't know what else goes on. I mean maybe there's a picture of dominos and only had one slice was eaten who knows. I also think that putting up pics of junk saying you don't feel guilty must kind of mean that you do feel guilty really... no need to justify everything you eat be it good or bad

I also think this has a lot to do with "churn" though as well. In order to be popular in this sphere, you need to post a lot - post often, about anything, hashtag the sh*te out of it and wait for likes...

At least the journalist momentarily convinced herself that she was better off ultimately than the fitspo.

Jesus, though...the IT is fast becoming the cheap campsite bogroll that the Indo is.

I'm glad my latest rant has built upon this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Has anyone else noticed that theres shedloads people on instagram that market themselves as in the know regarding fitness and nutrition yet their posts are indistinguishable from those of a confectionery maker?
    Even when you look through #irishfitfam you don't see anyone doing anything or even saying specifically what they did. It's just buns and leggings or indeed buns IN leggings!
    1 lad in my gym that was getting a bit of sponsorship due to his instagram posts, posted that he had a 5 am cardio sesh that morning. It was only for an easy life I didn't reply back asking if that was so, how come he was only starting it when I was leaving the gym at 8:30?

1 lad in my gym that was getting a bit of sponsorship due to his instagram posts, posted that he had a 5 am cardio sesh that morning. It was only for an easy life I didn't reply back asking if that was so, how come he was only starting it when I was leaving the gym at 8:30?
    No point point out that stuff, he would have just said it was his 2nd workout of the day.

No point point out that stuff, he would have just said it was his 2nd workout of the day.

True. We all have bigger things to worry about and it might be petty it's just that the BS of it annoys me

Has anyone else noticed that theres shedloads people on instagram that market themselves as in the know regarding fitness and nutrition yet their posts are indistinguishable from those of a confectionery maker?
    Even when you look through #irishfitfam you don't see anyone doing anything or even saying specifically what they did. It's just buns and leggings or indeed buns IN leggings!

It's basically an excuse for girls to post pics in their underwear for like.

#FitSham

It's basically an excuse for girls to post pics in their underwear for like.

#FitSham

Exactly............ Now you have me wondering what the hell I'm complaining about!

How are so many companies sending so many off them free stuff? And so much of it?

Cheaper than old fashioned advertising?

How are so many companies sending so many off them free stuff? And so much of it?

Cheaper than old fashioned advertising?

Sometimes it's free, sometimes it's cost.

Sometimes it's cost, sometimes "shill us and we'll give you a 20% discount code and rebate every time someone buys".

Marketing in the digital age is more about getting influencers to talk about your product since they've already built an audience, and have their trust and attention.

Sending 50x prominent fitness bloggers 2 pairs of leggings each at a net cost of €8 is only a €800 investment.

If they sell 55 products back (assuming standard margins) then they're quids in.

Furthermore, if they saturate the market and have EVERYONE big name blogger wearing them, the awesomeness of the brand amplifies.

...and omg why amn't I doing this? Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

It's insane at this stage. I remember a month or so ago, everyone was showing off their avonmore vanilla protein milk with "great macros" and personalised gym towel :D I'd say 99% of them wouldn't buy it themselves.

It's insane at this stage. I remember a month or so ago, everyone was showing off their avonmore vanilla protein milk with "great macros" and personalised gym towel :D I'd say 99% of them wouldn't buy it themselves.

Yeah we got offered it too and asked for chocolate mooju instead. They weren't happy.

...and we didn't get any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Yeah we got offered it too and asked for chocolate mooju instead. They weren't happy.

...and we didn't get any.

Chocolate mooju FTW!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement