Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chapelizod by-pass speed limit reduced to 60kph

Options
  • 03-11-2015 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭
    °°°°°

I noticed today that the speed limit on the Chapelizod by-pass has been dropped from 80kph to 60kph. Small stickers with 6's have been put in place of the 8's of the 80kph signs between Palmerstown and Kilmainham.
    No signage informing motorists of this change is present anywhere on the road on either side.
    This stretch of road has functioned as a barrel for Garda Traffic Corp speed checks to shoot fish in for a long time, and I'm sure many people will be caught out by this change.
    The new limit seem is quite low for the type of road and will doubtlessly not be heeded by the majority of motorists. When the recent resurfacing works were ongoing that limit was in place and there was logic behind it, but now it would appear to be a cynical attempt to trap motorists in speed traps to increase revenue from fines, or maybe I'm being overly cynical myself.

Glazers Out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Its being left in place for another year while "work is carried out". Had a twitter link to the post about it but cant find it anywhere now

Really is a stupid limit. As far as i know they havent changed it into the bye laws yet. Theyll fix it soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Should be 100km/h in any event. 3-lane urban motorway standard road with no footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

100? Get out. It's narrow, crap visibility and a bus lane. Occasional cyclist in it too. 80 was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Its being left in place for another year while "work is carried out". Had a twitter link to the post about it but cant find it anywhere now

Really is a stupid limit. As far as i know they havent changed it into the bye laws yet. Theyll fix it soon enough.

It is a stupid limit and those abiding by it will be tailgated mercilessly creating more dangerous situations.
    I'm wondering what works they will be carrying out as most would appear to be completed save for sections at the Palmerstown and Kilmainham ends, surely works in those locations shouldn't impact on the by-pass proper.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

that is one that really needs a notice at both ends informing of the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Anyone else pretty sure that after the works, the speed limit will quietly be left at 60?

And so it begins. Garda speed van outside the esso garage outbound

°°°°°

Cheers, I'm headed that way soon.

Glazers Out!

Said I'd let people know because I reckon I was done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

They've always been there. Guards used to sit there too catching lads using the bus lane in traffic too. It used to drop to 60 before you hit the hill at palmerston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That bit was always 60 and always a regular spot

There's nowhere outbound they can realistically have a speed check in the former-80-now-60 zone. Inbound under the footbridge has been a hairdryer spot since they got the first set delivered way back when.

Maybe i was always just lucky to never have seen it there before. Ah well....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

that one outside the Esso - isn't it illegal to park on the pavement ? Yes I know they are coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Drove on this road twice on Saturday for the first time in a while, the 60KPH is dangerous! The amount of people hitting the breaks and slowly down quickly on the inside while people booted it down on the outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

trellheim wrote: »
    that one outside the Esso - isn't it illegal to park on the pavement ? Yes I know they are coppers.

The gardas are law on to themselves. But I wound love to see someone walk up to them and ask them if they are aware of what they are doing is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Simon2015 wrote: »
    The gardas are law on to themselves. But I wound love to see someone walk up to them and ask them if they are aware of what they are doing is illegal.

Its not illegal for them.

°°°°°

trellheim wrote: »

The worst one is the one they have under the pedestrian bridge as you head towards Kilmainham, I got caught a little over the limit as I overtook somebody there and I can see why they place it there as there is a bend just before it which gives you no chance of getting your speed down in time. I'm ultra careful on both sides of the road now and I use it most days, I follow the new limit usually by using cruise control and I am literally the only person on the road I have seen keeping to this new limit even since they introduced the flashing electronic signs on either end of the road. Being honest I feel extremely vulnerable driving at that speed considering the behaviour of other road users on that road. 80kph was a limit which was realistic and safe. Driving this road at 60kph feels dangerous and needs to be reconsidered. I wonder is the people making these decisions are actually driving these stretches of road? Considering you are able to travel at 80kph on so many poor quality rural roads in this country, some not a million miles away in County Dublin this 60kph limit seems like lunacy on a dual carriageway.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement