Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been stereotyped?

• 03-11-2015 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

I am being so at the minute. There's a film on 3e at the minute that was set in one of my (closed now) locals. And they're all pished!

Don't like it at all:(

Have you ever been the victim of an erroneous portrayal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

I am being so at the minute. There's a film on 3e at the minute that was set in one of my (closed now) locals. And they're all pished!

Don't like it at all:(

Have you ever been the victim of an erroneous portrayal?

You can't even spell / pronounce pissed - that shows how pished you are, so seems an accurate portrayal. :(

Plus you start all those threads after a few scoops...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Grabbers? Ha, ha, ha! :D

Have I ever been stereotyped? Yes.
    People presume that because I have long hair and a beard that I'm a musician.

I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

A lot of times when I tell not Limerick people I'm from Limerick.
    I get "ooohhh" like I'm going to stab them on the spot.

Like I'd do it during the day, with so many people around to see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You can't even spell / pronounce pissed - that shows how pished you are, so seems an accurate portrayal. :(

Plus you start all those threads after a few scoops...

It's Monday in his world it's Friday
    I'm female and have very short hair, it's a running joke amongst friends as to how often I get called sir on a night out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

If i walk into a shop without my wife and kids, i get stared out of it by staff and security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I'm tall, with a bigger build than most bouncers, so I've been refused entry from a lot of clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Yes. Usually daily. Rough looking, northern accent and male tends to fit a few but its all fun among colleagues really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

All the time; Single mother. With a good job and a well behaved child 😱😱😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

All the time.

Being Irish is great abroad, everyone just expects you to drink and beers magically appear at all sorts of work meetings & functions :)

The "fiddle-de-dee potato" hats aren't cool though.

Plus all the accounting jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

People assume I'm vegetarian because, according to them, I 'look like someone who would be a vegetarian'. I'm not sure if that's meant to be a compliment or an insult. Either way, such people have never seen me whilst I feast upon raw steak, foaming at the mouth as the blood-like liquid mixes with my saliva and I moan in endless ecstasy. Mmm. Steak.

I'm a male who is attracted to men now and then, but according to some American one that couldn't possibly be true because I didn't know who Bette Davis was. What.

Been told I'm 'supposed to like football' because apparently that's a requirement of having a penis.

Germans being shocked when I can speak fluent German because apparently native English speakers don't know any other languages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've got shoulder-length hair so that means I'm a hippy or a musician.

The musician one is annoying because people fling guitars at me at parties (I fúckin' hate people with guitars at parties) and expect me to belt out a tune.

The hippy one is annoying because people put me in a box politically or think I'm spiritual and then act surprised when I don't agree with their views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Just Another Girl

Was on holidays at the beginning of the year and the tour guide told me I looked like somebody who smoked weed.
    I dont, but I took it as a compliment that I look somewhat 'cool'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I've a shaved head, 0 blade. So, I'm in a gang, rob cars, or a football hooligan. Get funny looks from some people, especially auld was.

Yep. Lived in Kerry for 10 years and was sometimes assumed to be a Dublin scumbag. Especially when they heard what part of Dublin I was from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'm a republican... Also a Celtic supporter so have been known to wear Celtic jerseys. I also don't speak a word of Gaelic .... I'm pretty much a walking, talking stereotype of "barstool republican"

It annoys me at times but I do see the funny side of it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Used get it all the time when I was a teenager. I've been into metal a long time so I wore a lot of black therefore I was supposed to be a Satanist and I used sacrifice virgin goats on an altar in the middle of a field surrounded by a ring of fire :rolleyes:

In recent times I've been stereotyped as being a male model despite being a bit overweight. I'm not ugly by any means but why it's assumed that I earn a living from that I'll never know.

I have a south Dublin somewhat D4 accent.

People instantly assume I'm some rich posho who has never had a hard days work in my life.

If people just took the time to get to know me, they'd realise that they were 100% correct in their astute assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Used get it all the time when I was a teenager. I've been into metal a long time so I wore a lot of black therefore I was supposed to be a Satanist and I used sacrifice virgin goats on an altar in the middle of a field surrounded by a ring of fire :rolleyes:

How did you know if the goats were virgins or not? Did you breed them specifically for the rituals or did you just pick them up a few days before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'm from East Limerick, a computer programmer, motoring enthusiast and motorcyclist. Some people expect me to rip their head off, stab it, and boil it up in turnip soup while staring at my own shoes. I should point out that most of that has no basis in fact. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Karsini wrote: »
    Yep. Lived in Kerry for 10 years and was sometimes assumed to be a Dublin scumbag. Especially when they heard what part of Dublin I was from.

Upper Scumbag Street?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

I have an upper class English accent as my mother and father both had voice coaching when they were younger but come from a poor family and have a very modest salary. Also a left Winger. People often assume though I am some right wing snob.

I'm a blonde woman. Of course I have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

People who find out I have an adult child and a 5 yr old always always assume they have different dads. Especially when they find out I'm from a working class area. There is no way a teenager from my part of Dublin could have had a baby and not been a single parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm a blonde woman. Of course I have!

Probably not the best time for a blonde joke so :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'm 'great fun' apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

OneArt wrote: »
    Germans being shocked when I can speak fluent German because apparently native English speakers don't know any other languages.

Ich auch bin überrascht! :pac: Es kann nicht wahr sein! :D

jamesbere wrote: »
    Probably not the best time for a blonde joke so :)

By the way, it isn't a Porch, it's a Maserati. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I would have done this but I never knew how to tell if a goat was a virgin or not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I've often been asked straight out if I'm a lesbian because I don't dress "girly" or wear make up. I'm too lazy for all that stuff. I also drink pints! Straight girl here who has had no trouble meeting guys. I do know some lesbians and they are like film stars, they are so glamorous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

This seems to be a bragging thread for quite a few posters, I too am a model with well behaved hair from d4 with a great job and people judge me perfectly on my perfection.........blah blah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A number of times both in Ireland and Australia, when I have been walking down a quiet-ish street and there happens to be a women in front of me, they would look behind and speed up their pace as if to avoid me. I may be a man but no I am not going to rape or assault you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Lights On wrote: »
    How did you know if the goats were virgins or not? Did you breed them specifically for the rituals or did you just pick them up a few days before?

Bred specifically by a certified virgin goat farmer :D
    petes wrote: »
    I would have done this but I never knew how to tell if a goat was a virgin or not!!

You didn't have the right farmer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I live in England, and I work in a 'professional' job- own office, suit, secretary.

I occasionally have to deal with the odd tradesman like recently we did some painting and general spruce up of the building.

I got the 'Oh...I know how you Irish like your cash jobs' or I must be fanatical about horse racing (which I am not).

To be fair nothing malicious just their way of bantering. It was all met with a stoney faced wall of silence from me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

All the time, I'm an Irishman living in a city of 400,000 where only 2 other Irishmen live. We're like a fookin' punchline when we go to the pub together.
    Sometimes it's nice though, people offer you Guinness and those curious about it seem genuinely interested in Irish history.
    On the other hand others are disappointed that none of the 3 of us have red hair or know the steps to Rivedance!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

"You're a Christian, but you like shellfish!! Your bible says you cant eat it"

Usually said by an uppity atheist who doesnt even know what it is they supposedly dont believe in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

"What? You're Irish and you don't drink??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

"What? You're Irish and you don't drink??"

God yeah- I will often drive to social events (wife is English) and therefore not drink so I get that a lot.

Personally I am on a one man crusade to smash Irish stereotypes:-

a. I barely drink;
    b. I am not a rabid Catholic
    c. I do not work in construction or pave driveways
    d. I am trying to improve my 'th'..:o
    e. I do not dance like Michael Flately- love handles? hello?
    f. I do not have a pet sheep
    g. Leprechauns only exist to rip off gullible idiots like you asking me this question.
    h. Nobody has ever said 'Top of the morning' to me ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

keano_afc wrote: »
    "You're a Christian, but you like shellfish!! Your bible says you cant eat it"

Usually said by an uppity atheist who doesnt even know what it is they supposedly dont believe in.
    Add your reply here.Leviticus 11:12

"Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you."

Hardcore Jews and Christians and Shi'ite Muslims don't eat shellfish because of this, way I see it you either believe all or none of the particular book your religion is based on, picking and choosing doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can think of two situations where I've been stereotyped to an extent.

First one, I was housesharing for a short time with a bunch of people I didn't know. One of them was gay and avoided me from the start, barely spoke to me at all. Couldn't care less as he was a tool. Anyway, one of the other people who I got on with told me that this guy was avoiding me 'cos I was exactly the same as some guy who'd beaten him up for being gay. I'm not homophobic in the slightest and I'd never even got the chance to talk to the guy but he saw something in me that reminded me of this guy and immediately assumed I was the same.

Second one has happened quite a few times. I am of the opinion that the whole island should be one country and if you ask me, I will tell you that. However, it's not a big deal for me, I get on with my life and I honestly don't care that much. Yet, I've met several Northern nationalists who assume that because I think that way I'm automatically a massive Ra Head or a Celtic fan or some kind of Brit-hating ultra-nationalist. It's not the case, not in the slightest. FWIW, I've never had that problem when I've met Northern unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Add your reply here.Leviticus 11:12

"Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you."

Hardcore Jews and Christians and Shi'ite Muslims don't eat shellfish because of this, way I see it you either believe all or none of the particular book your religion is based on, picking and choosing doesn't make sense.

I am neither a hardcore Jew or a Shi'ite Muslim. The Old Testament laws of preparation dont apply to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Drive anything even remotely sporty or bigger than a 1.8ltr engine and you're classified as a boy racer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I was accused by a junkie on dublin bus a few years ago that she saw my scummy facebook profile and she knew who I was. She saw my profile all on facebook.

I don't have a facebook profile and never have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

...... or know the steps to Rivedance!
    and you don't hold in great reverence Michael Flatley on your mantlepiece.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I'm English...'nuff said

smash wrote: »
    ...or bigger than a 1.8ltr engine and you're classified as a boy racer.

Hmm. I don't seem to get that. :D

jimgoose wrote: »
    Hmm. I don't seem to get that. :D
    You're too old, so you're a man racer. :pac:

Drive anything even remotely sporty or bigger than a 1.8ltr engine and you're classified as a boy racer.

I think it was more to do with the donuts outside the playschool smash :D

You're too old, so you're a man racer. :pac:

Mate of mine has a 1994 2.8l Audi Quattro, a real one with 4WD and a diff-lock an' all. We sometimes bemuse the local chungfellits in the pub car-park by throwing a bit of smoke and yelling "Daycint biy, daycint boo outta her!!" out the window at each other. :pac::pac::pac:

I think it was more to do with the donuts outside the playschool smash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

6'2", 250lb biker with a shaved, tattooed head & a gargantuan goatee beard...take a wild guess :pac::pac::pac:

I can walk into places & you'd think Genghis Khan just walked in, the looks I get :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement