Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in Bad Driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...heading out dame st, at the junction with george's st i go straight on towards dublin castle while there's also a filter lane for turning left, which always goes green first. cyclists frequently sit on the inside of that lane waiting to go straight on while cars & buses are trying to pass them to turn left. seems to me too be such a silly thing to do..
    I use that junction a lot and see this regularly. A simple solution which might help would be to add a left turn arrow light on the distant lights across the junction beside the red light. I think some cyclists see the red light only across the junction and think the drivers behind them are breaking that red light (as the cyclists can't see the left turn green arrow).
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    ...I was reversing out my drive..
    I know you don't want to hear this but that manoeuvre is illegal. As well as being illegal, a reversing driver has no right of way and must give way to all others.

(Don't shoot the messenger! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I know you don't want to hear this but that manoeuvre is illegal. As well as being illegal, a reversing driver has no right of way and must give way to all others.

(Don't shoot the messenger! :))

Really!? So it's legal for me to reverve into my front driveway from the main road so my car is facing out? Jasus.

Really!? So it's legal for me to reverve into my front driveway from the main road so my car is facing out? Jasus.
    Yes, that's perfectly legal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I know you don't want to hear this but that manoeuvre is illegal.

I don't think it's illegal per se. Legislation states:
    Reversing
    12. (1) Before reversing, a driver shall ensure that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

(2) A driver shall not reverse onto a major road from another road.

(3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a public road onto a public road save where it is clear to the driver that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Reversing25.—(1) Before reversing a driver shall ensure that he can do so without endangering other traffic or pedestrians.
    (2) A driver shall not reverse on to a major road from another road, or whenever his vision is such that to reverse would be likely to endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print#zzsi294y1964a25

• Advertisement

I don't think it's illegal per se. Legislation states:
    Point taken - I was thinking of the minor to major road bit (section 2) rather than section 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I use that junction a lot and see this regularly. A simple solution which might help would be to add a left turn arrow light on the distant lights across the junction beside the red light. I think some cyclists see the red light only across the junction and think the drivers behind them are breaking that red light (as the cyclists can't see the left turn green arrow).

An even simpler solution would be to ban the use of independent left arrows inside built up areas. Unless they are turning right, the cyclists can't really be expected to be anywhere else except on the left hand side of the road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's two lanes though. One for going straight and the other for going left. You just need to move into the right hand lane to avoid obstructing left turning traffic.

An even simpler solution would be to ban the use of independent left arrows inside built up areas. Unless they are turning right, the cyclists can't really be expected to be anywhere else except on the left hand side of the road.
    The junction in question has no right turn - a dedicated left turn only lane and a straight ahead lane. A lot of cyclists position themselves in the left lane when they intend going straight and impede buses turning left. (No cycle lane). It's easy to move over to the right lane and traffic tends to be moving fairly slowly there. The left turn only lane is marked for a long way back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

dbagman wrote: »
    How can't you understand people's fury with a cyclists refusal to use them and insistence on unneccessairly holding up traffic.

The road is no place for fury, particularly if you are directing a 1500kg metal object at speed.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Reversing25.—(1) Before reversing a driver shall ensure that he can do so without endangering other traffic or pedestrians.
    (2) A driver shall not reverse on to a major road from another road, or whenever his vision is such that to reverse would be likely to endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print#zzsi294y1964a25

So im good so. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

So im good so. Thanks

i wouldn't say that. The more recent legislation quoted above (which revoked the version you are quoting from) states:

12. (1) Before reversing, a driver shall ensure that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

(3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a public road onto a public road save where it is clear to the driver that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

The bar for that regulation is pretty high and if you do hit someone it will be pretty clear you failed to meet it. The normal rule is that you can do something unless it would be unsafe to do so, in this instance it is that you can't do it unless you establish it is safe to do so.

The generally accepted best practice is to reverse into your driveway rather than out. It is safer - for you and for others. Traffic on the main road will see you indicating, slowing and then reversing when you are going in, they will have far less notice of your exiting in reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You see this gets right on my goat. Why wouldn't you use cycle lanes? I can guarantee if you were cycling on one and a car was parked on it blocking your way you'd be the first to complain. I don't get your reference to them being "rubbish". Bar covering them with red carpet how do you propose they improve them? It's a tarmac lane dedicated to cyclists. You cant be anything other than safer on them. What more do you want? How can't you understand people's fury with a cyclists refusal to use them and insistence on unneccessairly holding up traffic.

You see this gets right on my goat. Why wouldn't you use motorways? I can guarantee if you were driving on one and a cyclist was on it blocking your way you'd be the first to complain.

It's a tarmac lane dedicated to motorists. You cant be anything other than safer on them. What more do you want? How can't you understand people's fury with a motorists refusal to use them and insistence on unneccessairly holding up cyclists.

So tell me again, why do you insist on driving on major and minor roads and not stay on motorways all the time?

Fian wrote: »
    i wouldn't say that. The more recent legislation quoted above (which revoked the version you are quoting from) states:

The bar for that regulation is pretty high and if you do hit someone it will be pretty clear you failed to meet it. The normal rule is that you can do something unless it would be unsafe to do so, in this instance it is that you can't do it unless you establish it is safe to do so.

The generally accepted best practice is to reverse into your driveway rather than out. It is safer - for you and for others. Traffic on the main road will see you indicating, slowing and then reversing when you are going in, they will have far less notice of your exiting in reverse.

Okay well:

1. I am not endangering other road users or Pedestrians when I reverse out of my driveway.

2. I'm not reversing onto a major road. The rule is applicable when reversing from a minor to a major road not my driveway to the road outside which is a minor road.

3. I can see perfectly clear from driveway. The only reason I nearly hit the cyclist was because he was wearing black, had no lights and had black skin (No racism intended). Even if I was driving straight out of the driveway I'd barely even see him.

It's actually more dangerous for me to reverse into my driveway from the main road because cars do be straight up my ass and vehicles do be flying past in the other direction. In fact none of my neighbors reverse into their driveways either. So whether the Guards have an issue with it I'll deal with it then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

Do you know what 'traffic' is?

I do indeed,Im assuming you dont? Traffic doesnt have to be stationary to be classed traffic.You can be in traffic and moving. And equally be in traffic and have a cyclist delay you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I do indeed,Im assuming you dont? Traffic doesnt have to be stationary to be classed traffic.You can be in traffic and moving. And equally be in traffic and have a cyclist delay you further.

Incorrect. The cyclist delaying you is traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm assuming then that hundreds of cars like I witness every morning tail to tail into Dublin annoy you just as much?

I drove 500km over the mid term break from the east to west coast and back - left on a bank holiday Monday - good weather and bikes, some in large groups, on a lot of roads. Never did I get this impression of being 'held up.' Just held back and passed with space and respect.It's all down to attitude, tolerance and common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The average car commuter has probably improved their awareness of cyclists this past year. Still get a hell of a lot of cars breaking red lights lights, especially as I get closer to Dublin city centre but I will always wait a few seconds before aking off, just in case.

I have noticed a serious deterioration in bus drivers attitudes though. The amount of "punishment" passes and aggressive pulling out of bus stops I've witnessed is frightening.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

I've noticed an increase in cyclists using the footpaths, may be related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I dare say you don't know....traffic is the passage of people or vehicles along routes of transportation.

Or a broader definition thanks to wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic

I particularly like this :

Some jurisdictions may have very detailed and complex rules of the road while others rely more on drivers' common sense and willingness to cooperate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

I've noticed an increase in cyclists using the footpaths, may be related.

They cant use the cycle lanes sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Pity they can't use the roads then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

3. I can see perfectly clear from driveway. The only reason I nearly hit the cyclist was because he was wearing black, had no lights and had black skin (No racism intended). Even if I was driving straight out of the driveway I'd barely even see him.

It's actually more dangerous for me to reverse into my driveway from the main road because cars do be straight up my ass and vehicles do be flying past in the other direction. In fact none of my neighbors reverse into their driveways either. So whether the Guards have an issue with it I'll deal with it then.
    So you couldn't see a cyclist while reversing out of your driveway?
    you state you could see the cyclist if you were driving out of your driveway?
    Seems like its unsafe to reverse out of your driveway so.

What is there was a person running in dark clothes past your driveway?

You can reverse into a drive, you just need to let other traffic pass until it is safe to do so.
    If there is traffic flying past, it is even more unsafe to reverse out onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Hardly surprising.

367573.jpg

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm guessing if strict liability was brought in here we'd say a fairly seismic shift in drivers' attitudes towards cyclists.......and a noticeable increase in the amount of space given when overtaking ;)

https://twitter.com/Craig_Burn/status/661253603609415680

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Okay well:
    I think you've discovered the first rule of motoring rants on boards;

- Thou shalt not complain about other road users without making sure you were 100% in the right

:D

My wife commented that there seemed to be a lot of people on bikes riding around at dusk or even just poor lighting with no lights, but often with hi-vis or a helmet.

From my own commutes, I think she's right. When you look at the number of cars that drive around in poor lighting without their lights - when all they have to do is turn a knob - it shouldn't be surprising that a lot of people on bikes would forget to attach their lights or otherwise forget to have them at all. Also at play are differences in vision. On a bike you can see far better in poor lighting than someone in a car, so it's a natural human tendency to assume everyone else can see as well as you can.

But I think the main culprit really is the RSA's push for hi-vis. Yes, they mention lights every now and again, but not as critical equipment. They hand out hi-vis vests every opportunity they can. They've ingrained the importance of the hi-vis to the point that a driver will give out to a someone on a bike for not wearing a hi-vis, but make no mention of the lack of lights.

As much as it might irk us all, I really think there should be a move on to force retailers to sell bikes with lights attached. And not ****ty €2 lights that take an AAA battery and run down after an hour, relatively decent lights with a minimum luminosity rating.
    And push it - ads everywhere, "Where are your lights?", "Before you set off on your bike in winter, do you have your lights with you", etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

Pity they can't use the roads then.

A lot of them can't use the roads after 5pm because they don't have lights on their bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Last night I was reversing out my drive and nearly hit a cyclist. I'm a very observant driver who's never had any incidents but the guy was wearing all black clothing, no lights/helmet and not to be racist or anything but because he was black he looked like he was in stealth mode. How I didn't hit him is a mystery.

Btw I cycle myself and always wear hi-viz and use my lights.

Are you out of your *&^%$ mind? (Forgive my bluntness.)

I stopped driving in and reversing out when I was reversing one day and - out of the corner of my eye - saw a frantic young mother racing to grab her toddler, who had run up behind the car and was absolutely invisible to me.

After that I never, never, never drove straight in and reversed out. You'd never forgive yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i thought reversing onto a road, main anyway, was illegal. yet i see it being done every day. how people have the courage to do it is beyond me.
    i live in a cul de sac, and could drive in and reverse out blindfold, such is the little amount of traffic, but i won't. not worth the risk.

most of the driving/cycling today is down to road users attitude. if someone is rushing and maybe going to be late, here's a novel idea - leave a little earlier. if a cyclist is in front of you, just drive along behind. the opportunity to overtake will occur eventually. blood pressure will lower and maybe driving will improve. if the crap hits the fan and an accident occurs, you'll have to stop anyway.

very foggy here this morning and the amount of drivers with no lights on beggars belief. the few cyclists i saw were well vissied up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Many years ago Paris cut its road fatalities and injuries sharply with a campaign of posters all over the city asking
    WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN YOU GET THERE?

Everyone slowed down, realising that they weren't really in such a rush.

Advertisement