Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensor light goes live

Options
  • 03-11-2015 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for possible explainations not fixes, but as an interested person i like to know what is causing my problems before i get someone to fix them, helps me be happy with the solution.

i have a sensor light over the back door, it is controlled by a switch inside the house. the sensor light was wired so that the switch will isolate the light when not wanted, and there was also a connection taken off the switch wire and connected to another light over the coal shed door, this was to allow safe and easy access over the winter months.

however i have noticed that when the light switch is turned on the bod of the light will give you a small shock, i checked the junction box in the attic and when the switch is turned on the phase tester lights up on the earth, turn the switch off and the earth is dead again,
    This has to be coming from the light i thought, so i disconnected the light, but nothing changes, really weird ehh.

As the earth is not going to the switch but the switch with the light completely removed is controlling the earth.

i asked an electrician about this and he is coming over to have a look today/tomorrow, but he says we will do way with the earth thats there and run a new one and run a test, he thinks there is a crossed wire, but i dont understand what he is on about as the earth should not be live then not live for the switch. there is approx 109V across the earth and nutral/live wires on a cheapo meter.

what do you think?

i am not having good luck with electrica in my house or my parents house at the minute, i dont do any work on the leectrics myself but it looks to me taht both houses need a rewirining. the joys eh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The earth wire is probably floating. As in not connected to the earth bar or any earthed connection of the house earthing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Bruthal wrote: »
    The earth wire is probably floating. As in not connected to the earth bar or any earthed connection of the house earthing system.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replys, but please forgive my ignorance here, so does that meaning that the green yellow (earth) is not connected to anything?

so why does the switch turn the power ON/OFF at the earth wire?

the guy that put up this light is going to get a good kick up the bishop brennan if what you are telling me the earth is not connected.

I had major earth problems on mam & dads house about 2 weeks ago form using the same electrician and his fix to their house I had to finish off!

Should i report him and to where, this is danergous stuff leaving no earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Induced voltage.

Advertisement