Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmills

Options
  • 03-11-2015 11:58am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a treadmill in order to be able to get any running done during the week. Whilst I have a decent running buggy, there is not too many safe, kerb/ tree route/ pot hole/ ruffian free routes locally that I'd want to take it out on after dark. There is also an awful lot of faffing required to get ready to go running with the buggy when the weather is crappy and cold such that then having to turn around after 10 minutes due to screaming would not be much fun. The buggy will just have to stick to parkrunning in daylight hours for now.

So, what are the actual important things that I should be looking for?
    I don't intend to be doing long sessions on it (who would), so expect to be hopping on for 20-40 minutes (or the length of an episode of <insert latest Netflix hit here>).

Size of the motor looks like I'd be needing around 3CHP for it to be useful for running at a decent pace. Is that right, is a 2.75 or 2.5 too low, or is paying the £X more for the slightly bigger motor worth it?
    Does it matter how many programs the unit has? Surely you just turn it on a run at whatever pace/ incline is appropriate? Do you actually need them changing speed automajically on you whilst running to relieve the bordem, or would that distract you from watching Netflix and you then end up getting launched into the back wall when you miss a step?
    Any other fancy features that are important/ unnecessary that they add on the consoles?
    Would definitely need to be foldable or it won't get let in the house, does this effect their sturdiness/ speed/ other features at all?
    Whilst the kid can currently be plonked into a play pen to stop them escaping, and they have not yet figured out how to crawl anyway, any other tips or tricks for child management around a treadmill once they get more mobile?

Any suggestions on makes or models I should be looking at, or avoiding? Or on how to survive using one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Finglas Flier

Brave man!!!
    Had to get on one some years back to get tested for my new runners that I was buying at the time in Runways.....
    I nearly took out two customers in the shop at the time, such was the mess I made at attempting to run on it... :-(...as I came falling off of it with little dignity... LOL...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

One thing to watch is max speed and to have the speeds on a button.

Rather than crawling up and down the scale of speed if you can do intervals where you go from say 12km/h to 18km/hr at one push of a button it is far safer than push and hold systems.

Worth checking any gyms to see if they are refreshing stock or check the liquidation houses, clearance places might have them second hand or a decent commercial unit at a decent price.

Advertisement