Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on upgrade

Options
  • 03-11-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

My current PC (mainly built in 2011) has died and I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade anyway as the case is showing its age (Sonata 2 - hell to work with & the acoustic lining is rotting away).

I'm thinking of:

* Case: be quiet Silent Base 800 (looks relatively nice, seems to be easy to work with and presumably very quiet). How are the Corsair Carbide cases? They seem silent but a bit grim looking. EDIT Actually for silence and ease of use the Fractal Design Define R5 seems the winner.
    * PSU: Any advice? I'll only ever be running 1 GPU (will re-use the GTX 960 I recently bought)
    * MB: Socket 1151, perhaps one of the ASRock Z170 range? (My current MB is ASRock and I liked it, more than my previous ASUS one anyway). Don't need anything too fancy but would like USB 3.1 front and back, overclocking ability
    * CPU: What the best bang-for-your-buck 1151 CPU currently?

P.

Advertisement