Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an Improviser

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"Relaxation techniques"
    Ha!
    That's a euphemism I haven't heard before!

Masturbation before a show is like drinking the champagne at the start of a race.

And its definitely not a euphemism!
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I thought I hated improv and then I started listening to Comedy Bang Bang and, more recently, Spontanenation which I love.

Is it just that I hate bad improv?

Possibly, there are so many different styles and formats with improv. But there are so many wonderful acts/troupes/shows.

I will post some more videos but improv really doesn't translate to video clips. Its very much an experience that must be witnessed live.

A group called The Showstoppers, who are a magnificent musical improv group have a show on the London West End. Those guys are awesome.

King Ten are another hot group, from LA. (Nick Armstrong is teaching and performing in this year's Improv Fest Ireland)

Some other talks about improv that may be of interest:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Bringing you back to "Who's line is it Anyway", the great Ch4 show of the 80's, can you tell me, the songs, how they hell did they do these so well? It's one thing to do good improv but singing your way through an improv must be a lot more difficult?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Bringing you back to "Who's line is it Anyway", the great Ch4 show of the 80's, can you tell me, the songs, how they hell did they do these so well? It's one thing to do good improv but singing your way through an improv must be a lot more difficult?

Greeting from Barcelona, where I am representing Ireland at the "Barcelona Improv Group's International Festival" (BIGIF), the largest improv festival in Europe! Played a killer set last night which has me pumped today!
    http://www.barcelonaimprovfestival.com/

Anyway to your question.

Greeting from Barcelona, where I am representing Ireland at the "Barcelona Improv Group's International Festival" (BIGIF), the largest improv festival in Europe! Played a killer set last night which has me pumped today!
    http://www.barcelonaimprovfestival.com/

Anyway to your question. As I mentioned earlier, musical improv can be even easier than non musical work.

Many people have a fear of public speaking so the prospect of singing too will seem even tougher. And while there are techniques and even structures to approaching musicals pieces, what sells it to the audience is commitment.

As I tell students, the audience will believe it if you believe it. Commit to what you're doing. If you're worried about failing, then fail gloriously!

While most improvised songs will rhyme, equally they don't need to rhyme to work.

Not all of the Whose Line cast liked singing, Colin and Ryan being good examples. In fact Ryan Stiles hates doing improvised songs

What you see on Whose Line though when it comes to musicals is very simple in formatting. Impossible for anything to go wrong.

The video below is taken from an improv retreat I took part in hosted by The Maydays in the UK a few years back. (Apologies for the not so super quality) In the clips the two folks improvised a duet, completely unrehearsed and together for the first time. Hopefully it gives you a sense of how not just funny it can be, but also touching and moving too, not to mention beautiful!

I mentioned the Showstoppers and The Maydays, both are groups that improvise full musicals that includes improvised dance and support sections. While it can often look rehearsed, it never is, and boils down to the commitment the players put in to it. Simple things like supporting your stage partner, patterns and being in the moment are key to pulling it off.

I love improvised musicals. We all love music and the buzz you get when the audience join in with a chorus or even are still singing it after the show is such a rush. And those songs will never be heard again!

Hope this offers some insight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

It does indeed Faceman,many thanks for your detailed posts and best of luck in Barcelona ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Have you ever improvised a cheese, and what type of cheese did you end up choosing? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Thanks for all the work in the detailed posts Faceman.

The AMA has been a real eye opener.

Best of Luck in Barcelona.

We talk together with our mates, and we make each other laugh frequently, long and loud. But that's just us "having the craic". It's only funny because we're all there, we're all talking and listening together and playing off what each other are saying.

In other words, it's funny, but it's not comedy.

Am I right?

Have you ever improvised a cheese, and what type of cheese did you end up choosing? ;)

Probably. *inserts a stream of cheese puns*

We talk together with our mates, and we make each other laugh frequently, long and loud. But that's just us "having the craic". It's only funny because we're all there, we're all talking and listening together and playing off what each other are saying.

In other words, it's funny, but it's not comedy.

Am I right?

Yes that makes sense and you could draw parables with improv in that the audience are our mates too and there in on the joke because they're there.

However the dynamic of listening in improv differs than the way we listen during casual conversation. With improv we are actively listening to everything religiously. We can't miss a word, syllable or breath. We have to totally be in the moment and let go.

Improv to me is unusual in that it's not strictly comedy and it's not strictly theatre. It's something in between. We have discussions around this in how do position what we do.

Some people don't like to even call it Improv Comedy, some prefer improvised theatre, some prefer spontaneous theatre.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    No defintely not. Planning ahead is a recipe for disaster. You genuinely have to go in with nothing and see where it goes.

I was made watch Dara Ó Briain DVDs recently and I have to say I only basically liked his "set" but the best part of all his shows is the improv he does off audience members.

Sometimes it is SO good you start to suspect he must have planted people in the audience. But I do wonder is he just doing complete Improv? Have you watched the DVDs? Do you think it is improv or plant?

I find myself asking the same question about the show "Would I lie to you". I know how much of it is scripted - especially when you watch the out take videos - but the true comedy gold come from the Mitchel and Lee Mack improv moments. Is it all scripted? Or do they genuinely pull these nuggets of gold out of their ass that readily that often?

Anyway the real question I wanted to ask - given the number of things like "mens sheds" and stuff showing up around where people are getting into alternative outlets for expressing themselves and enjoying the company of others - is there a market for "improv nights" at all? Where someone just organises a night of improve group entertainment - sitting around drinking and chatting - but the occasional rotaionary onus to get up and do improv alone or with partner(s)?

Id SO go to a club like that all the time. Load of guys and girls sitting around a stage - but with the stage only being half the focus of attention - and the occasional improv idea is thrown out and someone has to step up - and then business as normal until the next one :)

I was made watch Dara Ó Briain DVDs recently and I have to say I only basically liked his "set" but the best part of all his shows is the improv he does off audience members.

Sometimes it is SO good you start to suspect he must have planted people in the audience. But I do wonder is he just doing complete Improv? Have you watched the DVDs? Do you think it is improv or plant?

I find myself asking the same question about the show "Would I lie to you". I know how much of it is scripted - especially when you watch the out take videos - but the true comedy gold come from the Mitchel and Lee Mack improv moments. Is it all scripted? Or do they genuinely pull these nuggets of gold out of their ass that readily that often?

This is the kind of thing that unfortunately can cause confusion as to what improv is. So yes, while its improvised, it's more adlibbing and bantering with the audience. They may be using some of the principles of improv as part of what they're doing, buts it's more casual. Some Stand Up comedians take improv classes to help them with this part of their acts.

One of my teachers and friend, the late Jason Chin of iO Chicago, used to say about improv as an art form; "Short Form improv is the craft, Long Form improv is the art"

Short form is essentially what you see in shows like Whose Line. Game based improv where the skills are applied.

Long form improv is usually more theatrical. There can be a narrative or a theme throughout it. Intertwined stories or certain structures. Shows or sets can range from 20 minutes to full length improvised plays.
    wrote:
    Anyway the real question I wanted to ask - given the number of things like "mens sheds" and stuff showing up around where people are getting into alternative outlets for expressing themselves and enjoying the company of others - is there a market for "improv nights" at all? Where someone just organises a night of improve group entertainment - sitting around drinking and chatting - but the occasional rotaionary onus to get up and do improv alone or with partner(s)?

Id SO go to a club like that all the time. Load of guys and girls sitting around a stage - but with the stage only being half the focus of attention - and the occasional improv idea is thrown out and someone has to step up - and then business as normal until the next one :)

Yes. There are already great nights around the country. There's improv in Dublin, Galway, Cork, Limerick, Wexford and Belfast. (Over on the Improv Fest Ireland page I post a weekly round up of all the improv shows that i am aware of that week - https://www.facebook.com/improvfestireland )

Dublin has a weekly show every Monday where each week, different acts perform. It's called The Tightrope.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=454810277977487

I also run a monthly Jam night where people can just turn up and play regardless of experience. It's always a fun night out. We have a Facebook group called "Love! Improv" where people network, share shows etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=184133205085120

In Galway you have The Sky Babies who are super talented. They've taken their show to the Galway Theatre Festival to great applaud. They also run a night call Wingin' It where they play with guests.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=567711396585409

Cork has Snatch Comedy who play every Tuesday night and again they're very talented.
    www.twitter.com/snatchcomedy

These are just a few examples but as you can there is a growing scene developing across the country. With Improv Fest Ireland opening on November 15th (it runs for a week), many Irish troupes and intentional troupes will be performing and it's always a great place to see strong improv.
    http://improvfestireland.com/

Aside from the artistic side, improv is a fantastic social outlet. As I mentioned before, it does wonders for confidence, social skills, speaking to influence. The feedback I've had from students goes well beyond learning the skill. I've had people credit improv training to helping them ask someone out on dates, help them deliver presentations, improved their interview skills not too mention the friendships and even the relationships that have formed through taking classes.

When we improvise, be it in class or on stage, we're in this wonderful shared experience where success is achieved through honest collaboration and support. It's an addictive feeling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

faceman wrote: »

I also run a monthly Jam night where people can just turn up and play regardless of experience. It's always a fun night out. We have a Facebook group called "Love! Improv" where people network, share shows etc.
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=184133205085120

Tempting but in an absolutely fcuking terrifying way.

A bit like "I bet you get a great view of the countryside when you do a parachute jump".

Tempting but in an absolutely fcuking terrifying way.

A bit like "I bet you get a great view of the countryside when you do a parachute jump".

It's all about working at the periphery of our comfort zone. That's where the magic happens

When you start improvising you get that nervous feeling in your stomach and you think "OMG I'm about to go on stage and I've no idea what's going to happen. I'm terrified!"

As your experience grows that turns into feeling in your stomach is still there but it's now excitement and you think, "OMG I'm about to go on stage and I've no idea what's going to happen. I'm excited!"

It's highly addictive though. The rush you get on stage and the feeling you get from the audience's response and laughs is truly euphoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SkyBaby

Thanks a million for the name check Faceman :) Yes our monthly night is called Wingin' It, and we welcome visiting improvisers from around the world to play with us in Galway.

What is the most unusual improv show you've ever seen?

Which would you rather have with you in a zombie apocalypse - an improviser or ninja warrior?
    :)

SkyBaby wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the name check Faceman :) Yes our monthly night is called Wingin' It, and we welcome visiting improvisers from around the world to play with us in Galway.

Aww, you guys are great, keep up the great work!
    wrote:
    What is the most unusual improv show you've ever seen?

I don't think anything is unusual in improv but I have seen shows that have had unusual twists/scenarios as well as shows that have an unusual set up.

I've seen a show where one of the cast members gets drunk before the show and then plays alongside his team. Not a format I would be keen on myself!

Recently in Toronto at the Big City Improv Festival, I caught a two person show from New York where the cast members transitioned the scenes via interpretative dance set to music. Interesting format as the dance moves became the scene inspiration as the music faded. "The Raving Jaynes" was the group name.

At the weekend in a mixer show that I was part in the Barcelona Improv Festival, I played alongside a cast of Spanish, Finnish, Israeli, English, Dutch, German and Lativan performers. We called our show "For God" and used books from the bible, selected by the audience, as our inspiration. It ended up being a blend of misinterpreted religious rewriting of the bible blended with modern popular culture!
    wrote:
    Which would you rather have with you in a zombie apocalypse - an improviser or ninja warrior?
    :)

Always an improviser. People will still need to be entertained when the apocalypse comes!

Although I'd likely be one of the first to be turned into a zombie....

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm going to close this up now - thank you so much for your time and the effort in your replies faceman!

Don't forget that Improv Fest Ireland begins on 15th November :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement