Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought house - paper thin walls!

Options
  • 03-11-2015 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

I've just gotten the keys to my new home, a 3 bed duplex apartment.
    Before completion, I was in the property 3 times (2 viewings and again with the surveyor) but 2 of those times were in the afternoon and one around 6pm.

Since getting the keys I've been around to the property a few times (sat afternoon and sunday evening) and on both occasions I noticed a considerable amount of noise coming from the adjoining units. Mostly I'd say this noise was just people doing normal things, like listening to the music and talking. When sitting in the kitchen I could tell that my new neighbours were listening to Damien Rice and then I could hear the neighbours on the other side from my hallway shouting to each other from upstairs to downstairs about someone they knew being on the TV.

Obviously I didnt expect total silence but i equally didnt expect to be able to distinguish what was being said and what music was being listened to. I don't get the impression that my neighbours are being unreasonable, just going about their business, but clearly the property isn't well insulated/soundproofed.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to do anything about it? I'm looking to start decorating soon but am conscious that although i haven't budgeted for this work, now is the time to do it before I start investing in painting, new floors etc as I really don't think I could live with this level of noise on an ongoing basis.

I'd be interested in hearing about possible solutions, costs and suppliers. Also, as I understand it, the work would likely increase the thickness of my walls. How much space should I expect to loose to cater for the new insulation?

I'm not planning on setting up a drum kit in my living room so full on soundproofing (where they add serious thickness to walls) shouldn't be necessary. I simply want to go about my business without being acutely aware of what my neighbours are up to on a constant basis.

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

This website seems to answer your questions.

http://www.pickapro.ie/sound-proofing/sound-proofing-tips.php

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've just gotten the keys to my new home, a 3 bed duplex apartment.
    Before completion, I was in the property 3 times (2 viewings and again with the surveyor) but 2 of those times were in the afternoon and one around 6pm.

Since getting the keys I've been around to the property a few times (sat afternoon and sunday evening) and on both occasions I noticed a considerable amount of noise coming from the adjoining units. Mostly I'd say this noise was just people doing normal things, like listening to the music and talking. When sitting in the kitchen I could tell that my new neighbours were listening to Damien Rice and then I could hear the neighbours on the other side from my hallway shouting to each other from upstairs to downstairs about someone they knew being on the TV.

Obviously I didnt expect total silence but i equally didnt expect to be able to distinguish what was being said and what music was being listened to. I don't get the impression that my neighbours are being unreasonable, just going about their business, but clearly the property isn't well insulated/soundproofed.

Has anyone else had this problem and managed to do anything about it? I'm looking to start decorating soon but am conscious that although i haven't budgeted for this work, now is the time to do it before I start investing in painting, new floors etc as I really don't think I could live with this level of noise on an ongoing basis.

I'd be interested in hearing about possible solutions, costs and suppliers. Also, as I understand it, the work would likely increase the thickness of my walls. How much space should I expect to loose to cater for the new insulation?

I'm not planning on setting up a drum kit in my living room so full on soundproofing (where they add serious thickness to walls) shouldn't be necessary. I simply want to go about my business without being acutely aware of what my neighbours are up to on a constant basis.

All help appreciated!

Soundproofing by adding new layers of plasterboard separated from original brickwork is really the only option here. Expect to pay upwards of €7k though.

You wont get rid of noise completely but will reduce it by about 90%.

Google soundproofing in ireland and u should get a few options.

Noise from adjoining units is unavoidable in ireland unless you have a very old georgian house or detached property (the latter will be my next purchase as i learned the hard way like you)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

I think you'll find when you have fully moved in yourself you wont notice these things. When you have the tv/radio on, have the dishwasher/washing machine on or even having the fridge/freezer and oven on, they make background noise that you won't even notice. You won't notice the neighbours as much. I would settle in first and give it a couple of months, if the situation dosen't improve maybe look at doing something about it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

cheekypup wrote: »
    I think you'll find when you have fully moved in yourself you wont notice these things. When you have the tv/radio on, have the dishwasher/washing machine on or even having the fridge/freezer and oven on, they make background noise that you won't even notice. You won't notice the neighbours as much. I would settle in first and give it a couple of months, if the situation dosen't improve maybe look at doing something about it then.

Yeah only issue with that is that the property was previously rented so kitchen is a bit unloved and generally walls need to be painted as the paint work is scruffy and the carpets have seen better days.

My original plan was to give myself a few weeks grace before I needed to vacate my current rented apartment in which I could get work done on all of the above while the property is empty.

I've lived in plenty of rented apartments over the years so I'm used to noise from other units, but this is really something else. I can clearly hear what they're saying, its as if they're just in the next room in your own house, not in whats supposed to be another property altogether. I think I'm going to have to take the plunge, in the kitchen and living rooms at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Hi SarahMollie

Your post brings back BAD memories for me! I had the same issues a number of years ago now in a semi-d new build house. When I moved in I didn't have any neighbours to begin with but once they moved in I knew I was in trouble. I could hear everything, from them opening a new plastic bag in their kitchen to the phone ringing and not knowing if it was part of the TV program i was watching or was it their phone. And dont get me started when they had friends over for a few drinks or even just for a chat and a cupa tea. I might as well have been in a pub!

In a way I was lucky as the builder was still on site completing the rest of the development so I reported this to him, he asked for my address and counted to 10 and said ah yes your build is above the building standards and all is fine! So it was up to myself to prove it wasn't so I got a sound engineering company to come in and test the sound levels between the two houses and it failed outright !

I got back onto the builder and provided him with the full report and he agreed to fix it and he would get his team in to do the work. Told him no thanks that I wanted to get an independent company in to do the work and for him to foot the bill which he agreed to.

I got a company called Cunas in and they did a great job and the difference it made was well worth it.

Neon

• Advertisement

neonman wrote: »
    Hi SarahMollie

Your post brings back BAD memories for me! I had the same issues a number of years ago now in a semi-d new build house. When I moved in I didn't have any neighbours to begin with but once they moved in I knew I was in trouble. I could hear everything, from them opening a new plastic bag in their kitchen to the phone ringing and not knowing if it was part of the TV program i was watching or was it their phone. And dont get me started when they had friends over for a few drinks or even just for a chat and a cupa tea. I might as well have been in a pub!

In a way I was lucky as the builder was still on site completing the rest of the development so I reported this to him, he asked for my address and counted to 10 and said ah yes your build is above the building standards and all is fine! So it was up to myself to prove it wasn't so I got a sound engineering company to come in and test the sound levels between the two houses and it failed outright !

I got back onto the builder and provided him with the full report and he agreed to fix it and he would get his team in to do the work. Told him no thanks that I wanted to get an independent company in to do the work and for him to foot the bill which he agreed to.

I got a company called Cunas in and they did a great job and the difference it made was well worth it.

Neon

Hi Neon,

Unfortunately this is not a new build so I don't think I've any recourse with the original developer at this point - the development was built in the late 90's.

I've made an appointment for a consultation with Cunas tomorrow after work to see what can be done. Dreading the cost though!

Maybe if I just get the downstairs done it might solve the majority of my problems. the property is mid terrace effectively so thats another compounding factor - I'm getting noise from both sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

If it's mid terrace and has a stairs along most of one side it might be difficult to sound proof on that side because you would be narrowing the width of the stairs.

But you won't spend much time on the stairs/in the corridor anyway so there possibly wouldn't be much point sound-proofing that particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 vrrv

Insulation backed slabs 50mm thick over all, you could run extra cables at the same time if you wanted to add sockets etc! Screw them up and get them plastered! Shouldn't be crazy money! Having radiators on the walls will make it a bit more awkward!

If it's mid terrace and has a stairs along most of one side it might be difficult to sound proof on that side because you would be narrowing the width of the stairs.

But you won't spend much time on the stairs/in the corridor anyway so there possibly wouldn't be much point sound-proofing that particular area.

Yeah I was thinking the same, the stairs are already not the widest and also the benefit to me would be minimal.

I'm thinking of doing the party wall in the kitchen (as I'm planning to rip out the kitchen thats there anyway) and then both sides of the living room as it runs the width of the house.

Also considering the master bedroom but not sure yet on that one. It also runs the width of the house so would need both sides done as per the living room. This would involve ripping out fitted wardrobes which i hadn't planned on doing!

vrrv wrote: »
    Insulation backed slabs 50mm thick over all, you could run extra cables at the same time if you wanted to add sockets etc! Screw them up and get them plastered! Shouldn't be crazy money! Having radiators on the walls will make it a bit more awkward!

There is a storage heater on one wall that would need doing and a fux mantlepiece/electric fire on another :(

• Advertisement

There is a storage heater on one wall that would need doing and a fux mantlepiece/electric fire on another :(

They would be grand what makes radiators difficult to move is the piping to them. if the pipes were coming up through concrete floors you have to kango the floors and put in new elbows to bring out rads. Moving electrical equipment like those is no problem at all. Its not a big job to be honest but would have to see it really but it sounds very straight forward

They would be grand what makes radiators difficult to move is the piping to them. if the pipes were coming up through concrete floors you have to kango the floors and put in new elbows to bring out rads. Moving electrical equipment like those is no problem at all. Its not a big job to be honest but would have to see it really but it sounds very straight forward

Oh good, thats something at least! The one upside to only having electricity in the property!

When is aid faux fireplace I may have been understating it. I've found a picture from when i had the survey done and its pretty solid. I guess in my mind its just not a big deal because its not an actual fireplace or even a gas one, but its still quite the obstacle!

I wouldn't worry about it there would only be a few screws holding that in position I would imagine! You might end up pulling plaster board with you taking it out but won't make a difference considering you are thinking about re-stabbing the walls! Just be mindful that you will have to re-skirt the walls and depending on the type of skirting used you might find it hard to match and have to skirt the whole room (try take it off without breaking it but in my experience it's very difficult to get out without breaking)

They might have stuck it to the wall with gripfill or similar and that's why I think you will pull the plaster board with you when taking it out! It won't be a big deal to take it out in my opinion!

They might have stuck it to the wall with gripfill or similar and that's why I think you will pull the plaster board with you when taking it out! It won't be a big deal to take it out in my opinion!

Oh good, this is starting to sound less bleak! I'd say it will definitely stretch my budget but it will be worth it in the long run if i'm not driven demented by my neighbours!

Such a shame people are allowed to build to such a minimum standard! Im a city girl at heart but it seems like a big house in the country is the only option for a quiet house!

Yea it is very annoying alright, wouldn't have taken an awful lot to get it right when building but doing it now is more bother alright but it all can be done! Hopefully it works out for you 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

Depends on the number of walls you are getting done but yes it isn't cheap BUT it is well worth it if you are planning on living in the new house for years to come but if its a stop gap maybe the return on your investment isn't worth while?

Best of luck let us know how the meeting went.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

cheekypup wrote: »

Some people want to be able to live in a house without having to have the TV/radio on though.

e.g. when reading a book or studying you might not want the radio on.

I live beside an elderly lady who blasts the radio and even leaves it on when she goes out shopping (despite the fact she has an alarm). When I asked her about it she says she "has every right to play the radio as loud as she wants".

After I got the soundproofing job done, the radio was much less audible, although I can still hear the bass notes (harder frequency to block). It's still hard for me to have a nice quiet read while she has it blasting away though. Thankfully it's much more manageable now.

So I disagree that noise from neighbours is something you will get used to and certainly upgrading a property's soundproofing is a worthwhile investment... but I learned my lesson and a detached property is what I'm saving for next...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Hi Sarah,

I live in a 3 bed semi and can hear everything from the neighbour including him drawing his curtains early in the morning, having a shower(I think it must be a power shower) and open and closing doors. I'm lucky he lives alone as I would go crazy if there was a whole family in there. I thought about sound insulation but am not 100% convinced it will work.

Advertisement