Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infected brew?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Any views on whether this brew is in trouble (photo attached)?

It's a bitter (Vicars Remorse) from the Mangrove Jacks range and bottled just over a week ago and placed in the kitchen to condition before moving it into a cooler spot.

Brew took almost 4 weeks to finish as opposed to the circa 10 days on the guide as the specific gravity wouldn't drop to the 1.009 or below recommended but it kept bubbling until a day or two before bottling so wasn't too concerned and last time I made this it was the same and turned out really well. I maintained the temp in the 22-24C range during fermentation.

Has cleared well but in the last day have noticed a yeast like formation at the top of the bottle. I used carbonation drops for the first time instead of priming sugar but wouldn't have thought this would have caused any issue?

Is it destined for the drains?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The only way to know if a beer is undrinkable or not is to put it in your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

BeerNut wrote: »
    The only way to know if a beer is undrinkable or not is to put it in your mouth.

Well sometimes if its really bad, you can smell it...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭neoanto

It looks infected. Doesnt mean its bad though.
    I've had an ale that was infected and tasted great!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Well sometimes if its really bad, you can smell it...
    I've encountered homebrews that have smelled awful but tasted fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

As long as I'm not going to end up driving the porcelain truck from drinking it I think it's a risk I'm prepared to take.

If it tastes okay I'll persevere.

Thanks for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Did it look like that before bottling, could crash cool might help. If you re unlucky enough to have an infection it may just be the bottle. Do all the bottles look like this. Is it carbonated?

That's a clear bottle is it in a light space by any chance, i only use brown bottles as light effects beer so wouldn't notice this in a bottle myself. Like those speckled hens myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Looked fine before bottling and I have a mix of bottles but most of them are either brown or green. Seems most if not all of them have this which would indicate something going wrong at the bottling stage or just before it as the main brew looked fine.

I've left it outside for a few days now for conditioning so will crack open a bottle and see what its like.

Advertisement