Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The LEFT and Irish Farming

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭kk.man

The land commission was rife with favouritism. The heads were political appointments which was the root of all evil. I know one guy who hadn't a perch to his name. He bought a field and ended up 'swapping' it for a fifty acre farm off a estate.
    Some did well some didn't. I know one guy who got 40 acres at the edge of a town and now his son farms 200 acres plus further out the country side.
    I think Willie Penrose and Jack Wall understood farming as they came from one. They were good labour party tds. They were never going to be a minster of agriculture in a big party led coalition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

mf240 wrote: »
    Just opportunistic populism.
    No it's unfashionable with their base, if that's the right way of putting it. Also going against party ethos in at least some cases. Revolutionary ideas, looking g at where ghey're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

none of the political parties have delivered for farmers FF and FG have done nothing to keep farm gate prices in line with inflation, taken lumps out of our direct payments and loaded us with rules and regulations.
    I wish a significant number of articulate intelligent farmers would join labour and the greens to influence policy and rattle the status quo .
    a couple of hundred votes in each constituency could really put the sh1tz running

ironically Brittany in france the rural vote tends to be left of centre yet in Ireland a left rural vote is rare and tends to be personality driven . Of coarse FF (well bertie was a socalist:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Are the Greens part of the left?

One stop short of communists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

riemann wrote: »
    Their answer to everything is increase taxes. This hits the poor much harder than others.

Their demographic is NIMBY middle class dogooders who spend most of their time parading around on their bicycles in Ranelagh to collect their daily supply of avacados in Fallon and Byrne (fresh from South America) , to try out a recepie they seen in a vegan cookbook picked up on one of their all two frequent "short weekend breaks" across Europe.

Preaching to the rest of us that we're destroying the world and should go back to a more sustainable way of farming which their non binary cis gendered son/daughter Lesley will happily explain to you as they spent a summer building mud huts with a tribe in Sudan and thus have it all figured out.

For what's its worth I would agree with a green agenda in so far as a philosophy of "first do no harm", but the reality is people want and expect cheap food. In a lot of cases it's not hard to understand why as many people are squeezed from all sides so will cut costs any way they can.

Going green is a rich person's pursuit in the current climate.

This. Exactly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement