Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DPD Parcel Wizard - DPD Pickup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Why would you use parcel motel to nominated address for 7.95 if you can get it with DPD for free/3.85 ?

With Parcelmotel you have to guess when it will arrive, with DPD you know when it arrives because you get a 1 hour delivery window assigned plus you could use the other parcelwizzard options to customize the delivery further.

I wasn't saying to use it as such, I was only pointing out its a service from Parcel Motel too as some peeps don't like using DPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

With Parcelmotel you have to guess when it will arrive, with DPD you know when it arrives because you get a 1 hour delivery window assigned plus you could use the other parcelwizzard options to customize the delivery further.

I've been able to pick up parcel motel deliveries on a Saturday night and I've also had to to spend two hours stuck in traffic and an afternoon off work to pick up a parcel from the DPD depot because without anyone at home during the day to receive a delivery, its pointless to have a delivery window in normal working hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Why would you use parcel motel to nominated address for 7.95 if you can get it with DPD for free/3.85 ?

I am guessing DPD will really put pressure on the €7.95 PM service - there is no way it can compete with the DPD price for essentially the same service. The normal service - delivery to a locker and collection 24/7 still offers a USP over DPD that will attract many - in the same way that the DPD service offers home delivery that will be an advantage for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I am guessing DPD will really put pressure on the €7.95 PM service - there is no way it can compete with the DPD price for essentially the same service. The normal service - delivery to a locker and collection 24/7 still offers a USP over DPD that will attract many - in the same way that the DPD service offers home delivery that will be an advantage for others.

It's not actually 7.95 though for PM home delivery. It's 3.95 + 7.95 = €11.90 for PM home delivery. There is no way PM can compete on this level and their market will solely be lockers for those who can't manage home deliveries

DPD depot is beside my workplace too which means that depot collection is more than suitable when home delivery is not. I can't see myself using PM anymore unless there are problems with the DPD service.

My only concern relates to oversize packages. PM are transparent on their charges but the PW service is not. I'd be concerned about say for example Amazon shipping in their usual massively oversized boxes where dimensional weight could kick in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

zarquon wrote: »
    It's not actually 7.95 though for PM home delivery. It's 3.95 + 7.95 = €11.90 for PM home delivery. There is no way PM can compete on this level and their market will solely be lockers for those who can't manage home deliveries

DPD depot is beside my workplace too which means that depot collection is more than suitable when home delivery is not. I can't see myself using PM anymore unless there are problems with the DPD service.

My only concern relates to oversize packages. PM are transparent on their charges but the PW service is not. I'd be concerned about say for example Amazon shipping in their usual massively oversized boxes where dimensional weight could kick in

That's not how I understand it. Those prices are for overweight/oversized parcels. Their separate Home Delivery service starts at €7.95 per parcel, up to 41 × 38 × 64 cm and max weight of 10kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Corholio wrote: »
    That's not how I understand it. Those prices are for overweight/oversized parcels. Their separate Home Delivery service starts at €7.95 per parcel, up to 41 × 38 × 64 cm and max weight of 10kg.
    Even still that's 4euro more than Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

This is like comparing apples and bananas.

The services are different, one is the offer to have pickup in a locker and the other one is home delivery.

PM functions for those who can not take delivery of a parcel when normal delivery companies are delivering by offering you to have a parcel send to one of their addresses (up north and Dublin) and than putting it into a locker where you can collect it. In addition they offer a "home address delivery" for 7.95 which instead re-directs the parcel to your home.

DPD functions for those who are either at home or want to have the parcel delivered to an alternative address (which can be defined day by day in the calendar) and is offering an up north address but also works with any other parcel shipped with DPD (even from outside the country). For the up north address they charge 3.85, the re-direct to other addresses/deliver later/collect for other parcels is free.

PM is a good thing for being able to collect while DPD is good for being able to receive it at home. Each addresses individual needs.

However I can not see the PM "Home Address Delivery" going on for long as it is more expensive than DPD and less flexible. However PM might continue with it as it is a logic add on.

My local DPD depot is great, they stick to the times and follow my wishes in the Parcelwizzard to a t, but I know that other depots might not be as good.

Now the bad thing about the DPD service is that it's unclear what oversized parcels are costing due to the fact that they don't publish price lists. I hope they address that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I dont see any mention of insurance cover for lost items.PM give you the option of buying extra cover for items over €100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

NATLOR wrote: »
    I dont see any mention of insurance cover for lost items.PM give you the option of buying extra cover for items over €100

And take about 5 months to pay out should they even bother claiming responsibility.

By the way, DPD cover up to €100 or the cost of replacement goods.

Detailed on their FAQ page: https://www.dpdparcelwizard.ie/Help-FAQ/faqcategory/-1/CurrentPage/3

2015_11_06_09_46_56.jpg

How do i setup a payment method to pay for future deliveries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Got a text. My delivery is due Monday . seems you can reply to the text with the date you might change it to so reply 11/11 etc or go online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Berty wrote: »
    Got a text. My delivery is due Monday . seems you can reply to the text with the date you might change it to so reply 11/11 etc or go online.

yeah that is the parcelwizzard feature. You can also go online and change the delivery address if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Ordered with Amazom prime last Wednesday, got the text today for 2pm-3pm delivery. We'll see!

Only thing I'll miss is the PM orders being collected on a Saturday. DPD don't have a weekend service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Berty wrote: »
    yeah that is the parcelwizzard feature. You can also go online and change the delivery address if needed.

Just got a text too.
    Your DPD PARCEL WIZARD order will be delivered by DPD 09/11/2015 to [address]. To change delivery details reply 1 for 10/11, 2 for 11/11, 3 for 12/11 or visit www.dpd.ie/deliver using ref. ********

Very handy. I think that text is just a standard DPD feature as opposed to the Parcel Wizard calendar.

Only thing I'll miss is the PM orders being collected on a Saturday. DPD don't have a weekend service.
    I think you can collect from their depot for an hour or two on Saturday mornings if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭IrishBlaine

Just got a text too.

Very handy. I think that text is just a standard DPD feature as opposed to the Parcel Wizard calendar.

When did you order?

When did you order?

Wednesday. No tracking information but delivery was 2-5 days so I presume it got delivered to Mallusk today.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭IrishBlaine

Wednesday. No tracking information but delivery was 2-5 days so I presume it got delivered to Mallusk today.

Quick service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

PM just got back to me about the email they sent advertising the €4.50 bonus as 'exclusive' - they said they had sent the email to notify users the promo was ending for good this Sunday! Crazy!

• Advertisement

Will probably try out Parcel Wizard for a few things, seems handy to get the odd thing delivered to the house. Surprised at the criticism of Parcel Motels pricing though, even though the cost was put up once since it's start, it's still very good imo. Otherwise you'd be at the mercy of UK postage costs to Ireland or have to be home for a delivery if getting through Parcel Wizard. Both are good services, but different.

Corholio wrote: »
    Will probably try out Parcel Wizard for a few things, seems handy to get the odd thing delivered to the house. Surprised at the criticism of Parcel Motels pricing though, even though the cost was put up once since it's start, it's still very good imo. Otherwise you'd be at the mercy of UK postage costs to Ireland or have to be home for a delivery if getting through Parcel Wizard. Both are good services, but different.
    I think they priced it up with no competition in mind and I'd expect to see a few more offers in the future. If they're ending the promo this Sunday I presume it's with the intention of providing better promotions in the near future. They noticed a gap in the market for deliveries from the UK and went with it. Obviously they couldn't work a competitive price to deliver directly to our doors but a few metal boxes in petrol stations kept it workable for them. It will of course still suit those who live very close or pass one on the way to work.
    For everyone else there's now Parcel Connect or now Parcel Wizard. How DPD are managing to deliver directly for such a low price I'm not sure but they are. And to add to that they have a very clever and customer friendly Calendar function giving us great control over our deliveries. And of course on the day they'll even give us an estimated delivery time.

Parcel Motel launched and advertised very well but they're now miles behind Parcel Wizard. It will still suit some but for the majority of people the best option now lies elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    As regards their costs being higher - I'd imagine it costs a fair bit to either initially set up and/or buy/lease those parcel motel lockers. Who knows what the deal is with their co-location costs either. Bound to be a fairly intensive task to manage them all. Plus as PM are part of Nightline they also have all the delivery van and associated costs.

Whereas PC (Fastway) and PW (DPD) just have to get deliveries down from the North to a depot and then to a drop off store/address, using their existing vans which are already on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Techmaster wrote: »
    PM just got back to me about the email they sent advertising the €4.50 bonus as 'exclusive' - they said they had sent the email to notify users the promo was ending for good this Sunday! Crazy!

It does sound crazy but maybe they are trying to suck a few people in before announcing a better promotion this side of Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

I still think parcel motel offers the advantage that you can collect whenever suits you, in case you are not at home or can't get stuff delivered in work

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Just received my order there :) Ordered wednesday.

Parcel Motel launched and advertised very well but they're now miles behind Parcel Wizard. It will still suit some but for the majority of people the best option now lies elsewhere.

I'ts great to see competition but don't know how you can say they are miles behind them when Parcel Wizard are barely up and running with this service. I'll definitely be using it but will also be using Parcel Motel, as it's a different kind of service and more convenient for a lot of people.

Also does anyone know future deliveries will work when you will pay? Is there any automatic payment system like Parcel Motel?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    As regards their costs being higher - I'd imagine it costs a fair bit to either initially set up and/or buy/lease those parcel motel lockers. Who knows what the deal is with their co-location costs either. Bound to be a fairly intensive task to manage them all. Plus as PM are part of Nightline they also have all the delivery van and associated costs.

Whereas PC (Fastway) and PW (DPD) just have to get deliveries down from the North to a depot and then to a drop off store/address, using their existing vans which are already on the road.

Well both Nightline (PM) and DPD (PW) are existing delivery companies, so they both likely already had depots in both Northern Ireland and Dublin and probably had trucks going between them every night anyway, so it is a wash from that aspect.

BTW this also explains why it is a profitable business to start these services, they are likely just using empty capacity in their existing depots and trucks.

Where they diverge is the last mile delivery.

On the one hand PM uses lockers, while PW uses delivery vans.

PM has to buy lockers and pay companies to locate them on. But then they save money as they likely need far less drivers and vans to make deliveries to the lockers versus individuals homes like PW.

On balance I expect PM's cost per parcel are less then PW as the biggest cost of doing business tends to be wages and I expect PW's setup requires a lot more drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

bk wrote: »

On balance I expect PM's cost per parcel are less then PW as the biggest cost of doing business tends to be wages and I expect PW's setup requires a lot more drivers.

If you break PM separately out from the parent Nightline, then yes.

• Advertisement

One other benefit of Parcel Motel is the ability to send parcels from locker to locker, I've saved a lot of money doing that compared to postage rates.

Advertisement