Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build, suggestions?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm putting together a new build, gaming rig with a budget of around 1k.

This is what i've put together via hardwareversand to get an idea on overall prices but i'm not 100% sure on what hardware would be better value.

I will be keeping my old 120gb SSD for the moment, I'm open to suggestions and keeping my current 1TB HDD to go along with the one added to the list

OS will be Win7 x64, i added extra ram as i've had experiences of ram sticks dying twice so the extra ram would be a nice back up.

I currently have a monster of a cooler master case that's about 5+ years old now so I added a case to see how the price stacks up.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

HV20469KDE Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150 238,99 €

HV1138RODE ASRock Z97 Extreme3, Sockel 1150, ATX 120,99 €

HV20MI48DE 8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    41,99 €

HV20MI48DE 8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 41,99 €

HV203FE5DE FRACTAL DESIGN Define R5 Black, ATX, ohne Netzteil 107,99 €

HVR552CSDE Corsair VS Serie VS550, Non-Modular, 80+ 46,99 €

HV1040MFDE MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G, 4GB GDDR5 354,99 €

HV13SB71DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 46,99 €

HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau 29,99 €

Total value: 1.030,91 €

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Nice solid build. Only thing I'd probably change is Psu the power supply. drop another 10 euro go with be quiet 500 think 59 euro.

Don't use hardwareversand. they're no longer a reliable source.

Mindfactory.De good prices (don't get case here if using them, it increases delivery)
    . Computer universe.. Amazon. De/UK... overclockers.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Nice solid build. Only thing I'd probably change is Psu the power supply. drop another 10 euro go with be quiet 500 think 59 euro.

Don't use hardwareversand. they're no longer a reliable source.

Mindfactory.De good prices (don't get case here if using them, it increases delivery)
    . Computer universe.. Amazon. De/UK... overclockers.uk

In what sense are they unreliable? I suppose the last time i bought from them was nearly 3 years ago now

I'll have a look at the other retailers you've mentioned, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pyr0 wrote: »
    In what sense are they unreliable?

They went into administration recently & for the week beforehand they'd purposefully removed the PayPal option and poked people towards paying by bank transfer. When they declared themselves insolvent all of the money paid via bank transfer was non-refundable and the people who's money it was got nothing in return as they're at the bottom of a very long list of debts to be paid.

Implicitly guiding people towards bank transfers as a method of paying their newfound catastrophic debt towards PayPal and CC companies might be seen as a standard end-of-business move but it's the ultimate in scumbaggery in my opinion and I hope the company fails again and it couldn't be soon enough.
    They've been a bad value for years, they were only popular here because they were cheapest up until 2011/2012 and after that not many people bothered to check the rest of the market and fell into a kind of "boardsies heart HWVS" brand-loyalty rut.

grindle wrote: »
    They went into administration recently & for the week beforehand they'd purposefully removed the PayPal option and poked people towards paying by bank transfer. When they declared themselves insolvent all of the money paid via bank transfer was non-refundable and the people who's money it was got nothing in return as they're at the bottom of a very long list of debts to be paid.

Implicitly guiding people towards bank transfers as a method of paying their newfound catastrophic debt towards PayPal and CC companies might be seen as a standard end-of-business move but it's the ultimate in scumbaggery in my opinion and I hope the company fails again and it couldn't be soon enough.
    They've been a bad value for years, they were only popular here because they were cheapest up until 2011/2012 and after that not many people bothered to check the rest of the market and fell into a kind of "boardsies heart HWVS" brand-loyalty rut.

Dodge central alright, cheers for the heads up, wouldn't have known otherwise!

Just a question about the PSU, would 500 be enough to power the set up without any worries?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Just a question about the PSU, would 500 be enough to power the set up without any worries?

It would - not much headroom for extreme overclocking of the GPU and CPU together but I'm not sure if that's a plan of yours.
    CPU overclock + gentle overclock of the GPU would still leave a good bit of room.

Try to find a good price on either a tier 1 or 2 PSU from this list.

You can usually find one in the €50-€65 somewhere and you'll know your PC isn't powered by something made from tinfoil and toilet paper.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    It would - not much headroom for extreme overclocking of the GPU and CPU together but I'm not sure if that's a plan of yours.
    CPU overclock + gentle overclock of the GPU would still leave a good bit of room.

Try to find a good price on either a tier 1 or 2 PSU from this list.

You can usually find one in the €50-€65 somewhere and you'll know your PC isn't powered by something made from tinfoil and toilet paper.

Yeah overclocking wouldn't really be my thing but it's good to know i have a bit of wiggle room if that did change.

Cheers for the link, I've always been a bit clueless when it came to PSUs and quality.

Advertisement