Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year old wetting herself in school

Options
  • 03-11-2015 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys. My 4 and a half year old daughter is toilet trained the past 2 years. She started school in September having being in preschool the previous year with no issues. In the past month however she is coming home from school and wetting herself the minute she gets into the car. She has wet herself twice in school where the teacher phoned home as she wouldn't let anybody change her. This is so unlike her and I cannot understand it as she has no issues using other people's bathrooms. She won't talk about it at all but before midterm I spoke to the teacher who said she never goes to tbhe bathroom at school and she would ask her each day to remind her. Yesterday after she came home we5 she told me she didn't know where the toilets were so this morning I went with her and got her teacher to show her and she came home wet again this evening (so she was just using not knowing where toilets were as an excuse). I am doing my best not to get annoyed with her but I cannot understand it or why she is doing it as once she comes home/ at weekends she uses bathroom no problem. Can anybody give me an insight into what's going on with her or what I could do to help her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Hi, similar thing happened with my fella last year when he started junior infants. He gets collected by the creche and many times when the lady from the creche would pick him up she would find he had wet himself. The teacher did not notice, so I think he was doing it at the very end of the day. I just kept reminding him to go to the toilet and it stopped completely before Christmas when he had settled in fully. I thought at the time he was just anxious and not fully settled in the new school and a bit scared to ask to go to the toilet. I didn't worry about it, I have a twin brother and remember him doing the same thing in senior infants, even when I would remind him to go to the toilet before the prayers. Don't really have any advice but just wanted to let you know she is not the only child this happens too and she will grow out of it when she gets more comfortable in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My 5 year old also started school and although he has not wet himself at school, he has wet himself a few times at home , basically because he was 'too busy' to go to the toilet. He was afraid of missing something when someone was visiting, or he was playing a game he liked or watching something he loves on tv. I would ask him if he needed to go and he said no, but I could see that he did. Then he would leave it too late and have an accident.
    I don't know the solution to your problem but could it be that she doesn't want to miss something? Could you tell her that she has to go to the toilet every day at 1st break, even if she thinks she doesn't have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭daisydood

Ah guys thanks so much for yere replies it's some reassurance I'm not the only one going through this. I did think it could be something like not wanting to miss something but as she is quite a shy reserved child I'm now wondering would it be she just doesn't want to ask. I'm not really sure I think I may speak with teacher again - I'm lucky she's very approachable so that's a plus. Thanks for yere help guys x

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd get her checked in case of a UTI. I'd also speak to the teacher again and then see if you can bring your little lady in at the end so both you and teacher can "remind her" that she can use the loo when she needs it- so then at least you will all know how it works ad she won't be confused about the procedure at school.

Advertisement