Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance newbie

Options
  • 03-11-2015 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who's renting her house and she's had a number of enquiries from people looking for rent allowance. She's worried about the RA limit. The rent for the house is higher than the RA cap. She's had some people say they will pay the difference, which I thought wasn't allowed. Other people have told her they have been approved up to €1200 by the DSP. I had thought the most anyone could get was around €850 or €900.
    Any help or information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Effects wrote: »
    I have a friend who's renting her house and she's had a number of enquiries from people looking for rent allowance. She's worried about the RA limit. The rent for the house is higher than the RA cap. She's had some people say they will pay the difference, which I thought wasn't allowed. Other people have told her they have been approved up to €1200 by the DSP. I had thought the most anyone could get was around €850 or €900.
    Any help or information would be appreciated.

The DSP doesn't approve 1200 or anything like it .
    And yes they cannot top up there rent either .

If people are saying that I'd avoid them like the plague.

The most they will get is €800pm after you take there weekly contribution of € 30 pw

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Rent Allowance Caps (are by area and amount people in household)
    https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Maximum-Rent-Limits-by-County.aspx
    Some CWO's can allow more on a case by case but get it writing they approved for more also topping up is not allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Gatling wrote: »
    The DSP doesn't approve 1200 or anything like it .
    And yes they cannot top up there rent either .

If people are saying that I'd avoid them like the plague.

The most they will get is €800pm after you take there weekly contribution of € 30 pw

In certain circumstances yes the DSP can award a higher rent allowance cap to a family, so €1,200 is completely plausible.

What has to be understood though is that the DSP don't pay the full amount of Rent Supplement to the landlord, they pay the lions share and then the tenant has their own contribution to pay (usually around 30 euro pw, I know I pay more than 30 euro pw though).

Be totally careful with people saying they'll make up the rest themselves, the landlord has to provide a lease with the rental amount on it to the DSP. Whatever amount is on that lease is the only amount the tenant then has to pay, legally they don't have to pay what's over on the rent so the landlord can be left high and dry if the tenant just decides to stop paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

if she can get a working tenant go with them. less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

In the real world the vast majority of RA tenants do pay top up. This is not allowed but the system is a horrible mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Thanks for the replies, I've passed on the information to my friend. Luckily there's a good few people interested in the house so she has a decent choice of tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Of course not. My father has a tenant with a severely disabled son and has had other deserving people on RA.

Able bodied families capable of working but choosing not to I wouldn't entertain. I'd also be suspicious of any single people or single parents, regardless of how many are genuine. Way too many filthbags out there no no respect for anybody else's property.

Advertisement