Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathons in Jaunary February 2016?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

I am looking to do a marathon in Jan or early Feb 2016. Would prefer an Irish one as I would imagine that registration would be closed for most of the bigger international ones.

Any recommendations or link to where I can get info on smaller Irish/or international marathons?

Cheers

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Looking at this too. Only one in Ireland is early march in Tralee. Seville has one in February. Looks like the only option although I might go for early march. Should really be more choice, love winter running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Rick Ford

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Looking at this too. Only one in Ireland is early march in Tralee. Seville has one in February. Looks like the only option although I might go for early march. Should really be more choice, love winter running.
    Lock up year canal marathon 31 dec @le cheile
    Staplestown marathon last week end in january..Eoi
    Donadea 50k 13th feb
    Few more on Eoi site and mci site

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

+1 on the Tralee one. It may be 2 weeks outside of your timeframe, but one of the better events on the calendar.

Good testing route too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

A provisional list of MCI marathons is here:
    http://marathonclubireland.asocion.com/2016-marathons-provisional/

Because they are mostly self-sufficient I would generally recommend them to an experienced marathon runner only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

+1 on the Tralee one. It may be 2 weeks outside of your timeframe, but one of the better events on the calendar.

Good testing route too.

I did Tralee this year but have a wedding that weekend in 2016 otherwise I would definitely be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Seville.......Seville.....Seville

Late February.
    Can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Seville.......Seville.....Seville

Late February.
    Can't recommend it enough.

+10000000000000

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

What's the course like for this? Reasonably flat?

• Advertisement

What's the course like for this? Reasonably flat?

It's in Staplestown. There are no hills anywhere near Staplestown!

It's in Staplestown. There are no hills anywhere near Staplestown!

Anyone have a garmin link for the course?

Couldn't find anything googling it. From photos it looks like it is maybe multiple loops?

Anyone have a garmin link for the course?

Couldn't find anything googling it. From photos it looks like it is maybe multiple loops?

EOI marathons are always multiple loops for organisational reasons. Don't let that put you off, though.

I did the race back in 2014 when they also had a 50 mile option, which basically meant twice as many loops. As far as I know the marathon is still held over the same course (correct me if that's wrong, please).

Garmin track from that race is here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/501346290

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

EOI marathons are always multiple loops for organisational reasons. Don't let that put you off, though.

I did the race back in 2014 when they also had a 50 mile option, which basically meant twice as many loops. As far as I know the marathon is still held over the same course (correct me if that's wrong, please).

Garmin track from that race is here: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/501346290

Signed up for this myself so thanks for the track, just a few less laps for me thankfully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

In case you are not aware, the recent Clonakilty marathon was rescheduled and will now take place on 6 Feb.

Cheers.

I've done 26 loops in Sixmilebridge previously so I don't mind loops at all.

Weather permitting, I'll definitely be doing this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Malta at the end of Feb 2016 might be an option. Downhill section too I believe.

http://www.maltamarathon.com/2016_vodafone_malta_marathon_half_marathon_walkathon_28th_february.htm

Pop in and say "hiya" to local resident <redacted> if you do it.

other marathons in Europe are here: http://www.marathonrunnersdiary.com/races/europe-marathons-list.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Staplestown marathon:
    Does anyone know if there is somewhere safe to leave your drinks etc on the course to pick up as you do the loops? (marathon course)
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Ososlo wrote: »
    Staplestown marathon:
    Does anyone know if there is somewhere safe to leave your drinks etc on the course to pick up as you do the loops? (marathon course)
    thanks

There was a water station with a table last year. Somewhere around there would work. Some people had parked along the route in the village last year & left stuff on their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Staplestown Marathon did this one last year & a mate of mine did it this year. He's not on here but I think the organisers pop in from time to time. Just wanted to pass on that he thought it was a really well organised event - same as my experience last year. Hope to make one of the events a little later in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

kit3 wrote: »
    Staplestown Marathon did this one last year & a mate of mine did it this year. He's not on here but I think the organisers pop in from time to time. Just wanted to pass on that he thought it was a really well organised event - same as my experience last year. Hope to make one of the events a little later in the year.

Was there myself at the w/end & would echo the above. Nice event & they've now added half & 10k distances which should widen the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

opus wrote: »
    Was there myself at the w/end & would echo the above. Nice event & they've now added half & 10k distances which should widen the appeal.

This was my first EOI event and it will not be my last. Very relaxed atmosphere with people of all ages & abilities who were all very welcoming. Run by sound lads who seem to love what they are doing.

The course was fair. For the marathon it was 1 mile out & back at the start followed by 4 laps of slightly over 6 miles. miles 2 & 3 has pretty long drags but they were followed by fast enough sections for the rest of the route.

I may not run any more marathons for the year but I will 100% try and get as many of the halfs/10ks in when they are an option.

Advertisement