Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Hotel extra charges

Options
  • 03-11-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

I just booked a Hotel in New York for the New Years period for a total of 8 nights. Can’t believe the price of hotels there but decided to spend beyond my budget for something decent. Only after the booking I realised there’s 14.75% tax / room rental and $3.5 dollars per night on top of the costs. In addition there’s extra charges ($27.21 per night) that the hotel adds on to enable extra amenities such as free wifi, free long distance calls and gym which appears I don’t have a choice but to pay regardless if I use or not.

Am I entitled to claim back the taxes on the hotel at a later point? What taxes am I entitled to claim back?

This trip is overly expenses to the point my spending money when I’m over there is now minimal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

nope - the taxes are city/state taxes. There is no such thing as VAT in the US, so you have to pay it without being able to claim it back.

NY is extremely expensive for hotels. I usually stay in Brooklyn if I need to hotel there.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Many cities have introduced taxes that clients pay to the hotel. I was working in a Travel Agent and we had clients all over world calling us, denying to pay, saying that the price was payed. TAs, cannot collect that money, they are payed on the spot.

http://www.aph.com/community/know-before-you-go/hotel-tax-rates-in-european-cities/
    http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/understanding-hotel-taxes
    http://fortune.com/2015/08/03/travel-taxes-summer-vacation/
    https://www.roomex.com/news/news-update-city-taxes-information/175

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Have you paid or just booked? If only booked you could cancel and find somewhere within your budget. The 14.75% tax + 3.50 is right but nowadays the other services should be free. or at least optional

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

It’s booked and non-refundable.
    I seem to learn the hard way all the time. The facility fee is ridiculous, they state it’s a requirement to pay it but for 8 nights, $217.68 is a lot of mula. I have to make a case not to pay it.

Green Mile wrote: »
    I have to make a case not to pay it.
    If you booked directly via the hotel, not much you can do.
    However, if you booked via an online engine (booking.com, travelocity, etc) you can complain to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

I booked through an engine. I don't think complaining to booking.com will end with a result as it's the hotel who charge for this.

The facility fee should have been made clear when booking, I do agree with that as it would have altered my decision to choose that hotel, but it's the hotel who have the decision on the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Unfortunate that you weren't aware of it. I think it started with Las Vegas hotels a few years back. I'd definitely check the booking.com ad to see if it was mentioned and look for some redress if it isn't

Green Mile wrote: »
    I booked through an engine. I don't think complaining to booking.com will end with a result as it's the hotel who charge for this.

The facility fee should have been made clear when booking, I do agree with that as it would have altered my decision to choose that hotel, but it's the hotel who have the decision on the charge.
    If it wasn't clear throughout the booking process, or it is a fee the hotel charges on spot that wasn't clearly mentioned, then booking.com is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Wizard! wrote: »
    If it wasn't clear throughout the booking process, or it is a fee the hotel charges on spot that wasn't clearly mentioned, then booking.com is responsible.

It's very clear on the confirmation page.
    Tax (14.75%) not included
    City tax (US$ 3.50 per night) not included

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Anything about the service charge?

Tax is a separate issue IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Dodge wrote: »
    Anything about the service charge?

Tax is a separate issue IMO

Yeah. If you pick a hotel with resort charges, then
    Prices are per room for 5 nights
    Not included: US$ 21.78 resort fee per night, US$ 3.50 City tax per night, 14.75 % Tax.

Advertisement