Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTWEA for Spouse

Options
  • 03-11-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

For the last few months I have been wanting to set up my own graphic design and web development business. I honed my skills to be at a professional level and added some new relevant skills to make me a well rounded designer. I tried for over a month to schedule a meeting with the business liaison officer for my area and finally got a meeting last week. The man seemed impressed with the skills I had accumulated and felt I would have a strong chance of succeeding. For me it all hinged on wether or not I could get the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance in order to keep the financial aid of Jobseeker's Allowance while finding my feet as a business. Unfortunately as I have been listed as a dependent under my spouse I am not eligible for the scheme and the hopes of starting my own business will have to be put on hold for 12 months until I have been claiming independently for a year. Has anyone else had this happen to them and have they been able to set up the company in their spouses name so they could avail of the scheme? We have savings but not enough to keep us afloat for long in case things don't work out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi lambda Core

I understand your dilema. However the BTWA should not be a reason for starting or not starting on a business. It should only be just one small aspect to your decision.

If the business is viable enough then it should be able to provide you with a source of income and a means of making a living. If it cannot do this then you have to look into whether it is worth doing.

So the real question that you should ask is whether or not you can get sufficient clients to build your business up. Where and how are you going to get the word out that you are available to do the service you propose. What are all of your costs.

If it turns out that the business is in any way viable then you should and will be in a better position income wise even if you loose the BTWA.

You need to start thinking positively about your own abilities and what you are capable of. Of course it is not going to be easy and it is a tough market to get into. But it is a matter of whether you are prepared to take the risk and put the time in. Not whether or not you will keep the BTWA

Best of luck with it.

dbran

Advertisement