Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should i get a new microwave?

Options
  • 03-11-2015 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Our microwave has died after about 10 years...

we don't use it very often, mostly just for popcorn and heating up bits and pieces.

I do a fair amount of cooking and use a Waterford Stanley double oven / gas hob and was wondering whether the new microwaves are worth getting, some of them look as if they double as ovens and grills etc..which would be useful around big meals /family occasions

any comments would be great.....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The worst microwave I ever had was an expensive combination one - I used the grill part once for sausages and the cleaning took longer than the cooking. The microwave function didn't cook popcorn properly at all even though it was 900w. Now I have a microwave that cost €75 and it has a popcorn button, and it's great. Like you I only use it for popcorn and heating stuff. I'd never buy an expensive one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

If you have a working oven there isn't much point in getting a combi microwave. Just go for the highest power you can have for cheap enough and you should be fine. Some of them have a feature where you can press the start button a few times to increase the timer, instead of setting it the long way. I find that very useful.

I do a lot of cooking (as opposed to just reheating) using the microwave, but I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money on one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I haven't had a microwave in over a year and I haven't missed it in the slightest. Apart from quickly reheating food, I can't see the benefit to it. I cook popcorn on the stove, and I use the [considerable] space it would take up for better things :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Faith wrote: »
    I haven't had a microwave in over a year and I haven't missed it in the slightest. Apart from quickly reheating food, I can't see the benefit to it. I cook popcorn on the stove, and I use the [considerable] space it would take up for better things :)
    I make my morning porridge with it; I'd miss it for that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Melendez wrote: »

Different foods cook better at different power settings in the microwave, which is why it's better to have a wide range. If you're only reheating food it probably doesn't matter too much, other than that some liquids reheat just as well on the highest setting but taking less time.

Most times I need to cook potatoes whole I will just microwave them. They take a lot longer if not done at the highest setting, while the quality is still the same. I find steamed broccoli cooks better at the highest power. At the same time, there are a good few sauces that I wouldn't dream of cooking at the highest setting because they would turn into a goopy uneven mess. And if you don't know what you're doing, most things won't cook properly at all. It happens! :o

Obviously if you only ever reheat food and do no cooking with it at all, it's not really a big deal, but if you can save yourself time while still not paying a lot of money, I don't see why you wouldn't.

Melendez wrote: »
    I don't disagree with any of that. It actually is the same point I was making. If you only are only using for reheating, get a cheapo.

If you intend microwaving the christmas turkey, then you might want something better.

Oh, what I meant is that if you have €x as your budget, get the highest power you find within that budget. Not that you should spend more to have higher power settings, or extra features or anything!

I think we're mostly saying the same thing haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 florenceg

Got a microweave many years ago with all the bells and whistles...what a waste of money. Now we but one..not to cheap but fairly attractive and all under a 100 euro. What a look in Power City and Harvey Normans or any of the electrical shops as they have them on the stands. Always somebody to give advice and make the purchase simple. Good look. Use ours to heat soup and make porridge and maybe heat the baby food.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

With a gas cooker I don't see the need for a microwave at all.
    The gas cooker is very fast and can be used to reheat or do popcorn etc.

Try to manage without for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'd agree with the posters above, that fancy-pants micros aren't necessary. They tend to be over-designed - most people use a simple micro for lots of small jobs.

Reheating a plateful that was kept for a latecomer.
    Quick porridge
    Cup of hot milk for drinking chocolate
    Soften stiff honey for mixing with yogurt
    Cook certain dishes, like mushrooms, without adding too much fat/butter/oil to them.
    Canned soup or beans for a quick lunch.
    Etc etc

Often the advantage is that you won't have to wash a saucepan - the micro heats food in the plate or cup that you will eat or drink out of.

I love mine and use it often, but I've had a fair few over the years. They don't last for ever. Now I just get the smallest and simplest that will fit the dishes I'm likely to use in it, and a decent high wattage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

katemarch how do you cook mushrooms in a microwave? I'm curious! I've never tried it, I love mushrooms and I'd love a quick and easy way to cook them on their own!

@Diamond Doll -- I will buy some mushrooms tomorrow and cook it again, just to remind myself; then I will post the recipe!

Update: I posted the recipe for microwave mushrooms. Sorry about the delay!

http://thetastebudtest.blogspot.ie/2016/01/mushrooms-in-micro.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My bottom of range microwave was giving trouble and I pondered not replacing it but with M.E it is so handy for heating ready meals when I am too tired to cook. I love the Admirals Pie meals and Dunnes have them on special at E1 frequently so I stock up then. Porridge too of course... and if I have made a batch of soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've got to say, i love the combi microwave, but we have a big family, and lots of family occasions, so the extra place to stick another tray of cocktail sausages for a birthday party is fierce handy.

I prefer popcorn from the hob, but with porridge most mornings, heating milk for the toddler's naps, zapping leftovers, and roped in for big groups of people to feed, it gets a lot of use here.

Read that they are banned now in some countries. Cannot remember which. sorry!

Graces7 wrote: »
    Read that they are banned now in some countries. Cannot remember which. sorry!

There is an urban internet legend that microwave ovens were banned in the Soviet Union in the 70s. This is most likely not true, since there isn't any evidence of it at all.

As far as I know they aren't banned in any country at present, although I'm sure Mercola and his clones disagree.

There is an urban internet legend that microwave ovens were banned in the Soviet Union in the 70s. This is most likely not true, since there isn't any evidence of it at all.

As far as I know they aren't banned in any country at present, although I'm sure Mercola and his clones disagree.

Well makes me wary and I know many who will not have them or use them more than needful . many so called myths turn out to have firm foundations. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Are-microwave-ovens-really-safe-30191828.html.. I know family in Canada feel as I do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That article is actually the opinion of an individual and was printed in 2012. It reminds me of the rubbish that surfaces every now and then, telling us that plastic bottles are poisoning us :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well makes me wary and I know many who will not have them or use them more than needful . many so called myths turn out to have firm foundations. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Are-microwave-ovens-really-safe-30191828.html.. I know family in Canada feel as I do.

Then they are deluded. The myth is long debunked. That article is one misguided opinion. As for people not using them more than needful; why have one at all then? We all use them only as needful surely.

Many myths turn out as you say but prove themselves to be just that - myths.

An easy to verify fact is not a myth. If you don't understand that, I can't help you.

each to his or her own ways and I avoid when I can what is under dispute and trust not experts or vested interests. My choice, my freedom. I use microwaves very seldom for that reason and have enough serious health issues without taking risks. The range is my real cooker. Old ways good ways. Over and out on this!

Advertisement