Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area where men face sexism: Looking for accommodation

Options
  • 03-11-2015 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

I've been searching for an apartment in the city centre for the past two months.
    I've had no luck so far. One of the things that's been increasingly p***ing me off
    is the amount of ads with "females only" or in some cases "preferably female"...preferably? nice to know I'm not preferred.
    This is just not on. I mean essentially it boils down to three things:

1. The landlord is a creep.

"Two rooms available in home. Please get in touch, Derek.... females only."
    Yea, we're onto you, Derek.

2. The landlord is just a blatant sexist and thinks men are smelly, unclean and hostile
    when compared to their female counterparts. There really is nothing to say to this. It's sexism.

3. This one is forgiven: it's a girl looking for a roomate in a double room. Fair enough.

Of the last ten ads I checked on a college noticeboard at least half had this caveat.

Landlords: stop being perverted and/or sexist. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Have you not heard? All men are rapists who can barely control their urges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Just communicate by text and email, and say you're female. Then when you show up with your big man head on ye, and they are all like "ehh... You're a dude, dude. It said females only". Be all up in thier sh1t like, "Hey hold it right there! I self-identify as female, and that makes me just as much a female as any of these skanks. Hate crime! Hate criiiiimmmmeee!"

Trangenderism is very on trend right now. They'll snap you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Of the last ten ads I checked on a college noticeboard at least half had this caveat.

Did the other half specify males only?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I applied for a female only house when I moved back to Ireland for college as it was reasonably priced and looked very nice. The landlady heard me out, let me the room and we were all happy out. I started going out with one of the girls which lasted for five years. Funnily enough, I was the cleanest out of the lot of them and because I was boxing I was never drinking or having mad parties in the gaff.

Moral of the story - assumptions based on gender are often a load of cod.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I dunno man, tbh I'd appreciate knowing the landlord is a sexist pervert beforehand so I could avoid the place, rather than find out after I'd moved in, but that's just me...

"Psycho" shower scene music in my head now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

2. The landlord is just a blatant sexist and thinks men are smelly, unclean and hostile

Maybe he thinks they're more likely to be those things

And he probably wouldn't be wrong to hold that belief either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Actually every landlord I've had says the exact opposite about the cleanliness part, and if you've ever stayed in the likes of a backpacker hostel you should ask the staff which is worse to clean... the girls rooms or the guys. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Have you ever shared with females?! The dirty ones are far worse than any male I've ever shared with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I'm a landlord and have two sets of tenants since I started, all men. So I'm not sexism. I'm am however, incredibly racist to make up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Lots of girls don't want to share with a guys. Not necessarily in a double room, but just in general.

I doubt it has anything to do with being perceived as "filthy" and more with the girl wanting to be able to go up to the kitchen/living room in her nightie or underwear without someone checking her out, or feeling uncomfortable about leaving "feminine hygiene products" in bathrooms, etc. Some are hoping for a friend they can share clothes/shoes with. Some are just shy around men in general.

All of these are fine. If it's something the landlord is imposing because of preconceived notions of male cleanliness, that's not on. If it's the other person who is going to be living there, it makes perfect sense. Assuming you were able to secure accommodation with someone felt unable (for legal or other reasons) to be upfront about their gender preference and ended up taking you on as a result, how pleasant to you imagine that living environment would be?

Some girls are don't want to live with guys. That's their choice. Why would you want to live with someone who felt uneasy in your presence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Lots of girls don't want to share with a guys. Not necessarily in a double room, but just in general.

Cool. Let's change that to a pub. What if there are men who want to drink in the company of other men, and don't like the presence of women there?

Double standards please, and a splash coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BigManBigVan

Why would you want to live with someone who felt uneasy in your presence?

Because I want to fcuk them...

*I'll get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I've been searching for an apartment in the city centre for the past two months.
    I've had no luck so far. One of the things that's been increasingly p***ing me off
    is the amount of ads with "females only" or in some cases "preferably female"...preferably? nice to know I'm not preferred.

when compared to their female counterparts. There really is nothing to say to this. It's sexism.

3. This one is forgiven: it's a girl looking for a roomate in a double room. Fair enough.

In my experience, it is always women/girls who have "Females Only" on their ads. I've never seen a guy have it on an ad - have you? Any examples?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Have you ever shared with females?! The dirty ones are far worse than any male I've ever shared with.

I've shared with both and don't disagree that girls can be filthy when it comes to cleanliness, but I'd definitely say that young men would be far more likely to cause actual damage to a property either deliberately or through horseplay

It's a sad truth but if I had a house to let I'd generally prefer a group of females in it than a group of males.

discus wrote: »
    Cool. Let's change that to a pub. What if there are men who want to drink in the company of other men, and don't like the presence of women there?

A public house is, as the name suggests, a public convenience which anyone must always have the right use. (Though aren't there still male-only golf clubs? I don't play golf, so I wouldn't know. Gentlemen's Clubs? In the UK almost certainly, if not here.)

A private residence, even when being rented, remains private property. It's someone's home, their respite from the world.

Why would you want to share that kind of private space with someone who would prefer you were someone else? Surely if that's what you're after, it's marriage you want, not a flatshare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

How can it be a double standard when it's a completely different situation? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Well they're entitled to those preferences but it's against the law. There are bars where men predominantly frequent, so I suppose they go there. Obviously if a woman walks in, by law they can't stop them. People have an idea of the kind of housemate they want be it a specific gender, sexual orientation, physical appearance and they "discriminate" when choosing but in this case, they've advertised those preferences. The difference between a bar and a privately-owed flat is the landlord of the latter is more likely to get away with it - nobody reports this occurrence because in my experience, men don't kick up the fuss women do so they'll continue to get away it. It's an easy to complain as start a thread about it on Boards, though I have no idea who you'd complain to or if it's even illegal.

Just to give an example, there was an ad on an expat website today in the country I live in from a man looking for a female secretary and "only good-looking women need to apply". Immediately the ad was reported and it was taken down. If it annoys you, you have to complain or they'll continue to get away with it.

Edit: You could look at it this way: they're saving you time - even if they don't put it in the ad, if they have a preference for a female housemate, they won't pick you anyway.

A public house is, as the name suggests, a public convenience which anyone must always have the right use.

lol... that's not what the name suggests at all.

It only refers to the premises having a licence to sell alcohol to the public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Have you not heard? All men are rapists who can barely control their urges.
    No I haven't heard that - from anyone who is worth acknowledging anyway.

I've seen "males only" house-share ads. Doesn't bother me - they presumably just want to hang out at home day to day with lads, and that's fine in my opinion.

I knew of a landlord who wouldn't let to guys because one group of guys had trashed his house. Thought that was bad form - one group of guys meaning all guys will mess up your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

indeed
    http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/sleazy-dublin-landlord-offering-cheap-room-for-sexual-favours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Men, a bad minority brings problems for the good majority.
    Or was it the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Yes, I had to share a room with a girl from Dundee for almost six weeks in Sydney before. She really was the most untidy person I've ever had the misfortune of cohabiting with in my life.

She was clean herself I suppose, but her dirty clothes (including the undies) were all around the room all the time, and I always knew when it was her time off the month (used to leave the sanitary towels lying around) not dirty ones just to be clear!

Dirty dishes, unmade beds, shoes everywhere, .etc etc.

She was dead sound though, in fairness, used to roll me the odd joint, and used to change in front of me in the mornings and evenings after her work.

You'd be surprised how quickly you'd forget about someone else's mess when your stoned out of your box and looking at two nice ta-ta's bouncing freely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Azalea wrote: »
    No I haven't heard that - from anyone who is worth acknowledging anyway.

I've seen "males only" house-share ads. Doesn't bother me - they presumably just want to hang out at home day to day with lads, and that's fine in my opinion.

I knew of a landlord who wouldn't let to guys because one group of guys had trashed his house. Thought that was bad form - one group of guys meaning all guys will mess up your home.

This form of exclusion operates vastly more one way than another though.

Take a room in dublin between 450 and 650.
    Total number of results on Daft is 187.

If your a woman there is 173 flats available, meaning 14 places exclude you.
    Thats 7.5% of places.

If your a man there is 134 places available, meaning 53 places exclude you.
    Thats 28.3% of places

Its easy to say its no big deal when it doesn't actually have any impact on you, imagine a quarter to a third of something excluded you because of your gender, I'd imagine you'd change your mind fairly quickly about it being a big deal or not.
    Check your privilege (actually bad that I can use that in seriousness :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My ex was outstandingly untidy. She had two floordrobes- the bedroom and the living room...

Triatra wrote: »
    A public house is a private business.

But they are prevented from discrimination just the same. Someone providing a service is different to someone looking for a person to share their home.
    lol... that's not what the name suggests at all.

I said "suggests", not "is derived from".
    You could look at it this way: they're saving you time - even if they don't put it in the ad, if they have a preference for a female housemate, they won't pick you anyway.

Exactly. I'd rather save myself the bother-- and again, even if I did end up getting the room, I imagine the atmosphere would be horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

bee06 wrote: »
    I'm a landlord and have two sets of tenants since I started, all men. So I'm not sexism. I'm am however, incredibly racist to make up for it!

No blacks, no dogs, no Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well they're entitled to those preferences but it's against the law. There are bars where men predominantly frequent, so I suppose they go there. Obviously if a woman walks in, by law they can't stop them.
    But if a man walks into an women's only gym... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Billy86 wrote: »
    But if a man walks into an women's only gym... :pac:

Well indeed. Does this bother you at all?

Up until very recently, women weren't allowed join Portmarnock Golf Club in Dublin as a member but are now after considerable pressure from predominantly female groups and a couple of court cases, the policy has been changed. As I said, women are better at kicking up a **** storm about this stuff, I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 LeTickler

Land baron here.
    Ive had one female stay in my place at the same time that i was there, and only becuse she was a friend of a friend. All other times ive sought/chosen males, not because im gay* and like the taste of penis** but because a female would be all awkward around me and do the whole 'youre a creepy man for merely being in my presence' thing and could make a false accusation if I had no witness (i only want 1 person sharing the gaff).

*im not.
    ** i do but only my own.

So it works both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Whatever about females only, daft and the other sites seriously need to start separating ads advertising a shared bedroom.

"Room available in great location" Oh that looks interesting! Clicks into ad..

"You will be sharing a room with a *insert nationality here* man" Go f**k yourself.

Advertisement