Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area where men face sexism: Looking for accommodation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

LeTickler wrote: »
    Land baron here.
    Ive had one female stay in my place at the same time that i was there, and only becuse she was a friend of a friend. All other times ive sought/chosen males, not because im gay* and like the taste of penis** but because a female would be all awkward around me and do the whole 'youre a creepy man for merely being in my presence' thing and could make a false accusation if I had no witness (i only want 1 person sharing the gaff).

*im not.
    ** i do but only my own.

So it works both ways.

If they think you're a creep for being in their presence they'd want their head examined

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Canadel wrote: »
    Whatever about females only, daft and the other sites seriously need to start separating ads advertising a shared bedroom.

"Room available in great location" Oh that looks interesting! Clicks into ad..

"You will be sharing a room with a *insert nationality here* man" Go f**k yourself.

And landlords advertising rooms as not being owner occupied when they are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 LeTickler

If they think you're a creep for being in their presence they'd want their head examined

Id examine the tops of their heads alright.

From my spyhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Where I'm living is all lads but it's not advertised that way when a room comes free. Quite happy for a girl to move in if they seem ok.

But some ads on daft can be very misleading I remember viewing a couple before and it was owner occupied when the ad says it wasn't. I wouldn't ever live with a landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

This form of exclusion operates vastly more one way than another though.

Take a room in dublin between 450 and 650.
    Total number of results on Daft is 187.

If your a woman there is 173 flats available, meaning 14 places exclude you.
    Thats 7.5% of places.

If your a man there is 134 places available, meaning 53 places exclude you.
    Thats 28.3% of places

Its easy to say its no big deal when it doesn't actually have any impact on you, imagine a quarter to a third of something excluded you because of your gender, I'd imagine you'd change your mind fairly quickly about it being a big deal or not.
    Check your privilege (actually bad that I can use that in seriousness :o )
    Yeah that's quite the disparity. What I mean though is that the reasons for it aren't usually going to be "men are rapists!" - girls' house-shares can often be the girlie cliché, and it's felt men would simply not feel comfortable there. I've never heard any girl ever say "I'd never share with a man - he could be a rapist!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well indeed. Does this bother you at all?

Up until very recently, women weren't allowed join Portmarnock Golf Club in Dublin as a member but are now after considerable pressure from predominantly female groups and a couple of court cases, the policy has been changed. As I said, women are better at kicking up a **** storm about this stuff, I think.
    It actually very much did a while back when the only gym close to me was a Curves. I just think exclusion on either side is a bad thing - if a gym has a problem with leering male customers, ban them. Don't ban all men, because that is pretty much by definition, discrimination.

I do agree women are better at kicking off a fuss since they're used to having to do so over the last century or so, but at the same time I would still love to ask one of those who were pressuring Portmarnock (who's male only policy was wrong, in my opinion) what their opinion on Curves was. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

Billy86 wrote: »
    It actually very much did a while back when the only gym close to me was a Curves. I just think exclusion on either side is a bad thing - if a gym has a problem with leering male customers, ban them. Don't ban all men, because that is pretty much by definition, discrimination.

I do agree women are better at kicking off a fuss since they're used to having to do so over the last century or so, but at the same time I would still love to ask one of those who were pressuring Portmarnock (who's male only policy was wrong, in my opinion) what their opinion on Curves was. :p

I wonder. I wouldn't automatically assume they don't think it's unfair though.

I suppose most people are only going to complain about the things that affect them. I personally don't have an issue with one gender only places as long as it doesn't impinge on my life like it did for you when you were looking for a gym. I don't complain for the sake of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Bedeutung

Billy86 wrote: »

Hold on a minute, the same women who kicked up a fuss over a century ago aren't still alive to be kicking up a fuss now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Sexist or not, meh.

I find it more disturbing that there is a need to share a room with a complete stranger.
    I dont even want to share an apartment or house with a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

inforfun wrote: »
    Sexist or not, meh.

I find it more disturbing that there is a need to share a room with a complete stranger.
    I dont even want to share an apartment or house with a stranger.

Is this how bad things have become where landlords are packing people into rooms tenement style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Would these women share with a gay man? are they all just afraid he'll perv on them while theyre changing, because he's male, and she's female, is that it? really?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, I've placed ads on Daft in the past for females only. We had a house-share that had been a mix of 3 guys and 2 girls since before I moved into it and it worked incredibly well for us so we wanted to keep that balance. Having women around stopped the atmosphere from becoming too much like a rugby club weekend away and we had a good influence on them in regards to keeping communal areas tidy (in all my time house-sharing I think I only ever met 2 girls who didn't use the floor as additional wardrobe space).

A couple of the girls commented that they'd found all-female house shares having a propensity to end up with a lot of in-fighting and bitching about each other whereas with a few lads in the house that didn't happen.

Plus we all got the benefit of getting introduced to each other's single friends. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'll tell you one thing lads , I've lived in shared accomadation for almost 6 years before I bought my own house and I've lived with all sorts of differant people , nationalities.

In this generation , men are cleaner than women , at least most of the blokes I lived with were spotless and a lot of the girls were just lazy , messy and unorganised.

Also , the lads were better at cooking. Out of most of my friends male and female most of the girls would burn water and in comparison the lads are great cooks.

Times be changing , women soon be starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I lived with 2 guys and a girl in college. The lads told me that the girl had mentioned to them in conversation that she found me the creepiest. I was woefully appalled that I gave off this persona and was force to stop masturbating in the sitting room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭timsnewbridge

Sleepy wrote: »
    Having women around stopped the atmosphere from becoming too much like a rugby club weekend away

Oh come on, men have a range of personalities, the balance you're looking for can be achieved without assuming particular attributes are inherent in one or the other sex. All you have to do is meet the potential tenant before making such a judgment. Five minutes with me, and indeed many other men, would have you realise we'd do nothing but subtract from such a 'rugby club' atmosphere. Shockingly, some men are peaceful, quiet, clean and don't party often. (I don't even like sport or drinking :eek:)
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Plus we all got the benefit of getting introduced to each other's single friends.

The real reason rears its head I see

• Registered Users Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Oh come on, men have a range of personalities, the balance you're looking for can be achieved without assuming particular attributes are inherent in one or the other sex. All you have to do is meet the potential tenant before making such a judgment. Five minutes with me, and indeed many other men, would have you realise we'd do nothing but subtract from such a 'rugby club' atmosphere. Shockingly, some men are peaceful, quiet, clean and don't party often. (I don't even like sport or drinking :eek:)
    I'm hardly a big sports fan myself, I'd watch the 6 Nations and the odd Connacht match but couldn't care less about football. I found that when houses were all male they tend to get a bit "frat house" and a little juvenille. Having women around tends to reduce that.

Of course it's entirely possible to find a house to share with four male strangers that won't act that way but I found it easier to play the odds when living away from home.

Once we had that balance in place, if one of the guys was moving, we'd place a uni-sex ad (as it'd have still left us balanced 60/40 either way) but if one of the girls moved out it would have left the remaining girl living with 4 guys and there aren't many women who are game for that.
    The real reason rears its head I see
    Hey, it worked both ways, one of my flatmates scored a few of my male friends and one of the lads actually ended up married to one of the other's cousins.

Advertisement