Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitten won't eat

• 03-11-2015 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I have an 11 week old kitten that won't eat food.
    I have tried kitten specific, various types, changing dishes and location, all with no success.
    The only thing he'll take is whiskas cat milk.
    I've tried mixing food with the milk and that's no good either.
    He's never eaten much.
    He doesn't seem to drink water either.
    I mentioned it to the vet when he got his shots at 9 weeks.
    The vet wasn't concerned.
    We have an appointment with the vet on Friday, but I was hoping someone could ease my worry for him in the mean time.
    He does use his litter tray, twice a day.
    Might it be a phase?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Do you know if he was eating food when you got him? When I got my Kovu he was only seven or eight weeks but was eating food with his siblings.
    I wonder if yours knows if it should be eating food iykwim. Have you any other cat you could put to eat with him so he can watch and mimic?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Thanks for the reply.
    I was told he was weened and eating.
    I don't have another cat.
    I thought he didn't know how to drink water, but he drinks the milk.
    He has eaten small amounts of food, so can eat.
    He's asleep in my arm now!
    He purrs and is playful, but scrawny looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I got mine eating by feeding him small bits of jelly (from a kittenfood packet) off my fingers. Although at the time he was travelling in a handbag from Dublin to Mayo on a bus with me :pac: Can you find out what food he was eating at his old home? It may be just that he's unsure of the new stuff.
    You could try mixing very small amounts of pate type wet food into his milk every day, slowly increasing it. Like a teaspoon of wet food in a few tablespoons of cat milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I found my kitten (along with her dead siblings) when she was only a few weeks old. She was bottle fed kitten milk. When it came time to wean her (shes my first cat, I havent a clue!!) I treated her as I would a puppy... warmed food to make it 'smellier'. TINY TINY TINY bits of food on my finger. In my ignorance, I kept giving her on or two meals/day of kitten milk, and then a couple of snacks of 'solid' food too - MINCED up chicken breast moistened with kitten milk, MINCED up tinned tuna, MINCED up white fish - little bits on my finger initially, then worked up to a tiny bit on the floor, while I sat beside her, then into a little flat dish - adding little bits of kitten milk, so it was like a floating 'island' in the milk, oh just remembered, used to give her a little bit of gree-style probiotic natural yogurt too - it was nearly 'solid' - might be worth a try. Shes a fully grown healthy happy cat now - only eats at night pretty much :confused: - and isnt really food-centric (which is odd for me, as every dog I own has always been very food orientated) So dont worry, you will get there!

Thanks again for the replies. I'll try morsels.

• Advertisement

Worked already. Delighted and relieved! Thank you.

Advertisement