Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Smarter Travel Cycling Consultation

• 04-11-2015 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

Limerick Smarter Travel are hosting a consultation evening to ask local cyclists to guide cycling infrastructure development over the next 10 years.

Although, I don't think one 2-hour session is nearly sufficient to adequately canvass the public on this, I think it's still pretty important that cyclists buy in to the process and get their views into the mix.

I hope this link works - Limerick Smarter Travel Cycling Consultation

For what it's worth, I think Limerick could be a great city for cycling and we could get a lot more people out of their cars and onto bikes, but we've a long way to go before that is realistic.

A few points that would help Limerick make that transition:

- the traffic system requires a total overhaul as it is overly deferential to motorised traffic and an impediment to cycling uptake. One way streets in particular should become a thing of the past.
    - there are some very treacherous routes for cyclists and these need to be made more safe though the provision of cycle lanes and slowing of vehicular traffic.
    - cars must be routed around the city centre rather than through it insofar as possible (many of the inner city streets should be closed to vehicular traffic completely. This would not be as difficult or as damaging to the city as many believe and would likely bring about a net benefit to Limerick).
    - continued rollout of the public bikes scheme to outer lying areas.
    - as is happening in other countries, the trialling of a system where cyclists can go through red lights (with pedestrian priority) should be considered.

For some inspiration on what can be done in a city like Limerick, check out what was done in Groningen in The Netherlands.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

As someone who is very pro-cycling and uses a bike around town quite a bit, it does my head in to see so many people run red lights, cycle on paths and just do illegal/stupid/ignorant things.

It's not just infrastructure that needs changing, it's people's behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

important too that where they do install cycle lanes they need to be maintained too. Rubbish and debris on Condell Road isn't too bad but there is a road linking Ennis Road to Condel Road by Woodies which is appallling state and no amount of phone calls or letter to council seem to make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

As someone who is very pro-cycling and uses a bike around town quite a bit, it does my head in to see so many people run red lights, cycle on paths and just do illegal/stupid/ignorant things.

It's not just infrastructure that needs changing, it's people's behaviour.

There's a good article here about whether cyclists should be allowed go through red lights or not. Well worth a read.

Also, on the issue of cycling on paths I can understand why some cyclists do it. It's simply too dangerous to cycle on many of our roads. As well as that, maybe cyclists should be allowed cycle on footpaths, as they are in other countries. We seem to have a bee in our bonnet about it here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

zulutango wrote: »
    There's a good article here about whether cyclists should be allowed go through red lights or not. Well worth a read.

Also, on the issue of cycling on paths I can understand why some cyclists do it. It's simply too dangerous to cycle on many of our roads. As well as that, maybe cyclists should be allowed cycle on footpaths, as they are in other countries. We seem to have a bee in our bonnet about it here in Ireland.

Well, a cyclist broke a red light last night near The Strand Hotel and nearly ended up on my bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »

I was walking in the Condell Road the other evening, a cyclist came from behind me and as he passed me he clipped me on my shoulder. He never stopped to check was I alright.

There are two cycle lanes on that road with a restricted speed limit yet he felt he needed to cycle on the pavement.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    I was walking in the Condell Road the other evening, a cyclist came from behind me and as he passed me he clipped me on my shoulder. He never stopped to check was I alright.

There are two cycle lanes on that road with a restricted speed limit yet he felt he needed to cycle on the pavement.

Poor form alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

People need to use common sense. If a road is dangerous and the path is clear or at least big enough to accommodate a cyclist and walker then they should be allowed use it. If not then either get off the bike or try navigate the road as best you can. People who cycle on paths that are clearly full of pedestrians and not easy to navigate are just idiots.

On the going through red lights, I saw a cyclist who looked fairly experienced, had an expensive bike, all the cycling gear on. He went straight through the red light at the junction of upper Gerald griffin street and sexton street. The lights were green for sexton street. It was so dangerous it was incredible. Both streets are completely blind to each other and totally reliant on the lights.

My brother was driving recently and as he came around the Castletroy roundabout, 6 cyclists came flying onto the roundabout, did not stop, he beeped them and they just gave him the finger as if to say what's your problem. They clearly broke the rules of the road not giving right of way to traffic already on the roundabout and once again it was an extremely dangerous situation yet they seemed oblivious to it.

Cruises street, Bedford row, Thomas street and William street could all have been given cycle lanes but have not been. I'd actually avoid cycling on the pedestrian streets because first of all you would get dirty looks off everyone walking for cycling on their street and secondly there is no basic lanes to help you navigate if it was a busy day on those streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Would be fantastic with the new upgraded train station if they made it bike friendly with loads of Coke bikes and parking for bicycles. Cycle lanes then going right down to the centre of town. It would create a good habit of people arriving in Limerick and knowing they can hop on a bike and be down town in a matter of minutes safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

Hopefully they will read this thread - good suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Jofspring wrote: »
    Would be fantastic with the new upgraded train station if they made it bike friendly with loads of Coke bikes and parking for bicycles. Cycle lanes then going right down to the centre of town. It would create a good habit of people arriving in Limerick and knowing they can hop on a bike and be down town in a matter of minutes safely.

Well they have earmarked the station for a coke bikes station when the plaza is complete, and the revamp of Davis Street will have an inbound cycle lane as far as Baker Place. The city definitely does need city centre cycle lanes though if they are serious about getting people out of their cars.

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    Well they have earmarked the station for a coke bikes station when the plaza is complete, and the revamp of Davis Street will have an inbound cycle lane as far as Baker Place. The city definitely does need city centre cycle lanes though if they are serious about getting people out of their cars.

I think they should just close a lot of streets to cars. Have a few main arteries for traffic such as Roches Street, Mallow Street, O'Connell Street and Henry Street and close the other streets to cars. You'd lose a lot of on street parking but traffic would flow a lot more freely as you'd be greatly reducing the number of junctions and the city would be more amenable to cyclists and pedestrians too. Solve the on-street parking issue by building a few more multi-storeys.

Advertisement