Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to finish house

Options
  • 03-11-2015 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I didn't get a reply in a different threat so I'll try here. You can move it if needs be mods....

Just looking at houses in our area, they're a builders finish. Everything is wired bathrooms are fixed. You'd be looking at kitchen, painting, fireplace, fixtures and fittings, floors, appliances. Has anybody any experience with this? I understand the houses to be 125 square meters 1350sq foot. Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Santy2015 wrote: »
    I didn't get a reply in a different threat so I'll try here. You can move it if needs be mods....

Just looking at houses in our area, they're a builders finish. Everything is wired bathrooms are fixed. You'd be looking at kitchen, painting, fireplace, fixtures and fittings, floors, appliances. Has anybody any experience with this? I understand the houses to be 125 square meters 1350sq foot. Any help would be appreciated

How long is a piece of string? Kitchens can be anywhere from 2k to 40k, fireplaces can be 50 quid to 10k, painting can be 200-300 quid or well upwards of 5k. It entirely depends on what you want, what you are willing to do and what you are willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

How long is a piece of string? Kitchens can be anywhere from 2k to 40k, fireplaces can be 50 quid to 10k, painting can be 200-300 quid or well upwards of 5k. It entirely depends on what you want, what you are willing to do and what you are willing to pay.
    Only looking to see what people might have done. We'll be first time buyers soon. All I wanted was a ball park figure. Nothing astronomical. I'm sure people spend a lot more but our budget would be tight. Thinking around 10/15k mark once all other things are sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Only looking to see what people might have done. We'll be first time buyers soon. All I wanted was a ball park figure. Nothing astronomical. I'm sure people spend a lot more but our budget would be tight. Thinking around 10/15k mark once all other things are sorted

Try the construction and planning forum.

To be honest just get lads in and get them to quote. I got my kitchen done as a nixer in my apartment by a guy off boards and he did a bloody brilliant job. Oneshotkill or something similar was his username at the time.

Google quotes from tradesmen to find websites that will help you.

Try the construction and planning forum.

Thanks MarkAnthony, I'll look into the forum. I did post into a similar thread that dealt with the builders finish but got no reply, might start my own thread. ðŸ˜Â႒ðŸ‘Â

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Hi Santy

You will always get the same reply on boards when asking for quotations fo anything to do with houses.. oh how would we know, things can cost anything, what about gold plated taps! etc. and sometimes this is quite justified..

However assuming you are willing to go without the gold taps and granite worktops your estimate of 15k should be plenty, to come in as low as 10k you would want to be doing a lot of the work yourself.

The kitchen will be the most expensive item you have listed so any savings here will have a big effect on budget... I would not rule out purchasing a kitchen from the likes of Homebase etc. in the Jan sale and getting a fitter seperately.. the quality is the exact same as most of this stuff is all comming out of China.. it is the fitting which will determin the quality of the finished kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

bombadil wrote: »
    Hi Santy

You will always get the same reply on boards when asking for quotations fo anything to do with houses.. oh how would we know, things can cost anything, what about gold plated taps! etc. and sometimes this is quite justified..

However assuming you are willing to go without the gold taps and granite worktops your estimate of 15k should be plenty, to come in as low as 10k you would want to be doing a lot of the work yourself.

The kitchen will be the most expensive item you have listed so any savings here will have a big effect on budget... I would not rule out purchasing a kitchen from the likes of Homebase etc. in the Jan sale and getting a fitter seperately.. the quality is the exact same as most of this stuff is all comming out of China.. it is the fitting which will determin the quality of the finished kitchen.

Are you a builder? I only ask as you're six weeks late :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bombadil

Ha..ha.. fair point MarkAnthony!

Thanks Bombadil,
    Was thinking that 15/20k would be plenty considering we'll do a fair bit of the work ourselves with help from family and so on. There's ikea to think of as well haha

Advertisement