Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels that accept cash in Cork

Options
  • 04-11-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi,

I wanted to book a hotel in Cork for the weekend but I lost my debit card and there's a good chance I wont have a replacement till Monday.

Do you know of any hotels that accept cash payment?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Do hotels not generally accept cash, i.e. actual money? When did this become a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

It happened to me once before.
    Had no card on me and couldn't get a room

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Pay in advance for the room and offer to leave a deposit which you get back on checkout. It's a security thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

dubbeat wrote: »
    Hi,

I wanted to book a hotel in Cork for the weekend but I lost my debit card and there's a good chance I wont have a replacement till Monday.

Do you know of any hotels that accept cash payment?

Thanks!

Jury's inn accept cash as far as I know as they don't have mini bars - prob best to check but I was in a similar situation in Dublin recently when I left my card in Cork & they happily accepted cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I can't see it being a problem if you explain - I've had to do that before and it wasn't a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MaryMD

Gosh I can't imagine that would be a problem in any hotel

MaryMD wrote: »
    Gosh I can't imagine that would be a problem in any hotel

It's a problem when someone books in, pays cash and damages the room with no card details to charge to. Hotel I worked in years ago allowed cash no problem. Book with a card and that way you can pay cash on check out. If you didn't have access to a card, then you paid cash up front with a deposit which was returned on checkout. Didn't want to do that or had no money for deposit, then you weren't allowed to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

The last few times I used Booking.com, I've paid in cash at the hotel on check in! This was in Dublin though.

retweet wrote: »
    The last few times I used Booking.com, I've paid in cash at the hotel on check in! This was in Dublin though.

But you've most likely used a card with booking.com I'm guessing. Not the same as you still need a card. OP needed a hotel without a card at all. Paying cash at check-in / check-out really isn't a problem for hotels. The card is usually a security thing. Something gets broken, they can charge the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Your not on a sneaker are you OP:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Yawns wrote: »
    But you've most likely used a card with booking.com I'm guessing. Not the same as you still need a card. OP needed a hotel without a card at all. Paying cash at check-in / check-out really isn't a problem for hotels. The card is usually a security thing. Something gets broken, they can charge the card.

He does not need the card itself .Just the card number ,expiry date ,and the security number at the back to book on line .Then pay cash at the Hotel.
    P.S, its a good idea to scan your card and e-mail it to yourself ,so you always have the details online .

I'm not saying you need an actual card. A booking is generally made with a card tho. By that I mean card details. Card details are taken as a security thing. You can pay cash all you like. OP didn't have any card details to hand at the time tho. I'm sure he could have rang a friend to ask them to book with their card details under his name and he paid with cash if he really had to.

Also it's not a good idea to email yourself a copy of your card details or indeed save them as form information within a web browser like chrome etc ask you do to. Email accounts are hacked a lot especially if a user isn't aware of malware or spyware. Easiest solution if you have lost a card is carry cash or if need a card like the OP, ring someone close like a parent or sibling or friend and explain situation. Use their card as a security thing but don't charge anything to it. Pay with cash. If you lose a card, you can still withdraw money from your bank account with ID if needed. Just not less than 700 euro with BOI anymore. But that's a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

^I email details to myself ,but use a code only I know .Example add a one to each number .3521 for example is really 2410 on my card .

Advertisement